C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 GS Tire Situation . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 10:37 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Default C6 GS Tire Situation . . .

So my 2013 GS still has the OEM Goodyear runflats (which I am replacing in about 6 months) , which of course are summer tires. Goodyear advises extreme care if driving in temps below 40 degrees, but not to move the car at all in temps below 20 degrees or the tires may freeze and crack.

I live in Maryland, where we have been stuck in a weather pattern where temps have been in the teens or single digits, with no end in sight. But my GS is due for its official Maryland emissions inspection by the end of the week. If I miss I incur a fine, but its only $15 for each month I'm late. In 40 years I've never paid a fine for being late.

This time I'm thinking I'm gonna wait until the weather warms up, even if its two months from now. Thirty bucks is a lot cheaper then an accident.

But I know from reading other posts here people drive on summer tires in the cold. Just wondering, who here would say screw it and just drive on the summer Goodyears ? The drive would be about 30 minutes, it is damn cold here, and the roads are frozen.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:41 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Sounds like a lot of risk for $15-30 driving on icy roads. You could probably explain the situation and have the fee waived no?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:01 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

It's going to be around 30 for the next two days, drive it.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:05 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I would not drive it just to save $30. I would also look into changing the "due date" of the inspection so you do not have to go through this every time it is up. Just an FYI, there are now A/S tires in GS sizes.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:31 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Got the same problem of sorts, since my plate renewal is due in Dec, and have to smog test the car every two years to get the plates renewed every other year.

So before the winter freeze/snow sets in, will take the car down to smog a few month early to have the test done when it still warm, and when I go to renew the plates in December and driving the truck instead, already have the vet smog paperwork in hand, without having to take the vet out in the cold weather instead.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:02 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Tire Temps

I also have a 13 GS with the OEM Goodyears. I have driven the car a few times with the temps in the 20’s F and have not had any problems with cracking etc. I have heard about not driving in temps below 20 F and looked for it but could not find any official Goodyear literature that says that. Can you verify there is such a official warning.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:03 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Judgebull
I also have a 13 GS with the OEM Goodyears. I have driven the car a few times with the temps in the 20’s F and have not had any problems with cracking etc. I have heard about not driving in temps below 20 F and looked for it but could not find any official Goodyear literature that says that. Can you verify there is such a official warning.
Here you go.

(My GS is a 6-speed manual with magnetic ride, a sort of rare combination of only 500 cars, and those cars came with the GY F1 Supercar G2 ( generation 2) tires. After they stopped making C6s, GM put those tires on SS Camaros. Then the complaints started and there were hundreds of discussions in the Camaro world. Then
GM issued this bulletin

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...82862-5448.pdf

Not sure if the G1 (generation 1) tires on other GS's are similar but I suspect yes. But they are not included in the bulletin as they were no longer sold on any new GM vehicles. Some of the first C7s had similar cracking issues with their Michelins too. All a bit ridiculous.

And here is one thread on this forum:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ather-use.html

Bottom line, my G2 tires suck.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:08 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks for the info... I am a believer now
Old 01-03-2018, 08:18 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Depends on what time of day and expected temps in your area. If you have the chance to wait for the time when the temp gets above 20, do so. If not, it's a chance that the tires might have issues, but not that much. Plus, $15 for an added month or two, not worth it if you are worried.

Note it's 4 degrees right now where I live, going to a high of 33 around 3 pm per accuweather.

Last edited by AORoads; 01-03-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

I wouldn't worry about damaging the Tires since you say you're replacing them soon anyways but...it doesn't matter what brand, season tire etc..No tire will have really good traction in the cold so you MUST drive differently in the cold weather not to wreck the car! I used to ride motorcycle year round (Atlanta Ga) and the back wheel of the bike would constantly spin if accelerated even slightly hard, so drive easily..
Old 01-03-2018, 01:41 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Judgebull
Thanks for the info... I am a believer now
No problem !

It s really crazy . . . if you look at that bulletin the only tires in the entire document with a warning in bold that says, "DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE" in temps under 20 degrees is the Goodyear Supercar runflats. Exactly whats on my GS.

Still unbelievable to me they could even sell a car with a tire like that and get away with it, and my biggest complaint about the car.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
No problem !

It s really crazy . . . if you look at that bulletin the only tires in the entire document with a warning in bold that says, "DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE" in temps under 20 degrees is the Goodyear Supercar runflats. Exactly whats on my GS.

Still unbelievable to me they could even sell a car with a tire like that and get away with it, and my biggest complaint about the car.
All tires are a compromise. The Corvette being a high performance automobile comes with Summer performance tires that offer the most grip in warmer temperatures. If you put tires suited for cold temps then they wont perform well in warmer temperatures. I have dedicated Winter tires for my daily driver (Honda Accord) and it makes a big difference in these cold temperatures. However, in the Summer if I didn't switch them out they wouldn't grip well and would wear out very fast.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:13 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
All tires are a compromise. The Corvette being a high performance automobile comes with Summer performance tires that offer the most grip in warmer temperatures. If you put tires suited for cold temps then they wont perform well in warmer temperatures. I have dedicated Winter tires for my daily driver (Honda Accord) and it makes a big difference in these cold temperatures. However, in the Summer if I didn't switch them out they wouldn't grip well and would wear out very fast.
Thanks and I understand and get all that . . . been driving 40 years and have had many cars and SUVs with summer tires, winter tires and all season tires. Currently we own three SUVs, a RWD BMW and my Corvette.

My point is they sold me a car with tires that they later warned CAN NOT BE MOVED AT ALL OR THE TIRES WILL CRACK in temperatures under 20 degrees. I think that is a bit excessive for any street automobile, even a high performance vehicle. I received no such information when I bought my brand new GS.

Thats because they did not issue those warnings until 3 years later, after they wisely stopped selling those GY tires as OEM equipment, regardless of their supposedly high performance.

I have been ok keeping my Vette in our garage and its water under the bridge now, but I still think those tires should have been optional and not my only choice when they sold me the car at a dealer in a state where the winter temperatures get below 20 degrees every year.

I still absolutely love my GS, but once they issued those ridiculous warnings that the car could not be moved at all, they should have issued a recall and replaced my dangerous tires with another brand or model. Just my $.02. But as I said, I am ready for new tires this spring anyway.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:25 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

just drive it already!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:25 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Dam you are still on original tires? Wait until spring for sticker and then go have some fun in the corners and wear them out.
😃
Old 01-03-2018, 11:47 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 161 Posts

I have a 13 GS with the original garbage tires (10k miles). I’ve never had any issues driving in the cold thie past 4 winters I’ve owned the car..
Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
...My point is they sold me a car with tires that they later warned CAN NOT BE MOVED AT ALL OR THE TIRES WILL CRACK in temperatures under 20 degrees. I think that is a bit excessive for any street automobile, even a high performance vehicle. I received no such information when I bought my brand new GS.

I have been ok keeping my Vette in our garage and its water under the bridge now, but I still think those tires should have been optional and not my only choice when they sold me the car at a dealer in a state where the winter temperatures get below 20 degrees every year.

I still absolutely love my GS, but once they issued those ridiculous warnings that the car could not be moved at all, they should have issued a recall and replaced my dangerous tires with another brand or model. Just my $.02. But as I said, I am ready for new tires this spring anyway.

Thanks again.
Until Michelin came out with all seasons in GS sizes in fall 2017, there were no tires for the GS that were not summer only (and therefore subject to cracking at very low temperatures). Thus, GM could not have made summer tires optional on Grand Sports even if they wanted.

I have a '13 GS myself and I put the (just introduced) Michelin all seasons on it last week. They replaced the OEM tires, which, while driveable into the high 20's, were pretty damned slick at those temps. I spun out one time turning into a parking lot at normal speed. Thankfully there wasn't a car sitting there waiting to exit the lot or I would have slid right into it. I remember another forum member saying they spun out on a curved interstate on-ramp.

So if you do choose to drive on the OEM tires when the temps are below freezing, do it very slowly and very carefully.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 GS Tire Situation . . .

Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 590 Posts

I had a set of Michelin's years ago that broke in low temperature. All four completely destroyed. Michelin would not stand behind them.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:11 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rogers
Until Michelin came out with all seasons in GS sizes in fall 2017, there were no tires for the GS that were not summer only (and therefore subject to cracking at very low temperatures). Thus, GM could not have made summer tires optional on Grand Sports even if they wanted.

I have a '13 GS myself and I put the (just introduced) Michelin all seasons on it last week. They replaced the OEM tires, which, while driveable into the high 20's, were pretty damned slick at those temps. I spun out one time turning into a parking lot at normal speed. Thankfully there wasn't a car sitting there waiting to exit the lot or I would have slid right into it. I remember another forum member saying they spun out on a curved interstate on-ramp.

So if you do choose to drive on the OEM tires when the temps are below freezing, do it very slowly and very carefully.

There is another thread where someone just wrecked their C6 by sliding on a patch of black ice with their summer tires. I just bought my 13 GS and I put on Mich A/S 3 + tires. I do plan on buying some rims probably summer 2019 and put on some summer tires. The A/S 3+ performs great. I pulled .8g without any drama or concern. Didn't even realize it until I checked the tattle tale on the HUD. From pass experience (actually with the same car) .8g would give you white knuckles at the least.

Germany just passed a law that if you are caught with summer tires in the snow it is about an $80 fine. If you block traffic or are involved in an accident then it goes up to about $150. By 2024 M+S tires won't be compliant in the winter. You'll need true winter tires. I know most of you are saying who cares that is in Germany but the Germans do know a thing or two about driving.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Z16_CE
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They give a 6-8 week window to complete the test.
Plenty of good weather in that time frame.
You could get an extension, just go their website for info.
I've driven mine many times over the last 5 years in sub 30 degree temps with no problems.
I stop driving once the cover the roads with salt.....

Quick Reply: C6 GS Tire Situation . . .