C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I finally joined the club in more ways than one!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts
Default I finally joined the club in more ways than one!

I finally picked up my 08 vert yesterday! It started out as a very long day The car was over 3 hours away with Orlando traffic, and had an appointment at a local GM dealer to inspect the car, before I finalized the transaction.

We had to get up 4am, and by the time we were finally on the road early afternoon driving home, my wife and I were exhausted. She had the GPS in our Chevy PU, so I followed her. At some point, she had to stop to get coffee, and hit the rest room.

Florida gas stations and convenience stores are famous for speed bumps, and drainage channels that run across entrance and exit points of their parking lots!

I was well aware of having to go slow, so as to not hit anything underneath. Going in was not a problem. We took a break, had some coffee, and was ready to continue. She goes out a different exit on the to main road with moderate traffic, and I didn't realize how deep the dip from the lot was, and coming back up to the road surface. Even though I exited on a right angle, I had to hit the gas to fall into line behind her.

You guessed it! The car bottomed out and scraped on the pass side radiator support bracket!

This sort of put a damper on enjoying the rest of the 2 hour trip home. This is what you get for driving this car when you're over tired.
I don't think that it damaged anything, and is only cosmetic, scraping off quite a bit of the metal on the bottom.

I feel like an idiot, but felt a little better when I read all the numerous horror stories about broken radiator supports broken.
I still love the car, but it was one hell of a first day to have this happen!

Fortunately, appearance wise, the car looks great!

Last edited by marinablu67; 11-14-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:29 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67
I finally picked up my 08 vert yesterday! It started out as a very long day The car was over 3 hours away with Orlando traffic, and had an appointment at a local GM dealer to inspect the car, before I finalized the transaction.

We had to get up 4am, and by the time we were finally on the road early afternoon driving home, my wife and I were exhausted. She had the GPS in our Chevy PU, so I followed her. At some point, she had to stop to get coffee, and hit the rest room.

Florida gas stations and convenience stores are famous for speed bumps, and drainage channels that run across entrance and exit points of their parking lots!

I was well aware of having to go slow, so as to not hit anything underneath. Going in was not a problem. We took a break, had some coffee, and was ready to continue. She goes out a different exit on the to main road with moderate traffic, and I didn't realize how deep the dip from the lot was, and coming back up to the road surface. Even though I exited on a right angle, I had to hit the gas to fall into line behind her.

You guessed it! The car bottomed out and scraped on the pass side radiator support bracket!

This sort of put a damper on enjoying the rest of the 2 hour trip home. This is what you get for driving this car when you're over tired.
I don't think that it damaged anything, and is only cosmetic, scraping off quite a bit of the metal on the bottom.

I feel like an idiot, but felt a little better when I read all the numerous horror stories about broken radiator supports broken.

Don't worry, when I drove my C6 home from the dealer I beached it on a monster speed bump on a narrow road that has no option but to take it strait on. My headers are the lowest point and that is was what got stuck.
The following users liked this post:
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:38 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
Don't worry, when I drove my C6 home from the dealer I beached it on a monster speed bump on a narrow road that has no option but to take it strait on. My headers are the lowest point and that is was what got stuck.

What did you do to resolve your situation? Was there any damage?

I think I know why these cars have such low mileage, and keep in the garage most of their life! People are afraid to drive them on the street!
Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 AM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

It happens. Don't worry about it. Have fun with the car. Not like it was your 67. Mine is very low and I have to drive across a little grass to get out of my driveway to keep from scraping and it still does a little. I've gotten used to avoiding dips and do it without thinking almost. You will too. Also in FL.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:29 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Congrats.

Don't worry to much about it (we all have done it).
You will learn how to avoid most problems without even thinking about it. Drive it and enjoy it.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:01 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,480 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Congrats. Charlie!

here's too many miles of smiles and enjoyment...............

PS: I will be in FL later this week though next week.............. east coast and then the Kissimmee area just in time for Thanksgiving.............

Last edited by rkj427; 11-14-2017 at 09:22 AM.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Be on your A game driving a C6, never be afraid to back-up & go another way if dips/drops appear too severe.
Trust your instincts on C6's limited clearance, it isn't much & if it looks too st/deep it probably is.
You'll never be sorry.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:52 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Yeah, it happens. I'm surprised you need a GPS to get from Orlando to Tampa.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You do know that pictures are a requirement here?
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Congrats on the new convertible. Also from NE Florida near JAX(approach path to airport is right over my house). Top down season is here, now, in Florida so the convertible was a great choice. Also need to watch out when opening the doors next to a curb. Sorry to hear about your misadventure. So lets see some pictures of your new ride.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:05 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Sorry to hear about dragging the bottom, we've all done it at some point. You will learn how to get through those tough places. But at this point, we are not really sure you bought it as we have not seen any pics.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations on the new C6! I got mine about two months ago and I can't stop grinning long enough to get a picture for my avatar. I tell myself that if I can recognize what is in the road, I need to drive around it. Flattened beer cans and cigarette butts are the maximum height we can drive over. The main thing to remember, "It's just stuff" so take some trips and enjoy. OBD
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:32 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

What did you do to resolve your situation? Was there any damage?

I think I know why these cars have such low mileage, and keep in the garage most of their life! People are afraid to drive them on the street!
No damage other than scratching the shinny finish on the headers. Sounded really bad. Got over by letting the car roll back then giving it more power. I know not the best solution but what else is there.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 02:02 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

I have asked a few of the Florida guys with lowered Vettes how they handle dips and speed bumps, the answer I got was there aren't any in Florida, its all flat
NSF PS Now I am worried about speed bumps after installing the side skirts, only have approx. 4 3/4" clearance

Last edited by Not So Fast; 11-14-2017 at 02:03 PM.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 02:39 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default ground clearance

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I have asked a few of the Florida guys with lowered Vettes how they handle dips and speed bumps, the answer I got was there aren't any in Florida, its all flat
NSF PS Now I am worried about speed bumps after installing the side skirts, only have approx. 4 3/4" clearance

I've been lucky ( so far ), only had to replace the drivers side air dam section. looks like the passenger will be next. at least they are sacrificial. my biggest issue is that, with this being my first two seater, my rear depth perception hasn't been recalibrated yet.
I'm still coming up about 1-1/2' short when backing in.
also with the longer nose, gotta be careful when parking close to a low berm or curb.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 PM
marinablu67
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrose7004
You do know that pictures are a requirement here?

Your wish is my command!
These were taken by my wife at the sellers house.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats on your new car! I bought my 08 in Orlando too. Enjoy!
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To I finally joined the club in more ways than one!

Old 11-14-2017, 03:35 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Your wish is my command!
These were taken by my wife at the sellers house.
Looks great. Again congrats and enjoy driving it. Thanks for the pics.
marinablu67 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 05:06 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Beautiful car. Is that the one that was for sale in Lakeworth? I won't give up any details of the car if it is the one, but would like to know.

Good luck. You got a beautiful color combo.

Jim

PS...your wife is a real trooper to do that for you...

Last edited by buckmeister2; 11-14-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:31 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Be on your A game driving a C6, never be afraid to back-up & go another way if dips/drops appear too severe.
Trust your instincts on C6's limited clearance, it isn't much & if it looks too st/deep it probably is.
You'll never be sorry.
When some of my friends are following me they think I am drunk because I am weaving all over the road to avoid any dips and or potholes. It's like second nature to drive a C6 this way, for me it just happens I know no other way.

Quick Reply: I finally joined the club in more ways than one!