C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading M6 for A6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:33 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,991 Likes on 2,483 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by wayback
My first C6, an 05 was a M6. Enjoyed the drive when out of town but it was a pain in DFW traffic. So both my 06 and current daily driver 07 were A6s. It's a much more enjoyable drive for me with the A6.

Suggest you test drive one to see if it's right for you.

Now cue the "if it ain't m6 it ain't a sports car" post.
not nice to tempt those who will make mountains out of mole hills....................

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I've owned many sports cars over the years, and they have all been MT.
When I was looking to get a C6, I knew it was going to be my retirement gift, and it would be used and driven alot on many road trips. My wife and I are avid golf fans, and take in PGA tour events from the Spring to the Fall. With that much driving, I knew that owning a MT may be a real PIA, especially in big cities that I was not familiar with. That, plus possibly my wife may like to drive the C6 occasionally. So, I went with the A6, thinking that the paddle shifters would at least wet the appetite now and then by shifting myself.
I've put 80K miles on the A6 during all those road trips, and I'm very satisfied by my decision to buy an A6. It is so much more enjoyable in stop and go traffic.
Do I miss having a MT? You bet I do. The A6 paddles in no way even comes close to replicating the experience of owning a MT.

The decision comes down to what kind of driving that you will be doing.

Good Luck in whatever decision you make.

Even an A6 is a real Corvette!

YOUR car, YOUR money spent, should be YOUR choice without any worries about the opinions of other's
Old 10-30-2017, 06:35 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

After 6 years of great M6 fun - this past Spring I sold the 2011 seen as my avatar - for one with an automatic.
I'm enjoying the more relaxing drive - but maybe the next will again be a M car!
Old 10-30-2017, 08:48 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

My first C6, an 05 was a M6. Enjoyed the drive when out of town but it was a pain in DFW traffic. So both my 06 and current daily driver 07 were A6s. It's a much more enjoyable drive for me with the A6.

Suggest you test drive one to see if it's right for you.

Now cue the "if it ain't m6 it ain't a sports car" post.
If you are going to drive an auto, just buy the Mini Van and get it over with.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:55 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Get that smirk off your face, bubba.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:04 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jimy
...But I've had my fun and may want the A6. Is there and traders remorse? Anybody think they should have kept the M6?
I think I'd get very bored with an automatic trans. I plan on buying "three pedal" cars until they don't exist anymore.
The idea of paddle shifting an otherwise conventional automatic seems dumb to me.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:37 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Ouch. I like my Mini Van.

Little over 193,000 miles of smiles.

To be honest, the 6 speed M in my son's Focus ST was MUCH better than the one in my 05 or in my 85. No comparison, Focus ST was better all around.

Last edited by wayback; 10-31-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:01 AM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

In traffic I have to admit it is a pain. My first 2 corvettes were Auto"s.
My 07 is M6 and I love it! Just in traffic not as much. I'll never go back!
Test drive one and see if you like like it. There is no wrong when you own a Corvette.
The only wrong is when you see one all pimped out!

Last edited by PAULEB07; 10-31-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:49 AM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

When I started shopping for my first Vette I was convinced in my mind it had to be a manual. I've driven many cars over the years and I'd say probably split between A's and M's but the Vette had to be manual. Then I test drove my first one with a manual, in a bit of moderate traffic and I couldn't wait for that test drive to be over.

If I ever get this left knee replaced my next Vette will be a Z06! In the meantime, it's A-6 for me.

Last edited by danzio56; 10-31-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:12 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,696 Likes on 1,710 Posts

My work commute was 27 miles one way in stop and go I-70 traffic. No way was I buying a stick. No regrets with the A6, even though I have retired and moved to an area without so much traffic. For the record, I tuned the A6 to my preferences.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:47 AM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought my 07 in 2013. It took a year and a half to get exactly what I wanted. White, Red int, M6 F55, one owner, everything. I've had it for over four years and loved every minute. But, I'm starting to have thoughts of an automatic. There was no way I'd ever buy an automatic for my first Corvette. But I've had my fun and may want the A6. Is there and traders remorse? Anybody think they should have kept the M6?
The first question is what is motivating you to buy an automatic?

The only reason to buy an automatic is if you are physically unable to operate the clutch pedal. Stop and go traffic - deal with it. The reward on the open road more than makes up for that.

There's nothing worse than pointing a car somewhere and then just stepping on the gas pedal...and...that's it. I cringe when I hear a wonderful sounding car going down the road only to hear an automatic transmission shifting gears.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 AM
74plb
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I just bought a 2007 Auto last week. I've got a bad ankle and the auto is the way to go for me. The paddleshifters while a fun novelty, arent going to get alot of use.
My wife drove the car for the first time last Saturday and it had her laughing like a school girl. Couldn't wipe the smile off her face all day
I've owned alot of sticks in the past, with my ankle I don't feel the need so much anymore.
Drive both and see what you like better.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 AM
jkirk1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
I'll take the open road but with all the travel I put in, I can do without the traffic jams.

I already sold one bike this year. I might just sell off the touring bike in the spring. I prefer driving the Vette anyway.

I hear you on that traffic. I just sold my last one...FJR1300.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:31 AM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought my 07 in 2013. It took a year and a half to get exactly what I wanted. White, Red int, M6 F55, one owner, everything. I've had it for over four years and loved every minute. But, I'm starting to have thoughts of an automatic. There was no way I'd ever buy an automatic for my first Corvette. But I've had my fun and may want the A6. Is there and traders remorse? Anybody think they should have kept the M6?
A6 is faster
Old 10-31-2017, 10:36 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
I think I'd get very bored with an automatic trans. I plan on buying "three pedal" cars until they don't exist anymore.
The idea of paddle shifting an otherwise conventional automatic seems dumb to me.
Feel the exact same way. I personally wouldn't be happy with an automatic performance car, but that's just me.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:54 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
The first question is what is motivating you to buy an automatic?

The only reason to buy an automatic is if you are physically unable to operate the clutch pedal. Stop and go traffic - deal with it. The reward on the open road more than makes up for that.

There's nothing worse than pointing a car somewhere and then just stepping on the gas pedal...and...that's it. I cringe when I hear a wonderful sounding car going down the road only to hear an automatic transmission shifting gears.
This may be true for you. But you sound foolish applying your criteria to all.
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (11-04-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

This may be true for you. But you sound foolish applying your criteria to all.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:08 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default auto vs. trans

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Feel the exact same way. I personally wouldn't be happy with an automatic performance car, but that's just me.

I agree with the reasoning that everyone mentions for driving a manual and, I also planning on driving a manual for as long as I can.
but those reasons don't diminish the reasons for, someone wanting to drive an auto. as I noted previously, my dad would have loved to been able to drive a manual, but a childhood illness prevented him from using his left leg. still could drive a stick, but not easily.
anyways, the reasoning is subjective. will we next be questioning the color choices? generation preferences? trim level?
in the end, aren't they all good choices?
if you really want discussion, then talk about ford/mopar vs chevy.

get out & drive and enjoy what you've got!
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (11-04-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Trading M6 for A6?

Old 10-31-2017, 12:33 PM
jimy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. Thanks for all the input guys. I test drove a 2010 A6 non Z51 last night. It had 41K miles on it. It was tight but a little pimped out. Some aftermarket stripes on the side and top, badges out of place and goofy running lights in the front. Not that I'd buy this car but I was able to get a good test drive. I was not all that impressed with the paddle shift. I'm sure it needs a tune to get some more enjoyment out of it. I think I like my tuned LS2 with headers more than this stock LS3 A6. There was nothing that I hated about it, it just didn't give me the " I got to get me one of these" feeling. At this point, I don't want to force a switch just to get out of changing gears and spend money doing it. As I get older, that may change. I'll always keep my eye open on a good deal. I have a great 07 and I'll keep it for now.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

It is in what you like to drive! Auto w/paddles is fun but not as total engagement of always shifting. Enjoy whatever you choose!
Old 10-31-2017, 12:55 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by cgladish
I agree with the reasoning that everyone mentions for driving a manual and, I also planning on driving a manual for as long as I can.
but those reasons don't diminish the reasons for, someone wanting to drive an auto. as I noted previously, my dad would have loved to been able to drive a manual, but a childhood illness prevented him from using his left leg. still could drive a stick, but not easily.
anyways, the reasoning is subjective. will we next be questioning the color choices? generation preferences? trim level?
in the end, aren't they all good choices?
if you really want discussion, then talk about ford/mopar vs chevy.

get out & drive and enjoy what you've got!
I agree with you 100%. I would always prefer a manual as long as I am physically capable of it. I should have mentioned that. I totally understand certain owners going with automatic due to any physical ailments preventing (or impacting) them from driving a manual. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. The OP never mentioned exactly why he wanted to go automatic so I was assuming he wanted a change of pace.

Last edited by Frankie15; 10-31-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Trading M6 for A6?