C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange squealing sound when engine is cold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Dimewise
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Strange squealing sound when engine is cold...

So a couple days ago I noticed a squeaking/squealing sound when the car is idling or in gear when cold. Sounds like the front of the engine area, possibly a pulley?

But, when the engine is warm ( oil 180+) the sounds just go away completely. Idle, low rpm or high rpm.

Any thought?

Here's a vid.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:37 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Remove the belt and start turning pulleys by hand you have a bearing starting to go bad.
The following users liked this post:
Dimewise (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

On a centrifugal boosted application the belt has to be super tight and the belts stretch super fast and wear much more quickly than the stock factory NA serpentine belt. My experience is more with A&A than ECS, but will be the same. Try that first. If you're at the belt tensioning limit, replace the belt. If there is significant age (mileage) to the FI install, then, agree, you might have a pulley bearing going out.

My first inclination is to try more belt tension.
Dimewise (10-29-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 07:36 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Try a length of hose & use it as a stethoscope. Hold it to each pulley & your ear. listen to isolate which one it’s coming from.
Dimewise (10-29-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 08:14 PM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

Sounds like a pulley.
Dimewise (10-29-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 08:49 PM
Dimewise
Pro

Thanks yall that's what I think too.

Next question, is it worth it to go ahead and upgrade to an 8 rib setup?

Or is that not practical?
Old 10-28-2017, 09:39 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Only if you’re having belt slip. It won’t solve your current issue unless the belt is too tight and damaging your accessory pullies. I was having belt slip so I went 8 rib and new A&A secondary drive. Picked up some boost and decreased the side load on the accessories.
Dimewise (10-29-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 10:23 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Figure out exactly where the noise is coming from first. I recently had a bearing go out and spin in the manual tensioner pulley on the supercharger bracket. They are standard bearings and easy to replace but unfortunately in my case the pulley is no longer a tight fit for the new bearings so I have to replace it as well.
Dimewise (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Dimewise
Pro

I am considering upgrading everything to 8 rib while its apart since I am over 700whp and recently have been dealing with belts getting eaten.

Earlier I let the car idle till warm while I wiped it down and the squeaking went away for now. Is it dangerous to drive the car at all like this?

I intend to start addressing the issue tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

You could have a pulley fail. Or in my case, after installing the secondary drive, the belt for the alternator/power steering was too long, which was causing squealing. The squealing would go away after a few minutes, but I was concerned that the belt would slip on the alternator at high rpm leading to a drop in voltage to the fuel pump.

If you’re looking to max out the blower, I would look into the secondary drive with 8 rib (only needed for crank and blower).
Old 10-29-2017, 12:42 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patriot Six
You could have a pulley fail. Or in my case, after installing the secondary drive, the belt for the alternator/power steering was too long, which was causing squealing. The squealing would go away after a few minutes, but I was concerned that the belt would slip on the alternator at high rpm leading to a drop in voltage to the fuel pump.

If you’re looking to max out the blower, I would look into the secondary drive with 8 rib (only needed for crank and blower).
AAs new drive is superior but I had belt squeak until I got the belt tight enough. Only second hand knowledge on ECS drive but some have had problems like belt noise and belts getting eaten. At least one guy I know of switched to the AA new drive on his ECS setup.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Yes, once I put the smaller alternator/power steering belt on, the squealing stopped. In the OPs case, I would be concerned that if he is putting too much tension on the serpentine belt to avoid belt slip, he could be damaging his accessory pullies, which can be avoided with a secondary/direct drive.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:23 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dimewise
I am considering upgrading everything to 8 rib while its apart since I am over 700whp and recently have been dealing with belts getting eaten.

Earlier I let the car idle till warm while I wiped it down and the squeaking went away for now. Is it dangerous to drive the car at all like this?

I intend to start addressing the issue tomorrow.
Something isn't right if belts are getting eaten. A failing bearing could easily be the cause of it. Driving on it could cause damage like I experienced with a roller being damaged. A roller that wouldn't be replaced with the 8 rib upgrade since they are wide enough already.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:37 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Definitely a pulley
Old 11-06-2017, 10:47 PM
Dimewise
Pro

UPDATE:

Blower needs a rebuild...
Old 11-06-2017, 11:00 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,768 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Just sounds like a squeaky belt to me, take an old wax candle and with the engine running rub the candle on the inside edge of both belts and your squeak will go away. Be careful when doing this so as to not get your fingers/clothing caught in the belts and/or fan.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:33 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

UPDATE:

Not a complete surprise. I've heard of a few needing rebuilds. They're pretty reliable if the oil changes are kept up and oil level correct.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange squealing sound when engine is cold...

Old 11-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Dimewise
Pro

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Not a complete surprise. I've heard of a few needing rebuilds. They're pretty reliable if the oil changes are kept up and oil level correct.
Yeah it sucks... I'm either gonna be out $600 or $1300.

I'm trying to decide if there is anything else doing while the car is sitting.

Maybe get some parts powder coated? lol
Old 11-07-2017, 04:52 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
AAs new drive is superior but I had belt squeak until I got the belt tight enough. Only second hand knowledge on ECS drive but some have had problems like belt noise and belts getting eaten. At least one guy I know of switched to the AA new drive on his ECS setup.
The secondary drive is completely separate from the supercharger kit, regardless of who manufactured it, so they can be used in conjunction with A&A,ECS or ATI.

UPDATE:

Not doubting you and you probably tried changing the belt so the rest is moot but that really sounded like a belt issue to me. Often when it squeaks only when cold the belt has worn a rib down to the cords inside. When the cords hit the metal pulley it squeaks, hence why it comes and goes on rhythm.

If changing the belt temporarily fixes it, then that is most likely the issue. At that point it is either from a belt that may have slipped, or it's simply worn out. Or one of the pulleys is off from the others, wearing the belt out quicker.

Just a suggestion, I hope it works out well for you. Let me know if we can help.
Dimewise (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 04:56 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Yeah it sucks... I'm either gonna be out $600 or $1300.

I'm trying to decide if there is anything else doing while the car is sitting.

Maybe get some parts powder coated? lol
While you have the head unit out, spin all the other pulleys by hand. You'll be able to tell if there is any drag or rough spots. If so, better to get to those units now. Do all the pulleys in the ECS setup, the alternator (although it looks like you have a Mechman {GOOD Choice if you do}), water pump, PS, etc.

If you are all black, consider powder coating the alt bracket. It is a PIA to get out, but you'll never be closer than you are now.
Dimewise (11-07-2017)

Quick Reply: Strange squealing sound when engine is cold...