C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mag Ride...Nice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Mag Ride...Nice

I have a 13 GS M6 I purchased new and it has the Mag Ride option. I never used it much because I could tell little difference in the Tour and Sport settings. After reading here in the Forum about other drivers experiences with the Mag Ride, I decided to start using mine. I found there is a BIG difference in the Sport and Tour settings going around corners, not so much traveling on straight smooth road. I live close to a lightly used rural interstate. The interstate has a wide sweeping banked 270 degree turn off the exit ramp. I practice there using my Mag Ride Sport Mode. The Sport mode dramatically improves handling over the Tour mode. You should see the people try to stay with me in the curve I have practiced over a hundred times. I am kinda limited now because I start getting vertigo around .80 on the Skid Pad reading. OEM Goodyear’s hold their own on a hot summer day. Next Spring the Interstate is getting a fresh new layer of smooth blacktop, I can’t wait.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Where do most people keep the setting by default?

I was thinking I would keep it on Tour most of the time, but I don't like body roll in the corners. I will just have to try it out.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:09 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,121 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Where do most people keep the setting by default?

I was thinking I would keep it on Tour most of the time, but I don't like body roll in the corners. I will just have to try it out.
Sport mostly. Tour gets a little Cadillac-floaty at times.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:01 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Sport mode.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:15 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

TBH, I've cranked around a lot of curves (smooth roads, no bumps or holes) but have never been able to tell the difference in the settings.

From what I've read about it, it's more useful on bumpy, irregular surfaces to help keep the tires planted on the road, and, supposedly, it does work well for that.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 PM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've said it many times; if you can't feel the difference between tour and sport, you are probably running run flat tires. When you get rid of them, then you will feel the difference.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:41 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bruze
TBH, I've cranked around a lot of curves (smooth roads, no bumps or holes) but have never been able to tell the difference in the settings.

From what I've read about it, it's more useful on bumpy, irregular surfaces to help keep the tires planted on the road, and, supposedly, it does work well for that.
I agree with Judgebull. If you go around a curve at speed, there is definitely a difference in the body roll between sport and touring modes.

A lot less body roll in sport mode. I know I can tell the difference in mine.

I agree that on a fairly flat, nice road, you cannot tell the difference though.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:49 AM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Great technology. Replacement costs are crazy for new shocks though. A lot of people just put regular shocks on after they find out what replacement costs are.
The following users liked this post:
C3w4sp (12-01-2021)
Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Judgebull
I have a 13 GS M6 I purchased new and it has the Mag Ride option. I never used it much because I could tell little difference in the Tour and Sport settings. After reading here in the Forum about other drivers experiences with the Mag Ride, I decided to start using mine. I found there is a BIG difference in the Sport and Tour settings going around corners, not so much traveling on straight smooth road. I live close to a lightly used rural interstate. The interstate has a wide sweeping banked 270 degree turn off the exit ramp. I practice there using my Mag Ride Sport Mode. The Sport mode dramatically improves handling over the Tour mode. You should see the people try to stay with me in the curve I have practiced over a hundred times. I am kinda limited now because I start getting vertigo around .80 on the Skid Pad reading. OEM Goodyear’s hold their own on a hot summer day. Next Spring the Interstate is getting a fresh new layer of smooth blacktop, I can’t wait.
I've also got a 13 GS M6 with mag ride ( a relatively rare C6 I think ) that I also purchased new. I have always been able to tell the difference between tour and sport and am very glad I've got the F55 suspension. I use both settings often.

I wanted the M6 GS with the mag ride option because that's how those awesome Z06s and ZR1s were equipped . . . no regrets yet.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:55 AM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

Love the mag shocks on my 06 so much so that I like the way my car rides better than my boyfriends 16 Stingray without the mag ride shocks.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:51 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,204 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by csf
I've also got a 13 GS M6 with mag ride ( a relatively rare C6 I think ) that I also purchased new. I have always been able to tell the difference between tour and sport and am very glad I've got the F55 suspension. I use both settings often.

I wanted the M6 GS with the mag ride option because that's how those awesome Z06s and ZR1s were equipped . . . no regrets yet.

I use both modes even in regular driving. I tend more to the sport mode, but will flip to tour for rough sections of road. Also, a little something I've found is that sport mode actually deals a lot better with sudden harsh impacts than tour mode (like going over railroad tracks).
Old 10-18-2017, 02:25 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Like night and day taking curves in sport mode.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:26 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

And another thing guys...the mag shocks work in conjunction with their respective body roll sensors. Each shock has it's own sensor. I had a broken driver's side sensor linkage found during an alignment. Replacing that sensor was pretty easy, and improved my handling dramatically. Before the sensor change, I thought my shocks were finally worn out. I was so happy when the system improved back to new car performance.

BTW...140,000 miles...I LOVE THE MAG SHOCK SYSTEM.

The sensors can all be tested with the Tech II...Or by at least a visual inspection when under the car.

Last edited by joliett; 10-21-2017 at 01:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (10-24-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
Like night and day taking curves in sport mode.
Poor Old Billy.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:53 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Same here, I can't tell a difference between the tour and sport.
I just leave it in sport mode...
Old 11-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Hebebad
I've said it many times; if you can't feel the difference between tour and sport, you are probably running run flat tires. When you get rid of them, then you will feel the difference.
Not true, I just had Cooper Zeon RS3's (non-runflat) on my 2011 GS (with mag ride), and they were noisier and rode almost exactly the same as my Goodyear GEN2 runflats and 2 sets of Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position runflats.

The Bridgestone Pole Positions gave the best traction of all tires, including Nitto Invo non-runflats, and over all temp ranges.

But enough about tires. Yes, I notice a difference between sport and tour, and mostly run in sport mode, unless on a long trip.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:42 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,071 Likes on 2,043 Posts

I prefer Sport mode so that's where it stays.

Get notified of new replies

To Mag Ride...Nice

Old 11-30-2021, 09:55 AM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I keep mine in tour mode, and switch to sport mode when going through twisties!
Old 11-30-2021, 10:06 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Like Tail of the Dragon twisty !
Old 11-30-2021, 10:54 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 591 Posts

Get one of the Jim Mero software upgrade if you really want the mag shocks to work to their full potential.

Quick Reply: Mag Ride...Nice