C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BB Bullets

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:51 PM
Eth
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BB Bullets

I recently installed Billy Boat Bullets on my C6 A6 coupe. I would like to share my thoughts while realizing other opinions differ.
After driving the car for just a few days, I have concluded that the drone is both too loud and for me resulted in ear ringing and headaches.
I tried a few fixes including soundproofing under the rear mat, a partition, and even carrying my spare top in the rear with heavy comforters between the floor and the top. Not much difference.
Again, others have said the drone does not bother them so obviously tolerance differs. Also, the convertible with a standard appears to be less effected.
There are also differing opinions as to the PRT's drone. I have not heard them but will look at the local Corvette club for someone who had them installed. Learn from my experience. Find someone to take you for a ride, then decide.

Last edited by Eth; 10-15-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:18 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

They sound great for in town just cruising around but it didn't take me long to get rid of them due to the drone also. I went back to the NPP that came on my '08
Old 10-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

i have BB Fusion and love it. Little drone and killer deep sound. Nothing like it.
The following users liked this post:
BBExhaust (10-16-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 05:52 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Had them on my ZR1. It was so bad that not only did I take them off, I ended up sound proofing the entire car when I went back to stock exhaust.

Now it is pretty quiet. I know some like it loud, but my hearing is not what it used to be and I wanted to prevent any further loss.

Scott
Old 10-15-2017, 05:58 PM
geno01
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
i have BB Fusion and love it. Little drone and killer deep sound. Nothing like it.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:16 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Can anyone say how they compare to a corsa? I currently have a corsa (not sure what model) on my base A6 and in my opinion they aren't loud enough.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt
Had them on my ZR1. It was so bad that not only did I take them off, I ended up sound proofing the entire car when I went back to stock exhaust.

Now it is pretty quiet. I know some like it loud, but my hearing is not what it used to be and I wanted to prevent any further loss.

Scott
What did you do for sound proofing?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:29 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Yarbie
BB Fusion is what I'll be getting too

I had bullets, removed them due to drone when i was commuting for work.

Bullet sound without drone, looking forward to that!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Banana Republic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Can anyone say how they compare to a corsa? I currently have a corsa (not sure what model) on my base A6 and in my opinion they aren't loud enough.
I have the Corsas in my M6, and I think the sound perfectly matches the car.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 PM
geno01
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
I had Corsa, think they were sports with long tubes and cats on my c5 with standard trans. and they sounded great with no drone, The ZO6 I have now has BB fusion. I like the sound but I don't think I would like them without the mild to wild switch for long trips.
BBExhaust (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Ronald Koch Jr.
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Bullets on my GS. They were loud with the stock exhaust when I had the axle back. Since installing headers and hi flow cats the car roars. I get tons of compliments on the sound. It does drone but I love the sound too much to change it.
BBExhaust (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 01:55 PM
Eth
Intermediate

I understand. I like the sound as well but my old ears are telling me to move back to stock or at least the fusions. I did order ear plugs but that seems to be a waste of the 2k I put into the stereo.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I have old school Flowmasters, also known for drone… I used to use the paddle shifters to change the gear to reduce the drone(vibrating) while driving… I recently had to change the harmonic balancer and I swear it runs much better now and almost no drone…? The harmonic balancer "wobble" is a common issue with these cars. Could be the the cause behind the rough idle/ shuddering motor? I don't think I'll bother changing the cutbacks now.

What does the harmonic balancer do…? "This is where the harmonic balancer comes in. The circular device, made of rubber and metal, is bolted at the front end of the crankshaft to help absorb vibrations. It's usually connected to the crank pulley, which drives accessories like the air conditioner. The rubber inside the pulley is what actually absorbs the vibrations and keeps them at a safe level. In essence, the device is designed to help prevent crankshaft failure. It's also sometimes called a "dampener."
Old 10-17-2017, 01:02 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by geno01
I had Corsa, think they were sports with long tubes and cats on my c5 with standard trans. and they sounded great with no drone, The ZO6 I have now has BB fusion. I like the sound but I don't think I would like them without the mild to wild switch for long trips.
I plan on going LT headers in the spring so hopefully that will wake them up a little or a lot.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:11 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I also run BB Fusion. I would never own another exhuast. Those bullets are definitely for extreme setups.
BBExhaust (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:06 AM
cstapp99
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Eth
I recently installed Billy Boat Bullets on my C6 A6 coupe. I would like to share my thoughts while realizing other opinions differ.
After driving the car for just a few days, I have concluded that the drone is both too loud and for me resulted in ear ringing and headaches.
I tried a few fixes including soundproofing under the rear mat, a partition, and even carrying my spare top in the rear with heavy comforters between the floor and the top. Not much difference.
Again, others have said the drone does not bother them so obviously tolerance differs. Also, the convertible with a standard appears to be less effected.
There are also differing opinions as to the PRT's drone. I have not heard them but will look at the local Corvette club for someone who had them installed. Learn from my experience. Find someone to take you for a ride, then decide.
I added PRTs to my system with long tube headers and off-road X pipe. They drone. No doubt about it. It's controllable by using the paddle shifters, and they sound very good, but yes drone with a long tube header system. With the stock manifolds and cats they would probably be about perfect.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Eth
Intermediate

Just bought Fusions. Think I got a good deal so the loss on the bullets hurts less.

Get notified of new replies

To BB Bullets

Old 10-18-2017, 12:05 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Eth
Just bought Fusions. Think I got a good deal so the loss on the bullets hurts less.
Did you buy used?

If new, what vendor?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Ryan427
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
I've driven both and listened as a bystander. The Corsa Sport is a nice system in the middle of the quite-loud spectrum. The tone has more mids in it compared to the BB Bullets. The Bullets are are fortissimo, have a very deep / low tone, and turn heads like no other.

The owner of the car in these two vids changed from Corsa to BB because Corsa wasn't loud enough for him -- BUT it wasn't his daily driver / commuter. I love the Bullets.

Last edited by Ryan427; 10-18-2017 at 12:24 PM.
BBExhaust (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Ryan427
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

And in this video of a C6 on the freeway with BB Bullets the description says:

People asked about the noise / drone on the freeway. Here it is, going between 4th 5th & 6th gears. There's a drone at about 2300-2500 rpm, but it's not that bad, and you can shift out of it.

2007 Corvette with axle back Billy Boat Bullet exhaust

Quick Reply: BB Bullets