C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Viper features "heritage" styling!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 09:58 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default New Viper features "heritage" styling!!!

...so I'm looking at the detailed design features of the new Viper in the November Car and Driver photos and all of a sudden I think...WHAT???

I believe most of us expect to see some C2/3 "heritage" cues in the C6, but what's the deal with Daimler-Chrysler ripping off vintage Corvette design cues for the Viper.

Check out the vertical bulge and peak line in the front fenders, and the higher bulge and peak line in the rear fenders. Now does that say Sting Ray and Shark/Stingray or what?

BTW, I think the new Viper looks pretty good - probably because it has "Corvette heritage" styling cues. Maybe it's a subliminal attempt to convert us aging early vintage baby boomer/empty nester traditional Corvette fanatics to spend some disposable income on a new Viper instead of a new Corvette. I recognize this ploy for what it is, and I don't buy it! ;)

I just hope the C6 designers did as good a job of integrating vintage Corvette styling cues into the C6 as the Viper designers did with their new design!

Duke

[Modified by SWCDuke, 6:06 PM 10/6/2002]
Old 10-06-2002, 10:26 PM
Red99Hardtop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!! (SWCDuke)

Just got my new Moter Trend in the mail where they do a 'Vette vrs Viper shootout. I was also struck by the styling similiarities. If you have not seen this comparo, the Viper beats the Z-06 only slightly,though in a quarter mile slightly is all you need.However, at 95 extra horses and $30,000 more dollars these numbers are pretty dismal.The Dodge Boys gotta do a lot better than this sorry exercise. :chevy
Old 10-07-2002, 12:03 AM
ZR1991
Drifting

Default Re: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!! (Red99Hardtop)

Actually, the ZO6 was preferred in most other categories, other than brakes.

The comments about the car being civilized to the point that it has lost some of the "outrageous appeal", but still very crude compared to the ZO6, were especially interesting.

I think that the new Viper is a very awkward step for Viper.

Lost a lot of its soul which justified its crudeness, but still not refined enough or comfortable enough to be competitive against other, better finished cars. It will be interesting to see if "500HP" is enough to carry the car all by itself. The original was such an "in your face" car that the HP was just one part of its appeal.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:22 AM
edv2122
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!! (ZR1991)

Old 10-07-2002, 03:00 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Odd. While I will admit to making the comparison primarily with the C5, stylistically I see far more things which are different between the two cars. To wit:

1. The foglight placement is nothing like a Corvette. More like an Aston Martin Vantage/Vanquish.
2. Grille? Vettes don't have grilles.
3. Exposed headlights? Have not been on a Vette for decades.
4. Hood scoop? No.
5. Hood louvers? Not.
6. Side pipes? Don't we wish.
7. Horizontal taillights? Not ever.
8. Roll hoops? Not on any factory Vette convertible I've ever seen.
9. Rear diffuser? Man don't we wish!!
10. (Minor notes) Trunk keyhole? Gas tank opening on the wrong side.

Don't even get me started on the interior.

The area where I do see the Viper moving closer to the Vette is in its engineering. Some examples are the use of staggered run flat tires and the adoption of a partial aerodynamic undertray. Its weight balance has also changed in a manner that puts it closer to the C5.

Civility? Car & Driver's Editor-In-Chief commented in his review "Don't worry that they made the 2003 Viper too civilized."

Straightline performance is well beyond a Z06. Back in its September issue Car & Driver noted that a Viper GTS, short 50hp to the 2003 SRT/10, put a 3 second lead on a Z06 from 100-150mph. The Z06 was driven by none other than John Heinricy. The quick math indicates that at that sustained speed the lead generated by the GTS would be staggering (think +40 car lengths :(). Automobile Magazine noted that the SRT/10 was a full second (about 10 car lengths) away from a Z06 by 100mph. Viper's are only starting to hook up at that speed.

Love my C5 and there will always be a special place in my heart for all Corvettes :chevy, but by this time next year I hope to have an SRT/10 in my garage.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:14 AM
Senna1994
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!! (Bwright)

Bwright, I agree about that test with the prior GTS, however, the 03 Viper does not seem to be substantially quicker than the car it replaces. Even with the extra horsepower and weight reductiion, the times in C&D and MT are not exceptional. Also the New Viper seems to be an excellent car to cook Popcorn on the hood and Bacon and Eggs on the door sills above the the side exhaust.... :p:
Old 10-07-2002, 09:52 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!! (Senna1994)

Senna1994, I thought that those pictures with the popcorn, bacon and eggs were hilarious. Though if I were a DC rep I would be livid.

The general consensus does indeed indicate that the SRT/10 does not seem to be substantially quicker than the previous car. Will wait for instrumented testing of actual production cars to be certain. You may be right though. We'll see soon enough.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Senna1994
Racer

Default Re: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!! (Bwright)

Yeah and what is funny is that Automobile magazine complained about the excess heat as well, I think they have goofed somewhere on this car. It is definately not the car "so far" that everyone was expecting.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:31 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If you can't beat em... join em? I think the General can build a better car and already has. The new Viper doesn't do any more for me than the old one, and that one didn't do a thing. :nonod:
Old 10-07-2002, 02:31 PM
Zee Freak
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06

I dont think we can use these tests by the rags as a accurate guage for the new viper. Remember when the 01 ZO6 was first tested. It didnt do that well cuz of a slipping clutch, that and it was used very hard by the rags. The same may be said about the new viper.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:48 AM
Senna1994
Racer

Default Re: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!! (Zee Freak)

Yes but that was one car that fried its clutch, the heating problem that seems to be occuring seems to be a fundamental design flaw rather than a part that was abused. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:52 AM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!! (Senna1994)

Lets face it gang, the new and old Viper has the looks I wish the Corvette had. The 2002 Viper GTS is sweet... :cool:
Old 10-08-2002, 03:34 AM
1sickkkC5
Racer

Default Re: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!! (jcredvette)

EXACTLY

People please stop ragging the Viper. It is a gorgeous car with real american attitude. It may be a hot ride, but lets not forget about C5 problems. The center spine burns my leg in the summer...not fun eigther. The Viper would be in most of our drive ways if we all had the extra cash i'm sure. The Corvette will never have its bold looks and attitude of the "old" viper.... which to me is unfortunate. :rolleyes:
Old 10-08-2002, 10:38 AM
Fahtrim
Team Owner

Default Re: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!! (jcredvette)

I do think the new Viper is the cat's meow. That being said I disagree with those of you who say that the Viper is ripping off old Vette lines. Sure there a similarites, 4 wheels and an engine -- 2 doors -- 2 seats etc. Cars can be easily confused as aerodynamics do slightly limit the radicalness taken in the curves...........

My .02

Get notified of new replies

To New Viper features "heritage" styling!!!

Quick Reply: New Viper features "heritage" styling!!!