C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:11 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Convertible Top Malfunction

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but I've searched for a solution and all the remedies don't seem to work. I drove my 2007 to work this morning and when I put the top up it stopped midway. When I turned around I discovered that the point of the tonneau had hit the back edge of the top. I released that and managed to get the top up and secured. Now the top won't do anything. I reindexed the windows, disconnected the battery for an hour, did the windows again, checked every fuse, tried pushing the top. Nothing. No motor sounds, no clicking, nothing.

I am getting frustrated as I believe it's something minor and electrical which usually means time-consuming and expensive. I have seen an excellent post on how to fix the tonneau/top interference issue. But that's not helping the current dilemma.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Except holding CTRL-ALT-DELETE. That didn't work either.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm sorry that I can't help.

On the other hand you have helped me decide against a power top for a C6 convertible.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Tony 327
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you check to see if the trunk divider may have somehow dislodged? I have never removed the divider so I do not know if you get a DIC warning message.

Also, how did the tonneau hit the top? Did the tonneau not open completely? Mine will hit the window if I do not hold the window inward as it passes the tonneau going up or down, but the tonneau opens completely.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:22 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Randy_in_MD
I'm sorry that I can't help.

On the other hand you have helped me decide against a power top for a C6 convertible.
So happy to be of service...
Old 09-04-2017, 08:25 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tony 327
Did you check to see if the trunk divider may have somehow dislodged?...
Old 09-04-2017, 08:25 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tony 327
Did you check to see if the trunk divider may have somehow dislodged? I have never removed the divider so I do not know if you get a DIC warning message.

Also, how did the tonneau hit the top? Did the tonneau not open completely? Mine will hit the window if I do not hold the window inward as it passes the tonneau going up or down, but the tonneau opens completely.
The tonneau hit the top just below the window. It's never done that before. But I read that if you shorten the straps by 1/2-3/4" that the tonneau will clear the top.

I tried the trunk divider as well. The right side switch seems to be functioning as intended.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:56 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,480 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by ccrvtt
The tonneau hit the top just below the window. It's never done that before. But I read that if you shorten the straps by 1/2-3/4" that the tonneau will clear the top.

I tried the trunk divider as well. The right side switch seems to be functioning as intended.
you didn't say if it was operating again or not?

you have your owners manual? page 144 and on discusses power top operation and possible causes of malfunctioning.............

pdf of '07 owners manual here.............................

videos on YouTube for strap adjustment, and numerous old posts here.............. use Search function for glass hitting tonneau to find them..........

Last edited by rkj427; 12-01-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:39 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkj427
you didn't say if it was operating again or not?

you have your owners manual? page 144 and on discusses power top operation and possible causes of malfunctioning.............

pdf of '07 owners manual here.............................

videos on YouTube for strap adjustment, and numerous old posts here.............. use Search function for glass hitting tonneau to find them..........
The top is still inoperable. Pressing the switch does NOTHING, no noises, no clicks, etc. The tonneau hitting the top is not the issue here, the fact that the top switch does nothing seems to be the immediate problem. But thank you for the pdf. I left my manual at work tonight.

I find it strange that there is NO fuse or relay dedicated to the top function. Am I missing something?

Last edited by ccrvtt; 09-04-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:10 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,480 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

this fuse box is located under the carpet in the passenger footwell
Old 09-04-2017, 10:39 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Did you manually close your top?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:48 AM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkj427

this fuse box is located under the carpet in the passenger footwell
Which one is labeled Convertible Top? There are 2 labeled with Tonneau. I read that if the tonneau doesn't release the top switch won't work. Tonneau is not releasing. I pulled and inspected ALL of these fuses. No luck.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:51 AM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Originally Posted by enventr
Did you manually close your top?
Yes, following the hang up with the tonneau/top when everything stopped. This led me to believe that a fuse had blown or the BCM needed to be "reset" by disconnecting the battery.

Disconnecting the battery fixed my cruise control malfunction.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Tony 327
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Please post when you find the cause of the problem.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:39 PM
keithbennett
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Since it is a hydraulic system, I would insure that the release screw is tightened down so that it will hold pressure. Without pressure I do not believe the up/down button will do anything. Can you lift the tonneau manually?
Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Originally Posted by keithbennett
Since it is a hydraulic system, I would insure that the release screw is tightened down so that it will hold pressure. Without pressure I do not believe the up/down button will do anything. Can you lift the tonneau manually?
The top stopped when being raised because the tonneau contacted the back edge of the top. After I separated the two I manually closed the top and tonneau because the power switch did nothing. I tried disconnecting the battery, re-indexing the windows, the trunk switch, checked every fuse I could find, rotated several relays, made sure the deck lid was locked, tried releasing the hydraulic screw, etc. I have not found a fuse directly related to the top motor. I tried manually releasing the tonneau with the pull located behind the passenger seat.

I think I may be out of sequence in some of the stuff I'm trying because it makes no sense that the top motor, which I assume powers the hydraulic unit, would not be overload protected.

Thank you for your concern. My frustration level is very high & my wife is becoming convinced that laying on of hands and faith healing is the next step. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If you were able to put the top the rest of the way up manually after it stopped, then that's an indication the valve on the pump wasn't tightened down and/or is low on hydraulic fluid or has a leak.

Are you getting any DIC messages?

The only time I've had the top switch not work with no DIC message, was when the windows weren't indexed properly. Maybe try that process again.

And...........check the switch in the dash too. Not likely, but you seem to have addressed everything else already.

Please let us know what you find, and for you buyers' considering a vert, I've had zero issues with my '06.

Hope I didn't jinx myself.

Good luck with this PITA.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by ccrvtt
Which one is labeled Convertible Top? There are 2 labeled with Tonneau. I read that if the tonneau doesn't release the top switch won't work. Tonneau is not releasing. I pulled and inspected ALL of these fuses. No luck.
There are two labeled 'tonneau relse', tonneau release and one labeled 'TPA', tonneau pull-down actuator.

And this one too-
REAR FOG/
ALDL/TOP SW

Rear Fog Lamp, Assembly Line
Diagnostic Link Connector,
Convertible Top Switch

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top Malfunction

Old 09-17-2017, 11:11 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
There are two labeled 'tonneau relse', tonneau release and one labeled 'TPA', tonneau pull-down actuator.

And this one too-
REAR FOG/
ALDL/TOP SW

Rear Fog Lamp, Assembly Line
Diagnostic Link Connector,
Convertible Top Switch
So I went back into the fuse box and rechecked all the tonneau and the ALDL/top switch. The fuses are good and the continuity tester indicates current. I removed the dash switch and disassembled it and everything looks good. Tested the plug for continuity and it's good, too.

I manually lowered the top and released the hydraulic pump. Then I raised the top and retightened the pump screw. I have re-indexed the windows several dozen times.

I have printed a TSB 09-08-67-013B and I am trying to make some sense of it. This TSB addresses shortening the limiter straps for the 5th bow to keep the rear window from contacting the tonneau.

I even read the owner's manual again and waited more than the required 5 minutes from the last time the switch is used to go to manual operation.

I would spend the $28 for online assistance if I thought that would actually fix my problem. Anyone have any input on that?
Old 09-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

This is from a 2013 post (TERRADRILLER). Sounds like the partition switch.

I had this happen on my 06 vert after having the trunk full of luggage on a long trip. The partition snap was snapped tight but the switch on the right side was not depressed far enough to close the circuit. I put a small piece of tape on the back of the switch so the switch would be depressed far enough to make contact..

All is well with the top, no further issues so far.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:53 AM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

My top stopped half way down once. I got a warning that the partition was not in place on the DIC. Popped the trunk and it was still in place so I tried again and got the same message. After unfastening and refastening it worked. I did not see where you were getting that message but perhaps something to do with the switch?

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Malfunction