C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DWO and DWI - rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 12:08 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 885 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Ah, we used the term q-tips for the same bunch.

OP has issues? Gimme a break. My DD is a motorcycle. These farts lumbering around in their Suburbans are a menace.
Used to DD a bike. These people kept scaring the crap out of me. Finally gave it up. They will run over you while you're sitting at a light. Too busy texting their friends.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:12 PM
amtronic1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zzjakect
We used to call them FOPS when I was in Florida. F#$%$@ Old People. LOL. Now I'm 60, but can still figure out a four way stop.
They're going down the road, turn signal on, seat belt hanging out the door throwing sparks, and you can only see two small hands up on the wheel. On their way to the Early Bird Special at 5PM, just right to mess up rush hour traffic.
We call them the Driving Dead.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:19 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I live in a smallish town that has a Del Webb senior community. Nice place with nice houses. Unfortunately they attract that nasty over 55 crowd. I'm 72 so save your self righteous nastygrams. Most of the ladies from this area seem to drive medium to large SUVs and they are constantly either driving while oblivious (DWO) or driving while indecisive (DWI). The town has more four way stops than stop lights and the agony of getting through one of these is amazing. If you're stuck behind one of these old gals, they will almost never go on their turn. They are frozen in time at the STOP sign. If you blow your horn they get pissed off. If you arrive at an intersection going 90* from one of them, they demonstrate that they don't know the first thing about four way stops. If you arrive first, you go first. If you arrive at the same time as a car on the cross street, the car on the right has the right of way. Simple, no? They will sit and wave cars past because they think that it is a safe thing to do. What they are actually doing is sowing confusion amongst those of us who KNOW who has the right of way, creating the possibility that two or more of us may start at the same time out of frustration and have an accident. One that Brun Hilda in her Lexus 400 will never be involved in, but will have caused. Phew! I'm done.
Its left hand turn here in East TN. They will not go past the white line until the oncoming car has completely gotten past it. Then they act as if the car is top heavy and go 2 mph. I sat behind one who sat through 3 cycles of the light. I just went around her and went to the next light. Its not just the women here. And its not just the older people.

I've also seen the scene at a stop light where one is going straight, the other turning left. The one with the right of way, being a nice person, waves the other to go ahead and make their left turn. Not to be outdone in kindness, the other wave the one with the right of way through. This took place back & forth until the light turned red and NOBODY got through the light. This is driving in the Tri Cities Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City)of East TN

i won't tell you about how they stop in the road to let someone merge from an on ramp.

BTW, I love your DWI & DWO. Hilarious!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:01 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TxLefty
Used to DD a bike. These people kept scaring the crap out of me. Finally gave it up. They will run over you while you're sitting at a light. Too busy texting their friends.
Yeah, I have been on a lucky streak of many years never to be down or hurt on the street. During that time, I've been rear ended three times but in cages. Beats me how I escaped having same on the bike.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:57 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
If I get to the stop second (two cars), I make it a point not to look at the other person. I know with their confusion, they're waving me through, but I don't look up. Come on! In the time it takes to wave, they could be through the intersection already. The other one I love is when the other car obviously gets there first and you're still arriving....maybe 50 to 100 feet out. They don't go until you're stopped (and it's obvious that you're slowing to eventually stop). This really gets my goat when I'm on my motorcycle 'cause I want to do a balanced stop and go...but can't because the yahoo that should already be long gone is waiting for me to stop. Stupid, stupid people.
I do the exact same thing. I make a point to stare down so the people can even see that you ain't looking. My wife hates it when i do it....LOL. Shes one of those people that say "oh, they're only trying to be nice when they let you go first"....
Old 08-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Well I for one would like to give credit where credit is due, some of the "creative driving" I see when the "snowbirds "are here just defies description, they are so inventive.
NSF
Old 08-26-2017, 11:00 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Well I for one would like to give credit where credit is due, some of the "creative driving" I see when the "snowbirds "are here just defies description, they are so inventive.
NSF
Yea....especially when they are in 4-wheel drives and they seem to forget that 4-wheel drive only helps you go forward better....it doesn't help you stop any better....esp. on ice....

Quick Reply: DWO and DWI - rant