C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WEIRD IDEA?? Service Charging System Message

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 PM
jonnys07
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WEIRD IDEA?? Service Charging System Message

I read this on one of the other Forums. Here is what it said about this owners C6 SERVICE CHARGING SYSTEM message “This is a weird one. I did have this error about 4 months ago after the battery went dead and jump started it. Talked to my guy at the dealer and told me to disconnect both the positive and negative from the battery and put them together for 10-30 seconds, I did the longer one, then hook them back up. Sounds stupid as all hell but it actually worked. I guess you can also use this if you need to get the auto windows to re-teach themselves”. Anyone try this or even heard of this??? Just wondering as I have just about tried everything else to eliminate the message on my ‘07. Thanks, Jon.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:34 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When my 06 had this message, I needed to replace the alternator.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:46 PM
jonnys07
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope that is not it on mine. thanks, jon.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:55 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Long known trick @ CF' particularly among old timer C6 owners.
Affectionately called 'forced rebooting' since computers are forced to reload.
Curiously enough it's solved many-a-gremlin w/ C6 electronics.

However there's a vocal contingent adamantly insisting FR doesn't do a thing, very knowledgeable respected members?
They've claimed all C6 systems reboot automatically w/ each start w/o risking disaster w/ ECM etc due to a possible spark when disconnecting.

So.
Chase e-gremlins down rabbit holes dropping $ along the way or reboot in hopes e-issue is solved.
Or don't reboot & risk Armageddon, begin an exhaustive troubleshooting process.
Pick your poison.
The following users liked this post:
jonnys07 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnys07
I read this on one of the other Forums. Here is what it said about this owners C6 SERVICE CHARGING SYSTEM message “This is a weird one. I did have this error about 4 months ago after the battery went dead and jump started it. Talked to my guy at the dealer and told me to disconnect both the positive and negative from the battery and put them together for 10-30 seconds, I did the longer one, then hook them back up. Sounds stupid as all hell but it actually worked. I guess you can also use this if you need to get the auto windows to re-teach themselves”. Anyone try this or even heard of this??? Just wondering as I have just about tried everything else to eliminate the message on my ‘07. Thanks, Jon.
I recently asked for advice since my cruise control suddenly quit working. Someone suggested unhooking the battery for a time and hooking it up again. I unhooked the battery and my wife and I went out for dinner in our daily driver. When we came home I hooked the battery up again and miraculously the cruise control worked again.

Last edited by Icecap; 08-17-2017 at 04:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jonnys07 (08-18-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To WEIRD IDEA?? Service Charging System Message

Quick Reply: WEIRD IDEA?? Service Charging System Message