C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Charger Wiring Route

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 04:28 PM
Ed Cackowski
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Battery Charger Wiring Route

Hi Rocket Riders !!!
I have a 2013 427 Vert and I want to connect a Cen-Tech 12 volt Battery Charger/Maintainer. My Battery is in the trunk and my power source is next to the Passenger door and drops down from the ceiling. I want to route the connection ( two 18GA Wires ) from the trunk to the right side of the passenger seat, so I can simply open the door and plug in the charger.

My problem is routing the wires from the trunk to the side of the passenger seat. There is no obvious route so before I started pulling on the carpet and speakers I thought I would call on the vast experience and knowledge of the Corvette Forum for the best route of the wires.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Cackowski
Hi Rocket Riders !!!
I have a 2013 427 Vert and I want to connect a Cen-Tech 12 volt Battery Charger/Maintainer. My Battery is in the trunk and my power source is next to the Passenger door and drops down from the ceiling. I want to route the connection ( two 18GA Wires ) from the trunk to the right side of the passenger seat, so I can simply open the door and plug in the charger.

My problem is routing the wires from the trunk to the side of the passenger seat. There is no obvious route so before I started pulling on the carpet and speakers I thought I would call on the vast experience and knowledge of the Corvette Forum for the best route of the wires.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Does it need to be hooked up in the trunk? Even though you battery is there don't you have the positive stud under the fuse panel lid in the engine compartment and a negative stud on the passenger side nesr the front at the inner fender or near the hood hinge point you can connect to?
Old 08-10-2017, 04:43 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

You could use your cig. lighter/power outlet to plug into and charge that way.
The following users liked this post:
Ed Cackowski (08-11-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

There is no need to run wires to bring power to the front of your car. Read your manual on how to jump start your car. There is already a remote positive and negative terminal at front of the car. This is where you would hook up jumper cables should you ever need to jump start your car. You can easily use this points to hook up your battery tender.

Or you can do was most of use do, use the cig lighter.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:45 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Simple, easy.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

It amazes me how.l many gadgets and wiring people do when you can run the wire under the door, put the wire in the little groove that's there, and close the door. I run mine across the driver's seat and out the door so I can't forget it's plugged in and drive off like I've seen more than enough times on here.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

only way to go..
Old 08-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Ed Cackowski
Advanced

Originally Posted by Homer3D
There is no need to run wires to bring power to the front of your car. Read your manual on how to jump start your car. There is already a remote positive and negative terminal at front of the car. This is where you would hook up jumper cables should you ever need to jump start your car. You can easily use this points to hook up your battery tender.

Or you can do was most of use do, use the cig lighter.
Thanks for the info ... I just checked the manual and found the positive lead . The negative side in the manual shows a bolt on the right front of the motor. It says LS3 shown and states others similar . On my LS7 there are two bolts one through the exhaust header and the other in the head. Which one do I use and how will I attach a wire to it ? I did use the Cig lighter until the plug no longer stays in the socket Thanks
Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I just did mine this week, Connected positive to lug next to fuse box under hood & negative to bolt on frame towards front on passenger side (I had to splice in a few extra ft ) then fished it through an opening in the lower front passenger side ( NO holes to drill ) then out the front of grill, works great I can fold it back into an opening in the grill when not in use, much easier than opening hood or door all the time..

Old 08-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Cackowski
On my LS7 there are two bolts one through the exhaust header and the other in the head. Which one do I use and how will I attach a wire to it ? I did use the Cig lighter until the plug no longer stays in the socket Thanks
Any bolt that is bolted to bare metal will work as a grounding point.

I am having the same issue with my cig lighter. It is starting to get loose and not making a good connection all the time. So I will probably have to wire in a different setup as well.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:49 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I simply open my hatch, hook up the charger to the battery with the alligator clips, then plug in the charger to the outlet on the wall on the passenger side of the car. Done. I also put a note on my driver side window "battery charger" so that I don't forget to unplug it before driving off. Been doing it that way now for 5 years.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Ed Cackowski
Advanced

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Any bolt that is bolted to bare metal will work as a grounding point.

I am having the same issue with my cig lighter. It is starting to get loose and not making a good connection all the time. So I will probably have to wire in a different setup as well.
Hi Homer !!!!!
I used the Cig Lighter for several years until recently when the plug would not stay in .That's why I am looking into permeate wiring. I switched to the plug in the console and it works fine . My problem is that my power is on the passenger side of the car and the console door opens toward the driver side so plugging it in is a real pain . I was told I could replace the cig lighter but that is more dash disassembly that I want to get into. Thanks
Old 08-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Ed Cackowski
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
I just did mine this week, Connected positive to lug next to fuse box under hood & negative to bolt on frame towards front on passenger side (I had to splice in a few extra ft ) then fished it through an opening in the lower front passenger side ( NO holes to drill ) then out the front of grill, works great I can fold it back into an opening in the grill when not in use, much easier than opening hood or door all the time..

Hey Johnathon that looks great !!! and I like that connector with the tab to seal the open end when not in use where did you get that ?
Thanks
Old 08-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 215 Posts

I just drive mine a few times a week.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 PM
RED84CF
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I simply open my hatch, hook up the charger to the battery with the alligator clips, then plug in the charger to the outlet on the wall on the passenger side of the car. Done. I also put a note on my driver side window "battery charger" so that I don't forget to unplug it before driving off. Been doing it that way now for 5 years.
Do this, or open the hood and clio to the post for jump starting. Let the hood down but not latched. Don't overthink it.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:37 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by flyeri
Don't overthink it.

I agree It' not that big a problem...

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Charger Wiring Route

Old 08-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Dragon Tamer
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Mag Connector

I chose to use the magnetic connector route for tending to the battery.
I wanted a quick and easy way to connect and disconnect the tender, and a way that if I forgot to disconnect,
it would disconnect itself if I drove away and forgot to disconnect it first.

The product I chose is the Mag Charger available from Corvette Central or Nakid Parts .

The product:

Name:  peuiU7Vl.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  21.2 KB

Name:  GZLYsV1l.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  20.6 KB

Name:  FmgYexll.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  21.2 KB

Pictures of my installation – installation time was under an hour:

Fully connected to battery tender

Name:  4ingP9Rl.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  23.6 KB

Receiver when disconnected (driving condition)

Name:  VUwxQ1Sl.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  29.2 KB

Unit connector head that connects to Battery Tender and it's mate on the car.

Name:  nnahUWJl.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  VGLbgPtl.jpg
Size:  68.6 KB

Wiring to battery inside engine compartment using 1/2” slit loom –
this conceals the connection between the Battery Tender battery
connection and the magnetic plug.

I chose to wire directly to the battery – alternatively you can also wire to the fuse box as others have done -
especially if your battery is in the trunk

Name:  Xk0FpZ9l.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  3VO4WS5l.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  d0eN30hl.jpg
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  rhPLMd9l.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  37.5 KB
redcycle13 (12-29-2020)
Old 08-12-2017, 02:27 PM
MarkB3
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
... then fished it through an opening in the lower front passenger side ( NO holes to drill ) then out the front of grill, works great I can fold it back into an opening in the grill when not in use, much easier than opening hood or door all the time..
I basically did the same thing a few months ago to my '11 GS. For years I used a direct battery connection, requiring me to open the door, pop the hood, connect the charger to the battery harness, then (carefully) lower the hood. Too many steps! So I spliced in a wire (10 foot Beltran extension cord from Amazon) from the battery harness to the front grill. I covered the wire in wire loom and zip tied it to other wire looms on the passenger side of engine compartment, and I was damned sure I got the polarity correct at the splice point. I found a hole at the base of the air box on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I fished the wire through to the grill. I zip-tied the plug to the grill on the passenger side. Works great. 1 step to plug it in, no FOB required.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:04 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

while the magnetic quick disconnect is nice, I ain't paying $79 for $15 (if that) worth of parts...

Last edited by joec; 08-12-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery Charger Wiring Route