C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asbestos used in construction of the C6???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 09:17 AM
Daniel Hodgkinson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion

Originally Posted by aussieross01
Thanks Torquetube, but as you know there's more to a car than just the engine.
Yes sir all cars under 30 years of age need to be converted ( read :- butchered ) to RHD.
These 'conversions' can only be done on these late Vettes by registered RAWS workshops. Cost to do a C6 is some $49.5kAus.
Fortunately I'm building under ICV ( individually constructed vehicle ) status, so I can convert myself, as I'm using this platform as a donor car for a 'special'.
I think you need to check that out to my understanding as it stands any vehicle 15 years and older ( that is progressive 15 years ) does not require converting to right hand drive, plus there is a way around the RAWS registration conversion workshops you can convert a car yourself providing you work with an automotive engineer who will sign of at each stage of the conversion the only thing you cant do is submit the compliance paperwork to Canberra your engineer must do that plus he must put the compliance plate on the car.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:28 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,179 Posts

Yep, as stated since AUS is on a tangent right now, leave the car on the ship, and have it shipped back out for for resale elsewhere. Your going to take a hit on the resale, but at least your going to get some money back, verses sitting on a pile of parts in country that are worthless isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 07-07-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:39 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ross I think maybe you are being just a little too concerned. I personally would think more likely they would be more interested in the air conditioners in those cars regarding the type of gas rather than asbestos because older cars are required to be degassed before being brought into the country. I had some clown chasing me re degassing certificate when I imported mine 10 years ago but in the end he was just talking sheet and there was no issue when the car arrived. They need to justify their job and personally the less you complain (read and thereby make yourself a target) the easier it becomes. One would think that considering all the other vehicles you have brought in without asbestos related bulldust then there will be no issue with this one either. Relax - maybe one of the other cars had some sealed containers built in and suspect for a drug mule. Keep your head down I suggest lol.

Last edited by ZIE06Bernie; 07-07-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:21 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Quick Reply: Asbestos used in construction of the C6???