C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Slick Rick
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stuck in Park

Ive done a lot of reading on older posts about this. Has there been a better fix to come up and repair this besides taking the console apart and breaking or wiring it back because GM is to cheap to come up with the correct fix or a recall. I have a 2005 Base and it seems it is a bigger problem with 2005 than any other year. I had a C5 before this and it had the column lock problem, but they did come out with a fix for that. And the after market fix was way better than the GM fix. Anybody that can give me some updated info I would really appreciate it.... Its not know fun being a couple hundred miles away from home and not knowing if your car is going to move or not. Ive been lucky It has only happened to me twice and both times in my driveway. And putting it in accessory mode only works if the solenoid isn't stuck......
Old 07-09-2017, 05:28 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,139 Likes on 709 Posts

What other fix could there possibly be?

If the electric solenoid & pawl no longer work as intended, you either replace or bypass.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:17 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
What other fix could there possibly be?

If the electric solenoid & pawl no longer work as intended, you either replace or bypass.
I agree. Buy a new part or disable the one that stopped working. What other option could there be?
Old 07-09-2017, 06:31 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Most have tied the locking pawl back, including myself. There was a recent thread on the subject that pinpointed the problem with the tin micro switch.
Either way, you would have to remove the radio surround console to get at either solution of your liking.
It's not that difficult to do at all.

Here is that most recent thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...use-found.html
Old 07-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 322 Posts

No doubt the pawl tie back method is the best for an absolutely sure fix.

FWIW
I cleaned the mechanism and lubed everything in the area with "dry teflon lube" and haven't problem since ( Full disclosure: OK once, but a slight wiggle and no problem.) in 2 1/2 years.

If I have to get in there again I'll probably add a wire to the center storage area, that some have recommended, to manually pull the pawl back. Which I think is the best solution.

Last edited by Dutch08; 07-09-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:16 PM
Slick Rick
Pro

After reading the most recent threads. I ordered the switch from Radio Shack. I also read there's a way to just pull up the boot to get access to switch and push boot back in when finished. Anybody try this. Makes since that its a switch. GM don't make any money changing a 2 dollar switch but a 1000 bucks to change out a shifter.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:29 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick Rick
After reading the most recent threads. I ordered the switch from Radio Shack. I also read there's a way to just pull up the boot to get access to switch and push boot back in when finished. Anybody try this. Makes since that its a switch. GM don't make any money changing a 2 dollar switch but a 1000 bucks to change out a shifter.
I don't know, but had I ever got caught I was going to just cut the boot and replace it later. Much better than getting towed.

I still don't know if the pawl is accessible that way, but it's no longer a problem.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I don't know, but had I ever got caught I was going to just cut the boot and replace it later. Much better than getting towed.

I still don't know if the pawl is accessible that way, but it's no longer a problem.

OK a "chicken ****" here, I'm worried about future liabilities. Agreed that pawl removal or tie back is the best way to fix this problem.

Some have fixed the problem by a "pull" device in the center console.

I fixed the problem with dry teflon lube ( at least for the last 2 years ) . So what's the right answer? I think the problem is dirt, but w/o question the answer is to pull release/or remove the pawl.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze

That was my fix too. No problem since.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Slick Rick
Pro

Heres what Im going to replace. Further research and repairs have shown that this switch does wear. Which is why if you push the shifter forward it will release the shift lock. For safety reasons, lawsuits, and future sale of the car I will not hack **** up.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Slick Rick; 07-11-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Add pic.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck in Park

Quick Reply: Stuck in Park