C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Spin

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:33 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I don't know about your car but I do use traction control and yes they still break loose .....takes a special touch to get it out of the hole even with traction control and great street tires if you are making any kind of power ...
Dave
Well thats interesting. Mine is making the stock 400 HP which is enough to breaks tires loose easily in a 3200 # vehicle. Mine will smoke em easily with T/C off. But with the T/C on it will only break loose for a nanu second and then squat and go. Are you sure your traction control is working properly ? I don't believe the tires should spin hardly at all if it is. Heck...maybe mines not working correctly. Sounds like a good question.....how many people can smoke their tires with their traction control "ON"??
Old 06-30-2017, 12:17 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well thats interesting. Mine is making the stock 400 HP which is enough to breaks tires loose easily in a 3200 # vehicle. Mine will smoke em easily with T/C off. But with the T/C on it will only break loose for a nanu second and then squat and go. Are you sure your traction control is working properly ? I don't believe the tires should spin hardly at all if it is. Heck...maybe mines not working correctly. Sounds like a good question.....how many people can smoke their tires with their traction control "ON"??
I can spin mine easily if I try to do so, but it catches quickly.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

how many people can smoke their tires with their traction control "ON"??
With the TC on. From 0mph if I just put pedal to the floor Ill spin. Not for long.. but more than Id like. Thing is the Im on a stock Eagle RF with a lot of wear on them. Prob only 40% tred left.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:30 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Also on mine 90 degree day a lot less wheel spin
Then a 65 /70 degree day

Last edited by skar; 06-30-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:51 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

When I was bone stock with OEM RF's, I could launch at the track or street with TC off and not spin, even in 50* temps and running mid-12's. Then with 14K miles, a tune and CAI, it started spinning a bit when running low 12's. The original tires kept getting worse, more so on the street, but new Invos returned the dead hook. After a few more mods I went to DR's for the track and the Invos started to spin on the street. A new set of Invos cured the street problem, but eventually also gave up. More mods and different brands later that worked good for the first 10K miles, but couldn't handle it much longer. Currently on Mich SS with about 10K and they won't hold a 1st gear punch from 20 on hot pavement.
I'm only at 394 rwhp , but you can see that most any tire will work well when new, yet suck long before the the tread is gone.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I just went to pilot super sports after buying the car with older, hardened BFG in the back. I used to be able to light them up at will without really trying to even with traction control on. It wouldn't take long for it to bring me back though if I didn't lift. Now with the new tires I find it takes me doing it on purpose to break them loose. New tires made a night and day difference.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,639 Posts

I am not stock , I have Headers , Intake , Ported Throttle body and a street tune ... I am sure my TC is working because if I turn it off it does not hook at all

it will blow the tires away with traction control on and eventually pull enough power to hook

I have to roll into the throttle and even then it is spinning a bit till it hooks , then it bogs a bit as the TC is pulling power , 2nd gear it would break them free again ....

Hoxxoh has been giving me ideas on how to launch and I have been getting better , Also under his direction I removed my TRANS TUNE as I think it was shifting way to hard a shocking the tires on the gear change

Dave
Old 06-30-2017, 02:04 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
New tires made a night and day difference.
Yep. I've been doing a lot of research and I've decided on FireStones. Cant beat that price. If someone has a better quality vs price tire please let me know.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:47 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I am not stock , I have Headers , Intake , Ported Throttle body and a street tune ... I am sure my TC is working because if I turn it off it does not hook at all

it will blow the tires away with traction control on and eventually pull enough power to hook

I have to roll into the throttle and even then it is spinning a bit till it hooks , then it bogs a bit as the TC is pulling power , 2nd gear it would break them free again ....

Hoxxoh has been giving me ideas on how to launch and I have been getting better , Also under his direction I removed my TRANS TUNE as I think it was shifting way to hard a shocking the tires on the gear change

Dave
I understand what you're sayun. Does make me wonder though why some Corvettes will not spin hardly at all with T/C....and then others will spin a lot. Guess just chalk it up to another one of those Corvette "Things".....
Old 06-30-2017, 02:54 PM
86SC
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

i usually leave the traction control on, i can roll out in 1st gear and punch it around 3k and it'll spin till i let off
Old 06-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I understand what you're sayun. Does make me wonder though why some Corvettes will not spin hardly at all with T/C....and then others will spin a lot. Guess just chalk it up to another one of those Corvette "Things".....
I think its the LG headers , when it was stock it ran good but when I put the headers , CAI and tune on it ..... it really woke things up a lot in the torque dept

Dave
Old 06-30-2017, 03:20 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Here is a video of no traction control , my buddy drives right around me when I try to pedal it , it got real scary on the 1 2 shift as you can see

And here is one using HOXXOH's method.. Drive around the water , do a quick blip to clean the tires , just brake torque it to 1,500 and roll into the throttle with one exception , I have to keep TC on ...

You will see during the burnout , if I just mash the pedal with TC on it blazes the tires and they are not that old at all ....

I am going to invest in a set of drag radials
Dave
Old 06-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Def seemed better with the HOXXOH's Method!
Old 06-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Adam Cifonelli
Def seemed better with the HOXXOH's Method!
HOXXOH is the man ......

along with a few others that I deeply respect !

Dave
Old 07-04-2017, 05:09 AM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Cifonelli
So Ive had my Vette for a few weeks now. Finally feeling comfortable to go WOT. Problem is no matter how slowly I rollin into 1st-2nd I cannot escape wheel spin. Is it just as simple as the stock Eagle RFs not hooking? Or is there just too much torque to avoid spinning?

Edit: On the road that is... not track.
eagle run flats are absolute ****, especially if they are old, check your dates 5+ years definitely ****...

same exact thing happened to me, got new MPSS non runflats, won't spin out on the street ever now
Old 07-04-2017, 07:54 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nick14003
eagle run flats are absolute ****, especially if they are old, check your dates 5+ years definitely ****...

same exact thing happened to me, got new MPSS non runflats, won't spin out on the street ever now
True Eagles are crap but don't say EVER ...I can blow my MPSS away if I chose to and I am just a bolt on car

They are better but .....

Dave
Old 07-04-2017, 08:31 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

True Eagles are crap but don't say EVER ...I can blow my MPSS away if I chose to and I am just a bolt on car

They are better but .....

Dave
I have gone 1.76 60ft on the stock Goodyears.with age and wear the traction goes away just like any other tire made.what are you getting for 60ft with the MPSS?

Last edited by irok; 07-04-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Spin

Old 07-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by irok
I have gone 1.76 60ft on the stock Goodyears.with age and wear the traction goes away just like any other tire made.what are you getting for 60ft with the MPSS?
still working on my "Driver Mod" ....

1.9 - 2.0 with traction control on .... no brake torque , rolling into the throttle , ECM is pulling power till they hook ...

I can't launch them hard or I blow them away .....you are 100% correct... when new they were like glue ....

Buying drag radials . Just need some rims ....

Dave
Old 07-04-2017, 09:52 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

still working on my "Driver Mod" ....

1.9 - 2.0 with traction control on .... no brake torque , rolling into the throttle , ECM is pulling power till they hook ...

I can't launch them hard or I blow them away .....you are 100% correct... when new they were like glue ....

Buying drag radials . Just need some rims ....

Dave
you need practice to get it to hook with TC off.that 1.76 was with TC off and with my MT's it will go 1.45 60ft leaving at idle

Last edited by irok; 07-04-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by irok
you need practice to get it to hook with TC off.that 1.76 was with TC off and with my MT's it will go 1.45 60ft leaving at idle
Yep I agree , I need to work on my driver mod ... we are getting better every week

Don't forget I am on run flats also ......

No excuse but its well known that our track is not prepped well on Friday night test and tune , they do a better job on Saturday bracket races
I turned TC off two weeks ago and scared the crap out of myself ... got it out of the hole pretty good but then all hell let loose as the engine came on the powerband , tried to pedal it but it was to late to save the run .....

I don't want to put it into the wall so I am just going save myself a lot of trouble and wait to get drag radials before i turn off TC again ....

I am just doing this for fun and running 12- 12.2 with my grocery getter is still a bunch of fun lol

Dave

Quick Reply: Wheel Spin