C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why are some people afraid to drive in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:31 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Forgot, C6s don't have wide tires.
They have wide tires. They don't have weather mode.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by nick14003
6 inches of water, killed my car... Got into the engine, a little bit into the car itself, got into the body control module, which was hell fixing...

technically it's because I have a ram air intake in the bottom grill, but still 6 inches of water will kill you

Also if you have any decent racing tires, water = in a wall

Avoid puddles, normal tires = no problem.
I still drive it in the rain as it is my only car, but I steer cleeeeeear of puddles

Old 06-27-2017, 08:04 PM
mlsins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
I have on occasion seen a Corvette melt in the rain... It's not a pretty sight......WW
Old 06-28-2017, 12:50 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Bruze
Whenever I press on the throttle, my wipers stop completely. I've got a vacuum problem somewhere.
You shoulda ordered the electric wiper option on your 6 cyl '51 Studebaker or made the jump to a V8 where they were standard equipment.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 AM
Flash_Gordon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

6 inches of water, killed my car... Got into the engine, a little bit into the car itself, got into the body control module, which was hell fixing...

technically it's because I have a ram air intake in the bottom grill, but still 6 inches of water will kill you

Also if you have any decent racing tires, water = in a wall

Avoid puddles, normal tires = no problem.
I still drive it in the rain as it is my only car, but I steer cleeeeeear of puddles
That was essentially me today in Houston. Avoided a car, and briefly hit high water... Unfortunately, briefly is all it took. It immediately shut down. I think it's just water in the engine but haven't heard the verdict yet.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 AM
hitthegopedal
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess I'm a "young buck" and my time is limited with work/side business/wife/baby. Between it and other toys, I have to get the seat hours in or I just can't justify keeping it around. I get that folks don't want to drive their cars in the rain, and neither do I, and I don't purposely ever venture out with rain in the forecast, but enjoying the car means sometimes it's going to get wet. I enjoy the car as much as possible in summer so that is going to mean going to work at 0400 and leaving it out all day, going to the boat and leaving it out all day, and always-accurate New England weather forecasts. This is how I treat my current car and it's a 3rd or 4th vehicle for me, so I guess I have the choice.

I will say the wet road manners are extremely good compared to other "sports" vehicles. I think at least my C5/C6s have done well; C3 not as much but still not terrible. Tires make a huge difference.

It's easy to keep a car clean when you don't drive on anything but a sunny sunday afternoon. Show me a car with miles that's been driven rain and shine and still looks pristine? That's pride of ownership and a sign of care that in most cases translates over to the maintenance side of the house. That's the car I want to buy, not the GQ.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:03 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by hitthegopedal
Show me a car with miles that's been driven rain and shine and still looks pristine? That's pride of ownership and a sign of care that in most cases translates over to the maintenance side of the house. That's the car I want to buy, not the GQ.
A little over 12k miles in a little over a year, including a 4k mile trip to California and back this past Christmas, and has not seen rain since I bought it.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
You shoulda ordered the electric wiper option on your 6 cyl '51 Studebaker or made the jump to a V8 where they were standard equipment.
Dang, the salesman never told me about the electric option.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:53 AM
hitthegopedal
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
A little over 12k miles in a little over a year, including a 4k mile trip to California and back this past Christmas, and has not seen rain since I bought it.

I don't know how one travels 4,000 miles and doesn't hit rain once. My luck I wouldn't get outside of Boston and it would start pouring.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by hitthegopedal
I don't know how one travels 4,000 miles and doesn't hit rain once. My luck I wouldn't get outside of Boston and it would start pouring.
The car gods like me.....most of the time.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:41 AM
Spider Vette
Racer

This was entertaining to read for sure. I put this up their with Stock vs Modded, Race car Vs Show Car. At the end of the day!!!! Nobody should really give 2 rats tails on what the next owner does with the car they bought..... Do you always & You will enjoy your car so much more...
Old 07-07-2017, 01:42 AM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
If thats you then i'm not sure the 6 inches of water was the culprit. Looks like the car throwing about 300 gallons of water all over the side may be the suspect.....
that is me, and it was the water, the second I hit the puddle, car died and it was game over... I was outside waiting for a tow and I snapped a pic
Old 07-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Flash_Gordon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

that is me, and it was the water, the second I hit the puddle, car died and it was game over... I was outside waiting for a tow and I snapped a pic
I feel your pain. Last night I received the final verdict on what happened to mine from the incident last week I mentioned above. Just one brief high patch of high water was all it took to completely seize up the engine. Having to get a brand new engine installed now.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by EVILFACE
It means you don't care for your car.
I care for my car it gets cleaned driving it in the rain doesnt hurt it. Vettes are meant to be driven

Quick Reply: why are some people afraid to drive in the rain?