C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erratic Radio Volume

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Erratic Radio Volume

I have a 2006 C6 vert with the stock radio. Has anyone experienced the volume control being very erratic? You turn up the volume and sometimes you spin it several times to get louder then just touch it, it blast you out. Then try to turn it down takes the same **** playing. Is there a fix or an upgrade that I can install relatively cheap? I just replaced my HVAC control panel because of it's blanking out so pulling the dash apart is getting easier each time.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:34 PM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My 06 does that also. Haven't found a fix yet.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 PM
MRundel
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio

My 06 does the same thing. I'm hoping there's a fix too.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,049 Likes on 822 Posts

IIRC on both my '03 AE & '06 w/ targa tops radio had a 'feature' called 'Auto Volume' or something similar.
Idea was w/ feature turned on it'd automatically adjust volume according to speed to compensate for wind noise/buffeting.
Check your Owner's Manual for this, how it works.
Might be this feature's turned on.

If your car's so equipped, could be feature's gone south.
Ideally if it is on turning it off would cure the symptom by eliminating it.
G/L
The following 2 users liked this post by Landru:
Jumper11 (06-20-2017), mikeypilot (08-18-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 07:00 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Landru
IIRC on both my '03 AE & '06 w/ targa tops radio had a 'feature' called 'Auto Volume' or something similar.
Idea was w/ feature turned on it'd automatically adjust volume according to speed to compensate for wind noise/buffeting.
Check your Owner's Manual for this, how it works.
Might be this feature's turned on.

If your car's so equipped, could be feature's gone south.
Ideally if it is on turning it off would cure the symptom by eliminating it.
G/L
I hear no difference when selecting the auto volume on or off. The radio volume **** is AFU. You just touch it and volume goes up or down. Its a challenge to get it right regardless of top up or down.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

The volume adjustment, as well as on/off, is signal driven, so it takes a moment to act. I have noticed that it takes up to 7 or 8 seconds for the "source" screen to come on when starting the vehicle, and the volume can take about 2 seconds to respond. So, if you are spinning the dial and nothing happens, then you spin again and it screams, that is because you did not wait for the signal to react. Other times, possibly depending on vehicle location/environment, it takes effect almost instantly.

I do not like it either, but do not believe there is a fix, other than swapping out the system for something else, as many have done.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:10 AM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2006 started to do that about a year after I bought it. My fix was simple. I just replaced it with a Kenwood HU with nav from Dennis.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Some stock radios are usually listed for sale in the parts for sale section. If you want to keep the radio looking stock, I would check it out
Old 08-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I had a similar problem with the station select ****. I pulled the **** off and sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the control. I allowed the contact cleaner time to dry. It works fine know. It seems like the volume control would be the same.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:33 PM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I found a fix for the radio volume problem. United Radio in Syracuse NY can fix it by replacing the volume control. They quoted $250 for the repair.

I will send mine in after an upcoming trip in it & report back.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

My '05 does this but only right after I start the car. Waiting for the Corvette logo to go off and the radio is playing, it is slow to react. But, once on, the volume changes properly.

Just another one of those electronic deals on this car. They made too many things electronic instead of "the way they've always been" like a radio volume ****!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:55 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Originally Posted by kevinkar
My '05 does this but only right after I start the car. Waiting for the Corvette logo to go off and the radio is playing, it is slow to react. But, once on, the volume changes properly.

Just another one of those electronic deals on this car. They made too many things electronic instead of "the way they've always been" like a radio volume ****!
The way I read the original post is that the radio has a conventional volume control ****.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:22 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
The way I read the original post is that the radio has a conventional volume control ****.
I was referring to what buckmeister2 noted - "The volume adjustment, as well as on/off, is signal driven, so it takes a moment to act." so it's not a conventional volume ****.

You can confirm it by turning it and turning it and turning it. Never stops like an actual conventional potentiometer would with hard stops but instead just reads the direction you're turning it and how many "clicks" it reads.

So it's electronic, not really mechanical.
The following users liked this post:
Sunnyvale Dave (09-24-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 05:34 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

My 06 vert has the Bose system and it's spose to have a newer (back in 06) techno type auto volume control thats not tied into the speedo. This new techno thing is spose to sense the outside noise environment and adjust the volume accordingly which is spose to work better in a vert. Well its a piece of crap ! Never has worked very good. Volume is all over the place. Why couldn't they have just left it alone......
Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 AM
kevinkar
Racer

I had a car with steering wheel volume controls and, every time my wife spoke, I'd secretly turn the volume up and, when she stopped, I'd turn it down. She finally said "What's with the volume? Is the radio broken?" I told her it had an auto-volume feature with "Wife Mode" and it was just doing its job.

Needless to say I don't have that car anymore.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:51 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
I had a car with steering wheel volume controls and, every time my wife spoke, I'd secretly turn the volume up and, when she stopped, I'd turn it down. She finally said "What's with the volume? Is the radio broken?" I told her it had an auto-volume feature with "Wife Mode" and it was just doing its job.

Needless to say I don't have that car anymore.
Now, that is hilarious! Decades ago, I had a company car with power windows, and new-for-the-time driver control. First time out in it together, my wife wanted to put the window up. She would raise it a bit, and I would lower it a bit. This went on for a little while. She was getting more and more upset at the "window that won't work", until I couldn't hold my laughter any longer. Wives...they're fun to mess with.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:47 AM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumper11
I have a 2006 C6 vert with the stock radio. Has anyone experienced the volume control being very erratic? You turn up the volume and sometimes you spin it several times to get louder then just touch it, it blast you out. Then try to turn it down takes the same **** playing. Is there a fix or an upgrade that I can install relatively cheap? I just replaced my HVAC control panel because of it's blanking out so pulling the dash apart is getting easier each time.
Never had that problem on my 05, I am curious if there is a way to override or eliminate the max volume limiter on them, they only go so loud then stop, can it be changed, raised or removed WITHOUT buying an aftermarket head unit?

Get notified of new replies

To Erratic Radio Volume

Quick Reply: Erratic Radio Volume