C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:16 PM
APLark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had one Vette or another for over 32 years and that's 5 Vettes. This is my last Vette. My Vette is covered in the garage with a Tender charger for my replaced battery. One thing in life I've always enjoyed is having a Corvette.
I appreciate the quality feedback that I got from "some" and the others can go straight to hell! This is why I haven't been on this sight in over 4 or 5 years. You ask a serious question for help and the little immature kids want to come out and clown you. I physically can't drive my Vette as much as I would like but it's mine and paid for since the first day that I got it. I'm not too long for this world but it does me good to be able when I can to go outside and look at, ride in or even clean it when my health permits. When I do leave this world its the only thing that I promised to my Grandson that he truly wants.
I see after all these years that the forum hasn't grown up for most people and they would rather try to make you out as an idiot, stupid or clown you without knowing the circumstances. When you have one thing that you have enjoyed for over 32 years and you can hold on to it and when you are physically able to enjoy it you do. The time gets less and less that I can enjoy it but when I can I do. My Grandson isn't old enough just yet to take it for me to have it serviced. If you call and ask the dealer they will tell you to replaced everything on the car even the carpet. I have to wait until I feel good enough to take it or wait until I can find somebody to do it for me.
Thank some of you for the helpful feedback.

Last edited by APLark; 06-19-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Old 06-19-2017, 03:53 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by APLark
I've had one Vette or another for over 32 years and that's 5 Vettes. This is my last Vette. My Vette is covered in the garage with a Tender charger for my replaced battery. One thing in life I've always enjoyed is having a Corvette.
I appreciate the quality feedback that I got from "some" and the others can go straight to hell! This is why I haven't been on this sight in over 4 or 5 years. You ask a serious question for help and the little immature kids want to come out and clown you. I physically can't drive my Vette as much as I would like but it's mine and paid for since the first day that I got it. I'm not too long for this world but it does me good to be able when I can to go outside and look at, ride in or even clean it when my health permits. When I do leave this world its the only thing that I promised to my Grandson that he truly wants.
I see after all these years that the forum hasn't grown up for most people and they would rather try to make you out as an idiot, stupid or clown you without knowing the circumstances. When you have one thing that you have enjoyed for over 32 years and you can hold on to it and when you are physically able to enjoy it you do. The time gets less and less that I can enjoy it but when I can I do. My Grandson isn't old enough just yet to take it for me to have it serviced. If you call and ask the dealer they will tell you to replaced everything on the car even the carpet. I have to wait until I feel good enough to take it or wait until I can find somebody to do it for me.
You asked for thoughts, you got thoughts along with some harmless humor. If you're not too long for this world why not spend the rest of you're time not being so grumpy? RELAX!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

oh damm... Get that Diff fluid changed.. Gotta be chatter...
Old 06-19-2017, 09:01 PM
APLark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
You asked for thoughts, you got thoughts along with some harmless humor. If you're not too long for this world why not spend the rest of you're time not being so grumpy? RELAX!
I didn't ask for humor I ask a question. If you want to be a comedian take classes. And I'm not grumpy just don't have time for ********!

Last edited by APLark; 06-19-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,108 Likes on 708 Posts

I am in Chino as well. If you need any help, feel free to PM me. Same for your grandson. I am only 59 so I should be around to help him get started when the time comes. My garage is full of tools and I would be happy to show him how to do an oil change, flush brake fluid, check those brake pads, etc. If you or your grandson is interested, don't hesitate to ask. Really. Even if it is a quick oil change, we can get him started on a lifetime of Corvette fun, just like his grandpa has had.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 06-19-2017 at 10:24 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by HBsurfer:
carl3989 (06-20-2017), Elizabeth City Vette (06-20-2017), Evander Holyfield (06-19-2017), HOXXOH (06-20-2017), Vet Interested (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
I am in Chino as well. If you need any help, feel free to PM me. Same for your grandson. I am only 59 so I should be around to help him get started when the time comes. My garage is full of tools and I would be happy to show him how to do an oil change, flush brake fluid, check those brake pads, etc. If you or your grandson is interested, don't hesitate to ask. Really. Even if it is a quick oil change, we can get him started on a lifetime of Corvette fun, just like his grandpa has had.
HB, yer a stand-up guy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruze:
carl3989 (06-20-2017), carls2004 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 PM
EVRose
Race Director

I didn't ask for humor I ask a question. If you want to be a comedian take classes. And I'm not grumpy just don't have time for ********!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:18 AM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I gave you the best list I could off the cuff - but, seriously:

The way you posed the question (by first making a statement that seemed almost humorous), I thought your post might be sarcastic (trolling) type of post. I was almost reluctant to answer straight-up.

Gotta be mindful of this: your readers don't know the context of your post without a little bit of qualifying when you hit enter. This Comm thing is a 2-way street.

Good luck with your car and the efforts to get it up to par!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:35 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,360 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Perhaps if post #21 was your first post you would have gotten more serious answers and offers of help, ala HBSurfer.

You "don't have time for ********" and apparently don't have time to read the manual, either.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:14 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

So you say you haven't been here in 4-5 years. I guess that I was right that you just can't read. How's that for being an *******?

BTW, PLEASE don't give this piece of junk to your grandson who will only have heartache if he tries to use it. You haven't maintained it so it is going to have lots of problems and he is going to be reluctant to sell "Grandpa's" favorite car. PLEASE sell it and buy a properly maintained one for him that will last if driven regularly. And that isn't a joke.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:01 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I purchased my Vette new in Sept 2005. I have 37,000 miles and I've changed the oil twice and purchased new tires. What else do I need? Fluids changed, brakes seem ok..... your thoughts????
Had to reply again .. I had mentioned the rear diff fluid change as it is a known issue with early C6.. and newer. And it was the first thing that popped into my head....Trust me as i've had three in a row... that had factory fluid and they chatter. Seen cases as soon as car hit 9000 miles.. So that fluid change is a definitely..Did it get worse by car sitting (NO),, but would need to be drained and replaced.
From your post 21 i think ? it sounds like you are driving it some..
So that is a big plus for the car....So there is a SMALL list of stuff that needs to be checked (BUT) may not need addressing at all and is fine..
Couple example's of the NO's are.. - Spark plugs do not need changing unless one is diagnosed bad.. NO the trans fluid doe's not need to be changed ect ect. .. So if you have driven the car recently and it seem's fine to you then YES your maint list of the do's TO DO is small..
My best answer for you if you cant do the legit stuff is take it to a known good shop that wont steer you wrong..Or maybe a good member here in your area can steer ya to a local shop or better yet help ya..
I would give you my list (Small) but again there would be other's that would disagree... Sorry for some member making you ??????.. Im sure they didnt mean too..

Last edited by carls2004; 06-20-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well heck fire, you've opened up a big-ol-can-a-worms posting this question in this forum. Of course the main streamers are gonna call you an #$%^& for going so long without at least oil changes. And then theres the ones that think you should change your brake fluid after every 4-5 stops....HUH? Me thinks maybe it's not such a bad thing as some people seem to want to say. I went years sometimes without regular fluid changes on some of my other hot rods & vettes and never had a related problem. But you did leave out one of the most important things.....and that would be changing the air in the tires....don't cha know that the air wears out ?.....
Also forgot that pesky turn signal fluid. It goes bad after every 6th or 7th turn.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:37 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by schizcat
Also forgot that pesky turn signal fluid. It goes bad after every 6th or 7th turn.
With that comment you just joined the ******* comedians club!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989
Back in the 70s I knew a guy who bought a Datsun 240Z kept it for 10 years and bragged he never changed the oil. I was horrified but he never had one mechanical problem.
A friend in college (many years ago) was convinced that oil changes were just a conspiracy to get our money, arguing that oil doesn't become less slippery (lubricious?) in the car, so why change it. Wouldn't listen to arguments about oil holding nasty stuff in suspension or acidic combustion byproducts. His 66 Impala lasted only three years with just adding oil as the motor started using oil. Yes, this was when a 66 Impala was a late model car. Embarassed to admit that this guy was an engineering student (EE) and went on to become a big wheel with HP.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by florida john
A friend in college (many years ago) was convinced that oil changes were just a conspiracy to get our money, arguing that oil doesn't become less slippery (lubricious?) in the car, so why change it. Wouldn't listen to arguments about oil holding nasty stuff in suspension or acidic combustion byproducts. His 66 Impala lasted only three years with just adding oil as the motor started using oil. Yes, this was when a 66 Impala was a late model car. Embarassed to admit that this guy was an engineering student (EE) and went on to become a big wheel with HP.
Ha, I can top that.

One of my uncles was a chicken farmer and had like an early-to-mid '60s Chevy pickup. I remember something being wrong with it (needed a rebuild or something, don't remember) and my dad told me that my uncle would drain the oil out and run it through a friggin' screen and dump it back in, lol. Well I guess it would at least catch the mouse carcasses.

My dad knew better than that, although they were both young men during the Depression and saving a nickle was of the utmost importance.

A side note: This same uncle died in the early '80s (he was 80-82 and healthy) but he hit his shin on a paint can and got blood poisoning from it, but he refused to see a real doctor when things went bad and it killed him.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Yea. The stories that we could tell about our depression era parents could make your eyes pop out. Esp. the ones about cars and trying to get every mile out they could without putting any $$$ in them.

Get notified of new replies

To Fluid Change?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by windyC6
Yea. The stories that we could tell about our depression era parents could make your eyes pop out. Esp. the ones about cars and trying to get every mile out they could without putting any $$$ in them.
As our C6's age with corresponding price reductions, the age of owners on this forum has dropped too. That said, there aren't as many of us left that had depression era parents. Our kids may have seen their grandparents values or the results we carried over, but their kids (today's 20 and 30 somethings) are too far removed to understand or care.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
As our C6's age with corresponding price reductions, the age of owners on this forum has dropped too. That said, there aren't as many of us left that had depression era parents. Our kids may have seen their grandparents values or the results we carried over, but their kids (today's 20 and 30 somethings) are too far removed to understand or care.
Yup, I see that all the time with the younger generations.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:53 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Can I get a "AMEN"....???

Quick Reply: Fluid Change?