C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 won't shift out of park - root cause found

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 02:37 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by The Speed Chief
This one was on me. I’ll share this in case someone else has this exact same problem or something similar. The issue was the soldered connection to the new switch I previously replaced loosened. I’ve soldered 1000’s of connections, so embarrassing to say that, but that was the issue - but again, want to share to let others know that this fix really does work (as long as you solder correctly!) and that sometimes issues can come up. Thanks to everyone’s contribution on this thread and forum!!
Glad you found it. Thanks for the update.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:21 PM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
That's interesting for sure, but I've already cut the locking 'dog' off in mine years ago. Haven't had a problem since.
That's the fix right there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Jay E:
Trebor (11-09-2022), ValenciaOrange (05-08-2023)
Old 11-13-2022, 06:33 PM
Teebone56
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks I am not one to cut things off ….I am giving this a try. I am also putting a momentary switch in the ashtray area so I can bypass the switch just a backup so I don’t get stranded. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-07-2023, 10:56 PM
yellovett
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Replacing the switch

I know this is an old thread, but the problem still keeps cropping up.
I'm planning to replace the switch. Since the new one has spade connectors, and as already noted, we should use the Normally Open NO and the Common connectors, does it matter which wire goes to which connector? The blue and the orange wires.. does it matter which terminal they attach to?
thank you.

This thread could probably qualify as a sticky note.
Old 05-08-2023, 12:12 AM
Teebone56
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yellovett
I know this is an old thread, but the problem still keeps cropping up.
I'm planning to replace the switch. Since the new one has spade connectors, and as already noted, we should use the Normally Open NO and the Common connectors, does it matter which wire goes to which connector? The blue and the orange wires.. does it matter which terminal they attach to?
thank you.

This thread could probably qualify as a sticky note.
It doesn’t matter they complete the circuit. Touch the two together the actuator releases the dog. While I was in there I drilled a small hole in the dog connected a wire and ran it into the console. That way I can release the dog if I lose power. I also installed a momentary switch by the lighter.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:14 PM
cadbob
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is a source for Switch. Hope it helps!

https://us.rs-online.com/product/omr...gl13/70176087/

The following users liked this post:
Mike Green9 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 10:27 AM
Some1heartbeat
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This good but

Originally Posted by Dennis49buick
My simple fix: zip-tie each micro switch to the “closed” position. Then put the switches back on their mounting posts. Put your console back together and enjoy!

Small zip-ties on each switch. This worked for me.
Originally Posted by Mr. Jean
I came up with this idea and it worked fine for me.
I used a Bic pen tube and cut it to size(length), with the pawl pulled all the way back. Then sliced the full length open,
so I could slip it over the rod. Then for safe keeping, I put a tie on it.
The pencil is pointing at the Bic pen tube and tie. I cut the long tie end off after the shot was taken.

This way nothing is drilled, wired or cut off and when removed is in stock condition.
I plan on doing a post on the whole job in a bit. Hope this helps.

Why don't you try to fix push button for release that shifter safety when you need to get out of the park position and it will return to it's normal function as you push to park.
I think this will be beter😁
Old 09-10-2023, 03:03 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Some1heartbeat
Why don't you try to fix push button for release that shifter safety when you need to get out of the park position and it will return to it's normal function as you push to park.
I think this will be beter😁
Because in some cases it's not the button that's bad. Many different things can be the problem.
My way passes them all and can be done without damage, so it can be corrected later if needed.
Others have their way, I've chosen mine. Good luck with yours.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:07 AM
Some1heartbeat
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You got a point

Originally Posted by Mr. Jean
Because in some cases it's not the button that's bad. Many different things can be the problem.
My way passes them all and can be done without damage, so it can be corrected later if needed.
Others have their way, I've chosen mine. Good luck with yours.

As I said my dear friend.
And as you said so, there are different problems may case this No shifting from park.
As I face with my c6 gear shift ting.
Frist the problem was with damage kbon which was broke to pieces and I solve that with installing a Cadillac **** after making grove inside so it will go through the original shaft.

The I faced that the push shaft was stuck hardly, and that was because of pin across the shaft which come over the returning spring. ( the pin was getting out of its place.
And after all this I done and solved this problems.
I am facing that the solinoide luck up is not functioning as it should be.
Checked the fuse and found OK, checked the relay also was OK, and I got conclusion that the solinoide is not OK.
And now I will do something for temporary to get released from parking with my idea.
Your idea is good for temporary, but you got to keep in mind that doing it your way will case easy shifting from park without safety luck.
And any one can shift the gear such as kids or thief.
And if only you know the way for unluck from parking position it will be more secure for you 👍

Wish you lick with you good work.
And wish to exchange knowledge with you in future ❤️

Last edited by Some1heartbeat; 09-11-2023 at 04:52 AM.
Mr. Jean (09-11-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 03:07 PM
Chris_G
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Thanks everyone for this information, priceless!

I ordered 4 switches from eBay for $10 delivered. Removed center console, left the shifter in place and worked around it. Not too bad of a job.

The actuator is slightly different than the factory switch. A little adjustment is needed. Do this and check with a meter before you reinstall the console, I did and really happy that I did.

EDIT: The switch that I removed has 52 ohms resistance, constant.

Last edited by Chris_G; 09-15-2023 at 06:15 AM.
rpw1690 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 11:27 AM
dw886
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I have this same problem where sometimes I can't shift from park, so I've been reading this thread (and have the center console removed on my C6 in the garage at the moment).

Definitely looks like the root cause is the micro switch, and I have new microswitches on order from Amazon that I'm planning on soldering in.

Looks like someone created a harness that you can replace that has a version of the microswitch that has a roller on it - stumbled upon this video when searching for the issue:

Sharing the custom harness that they're selling for those that don't want to solder:
2005-2013 Corvette Automatic Shifter Repair Harness FREE... – Corvette Parts Center

Quite a bit more than I paid for the switches, but this is probably a simpler DIY solution if you don't want to solder.
rpw1690 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 11:40 AM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 834 Likes on 485 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Old 02-17-2024, 04:37 PM
Whatscooking
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayzzz
I have a 2005 with the A4 automatic transmission and have the problem with shifting out of park. Does anyone know if the part #SS-5GL13 switch used to repair the A6 automatic will work to fix it. I did the what in the world is going here stuck in a parking lot the first time and almost started to kill the shifter but it finally shifted. It's done it a few more times and is time to fix it.
My Corvette likes my money

Anyone have the part number for the switch with the roller?
Old 02-19-2024, 05:26 PM
Accelo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Newark.com has the exact replacement switch.
the SKU is 51p3632
rpw1690 (02-19-2024)

Quick Reply: A6 won't shift out of park - root cause found