C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting from D to N while driving safe? ( 6 speed automatic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 11:24 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Sometimes I can't believe the questions that are asked here ...
I hear ya.
As for this question I can only say that my automatic pickup gets tossed into N (that's neutral boys and girls) if I am sitting at a long light. No reason, just do.
Having said that...a buddy (in 1963ish) had a '54 Ford with fordomatic that he used to make sound like a 3spd...gas it in 1st, neutral and rev it up, into 2nd, etc....
Old 06-05-2017, 04:08 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Maybe as a teenager, but not as a grown *** adult. LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:41 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This thread is just another example of someone asking a question, but never coming back to the thread they started.

Just a waste of time for the people that try to help out the OP.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:03 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
O.K., gotta ask (and NOT being critical, just wondering), why would you want to do this?
To rev the engine up at lights like all the harley posers do!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:07 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I don't believe you are supposed to tow a C-6 in neutral but I might be wrong. I know on many automatic transmission cars they cannot be towed in neutral or it could damage the transmission even if the car is running in neutral while towing. I see no reason to ever want to flip the car into neutral while driving. These automatic transmissions on newer cars are quite touchy and expensive. They are having a lot of problems with the A8 transmissions on C7s without even abusing them.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 AM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Owners Manual doesn't say to do it so don't!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

no youll screw it up guaranteed dont believe me keep doing it
Old 06-05-2017, 11:59 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by EVILFACE
To rev the engine up at lights like all the harley posers do!
I thought HD riders did that to keep those lawnmower engines running?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:31 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by joeking
...I know on many automatic transmission cars they cannot be towed in neutral...
Ya hafta tow 'em in Park.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:42 PM
jmeirhofer
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
This thread is just another example of someone asking a question, but never coming back to the thread they started.

Just a waste of time for the people that try to help out the OP.
Maybe it is just me but I would sometimes have a hard time returning to this tough crowd as well.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^^Maybe so, but there are so few places to get truly good info, and how many people go searching at a library any more?

Among the comments, you will read some that have current knowledge, some that goes way back but is irrelevant to today's vehicles, and some that is based on no knowledge. But at least it's an "instant answer" which is what anyone is seeking when they post a question online in THIS forum.

Try for an "instant answer" on some of the other forums where no one shows up for hours (or days) and you can see why this is the largest forum for Corvettes.

What comes with that "instant answer" and popularity of a forum is sometimes not for the faint of heart, those who are easily offended, thin-skinned, etc. It also requires someone to use their judgment and whatever knowledge they might have for a method that could be crucial or critical if it's done wrong. In other words, checking to see if the supposedly learned opinion is not just another old tale that will lead someone to ruin a part.

For my part, in my time on CF I have learned far, far more than I've been offended by opinions and comments. Just my opinion, yours may differ.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:20 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

And I find those "instant answers" to be wrong more often than not. The first few answers (this thread is an exception) seem to always be wrong with the result being at best a waste of time but often leading to significant damage if followed. Your description of the types of knowledge people here have is right on. The reason I stopped posting/answering as much as I used to is the level of knowledge seems to be dropping daily. I get very tired of correcting answers by people who have no knowledge whatsoever of the C6.

When I have an issue, as I did last week, I just do a search and read everything I can find on the subject. It seems everything that can go wrong with a C6 has been discussed many times before in this forum. The site search function is pretty much worthless but do a Google search adding C6 site:corvetteforum.com and you get good results.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:35 AM
dcarter0001
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

With the lock up torque converter, if you are going say 50 mph and put it in N and let the engine go to idle and then put it in D, the rear wheels will skid because they cannot override the engine, This can cause you to lose control of the car.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:45 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
....I just do a search and read everything I can find on the subject. It seems everything that can go wrong with a C6 has been discussed many times...
...the level of knowledge seems to be dropping daily. I get very tired of correcting answers by people who have no knowledge whatsoever of the C6
And therein, FMAl, lies the crux of the problem. If the majority of the folks would either research their issue first ("What is my car worth" ) or think about what they are really asking ("Lawn sprinklers are wetting car" ) the snarky answers would be reduced significantly.
Dumbing down of C6 owners? Certainly. As the C6 becomes more affordable to the masses it will only get worse. There was an almost 200k mile C6 coupe for $8000 posted recently. Can you imagine the questions a potential buyer of that car may have?
I feel your pain, FMAl.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:48 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by dcarter0001
With the lock up torque converter, if you are going say 50 mph and put it in N and let the engine go to idle and then put it in D, the rear wheels will skid because they cannot override the engine, This can cause you to lose control of the car.
That has never happened in any of the three C6's I have owned. ??
Old 06-06-2017, 10:53 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

More wear on the shift cable bushing. You just might be on the highway with no way to get back in drive.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
That has never happened in any of the three C6's I have owned. ??
The mechanical clutch won't be engaged in the torque converter when shifting from neutral into drive so that won't be an issue.

Standard verbiage in the automatic transmission section of most GM owner's manuals notes that the neutral position is to be used to restart the engine if it stalls while the car is in motion. However this would be a pretty rare occurrence to have the engine in an automatic equipped vehicle stall while the vehicle is in motion and even more rare if it actually does restart since I would expect the cause of stalling would be a lack of fuel or some significant failure in the engine.

Revving an engine in neutral while the vehicle is moving shouldn't create a problem with the transmission however the protective software in many TCM/PCM modules will prevent shifting out of neutral into gear above a fairly low RPM so you may embarrass yourself while trying to look cool if you can't get back into a forward gear when you expect. I guess this is about as close as you can come to missing a shift with an automatic

Get notified of new replies

To shifting from D to N while driving safe? ( 6 speed automatic)

Old 06-06-2017, 09:13 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 277 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Rev matching, if you don't do that (the same as you would with a manual trans) you may have issues with other parts of the car such as in the axles or other parts of the drive train.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
...Dumbing down of C6 owners? Certainly. As the C6 becomes more affordable to the masses it will only get worse. There was an almost 200k mile C6 coupe for $8000 posted recently. Can you imagine the questions a potential buyer of that car may have?
I feel your pain, FMAl.
I can understand the noobs just getting into the Corvette who have been here less than a year asking dumb question. My real issue is with the people who have been here more than 10 years and have more than 100 thanks who spew nothing but total nonsense cures in response to legitimate issues. Again, searching would show that so, you noobs out there, beware of the "experts" until you have done some research to see if their reputation is deserved. And that includes anything I might post.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Sounds like a wanna be move. next time get the real thing...J/K

While it may seem a safe thing to do it is not a prudent act.

While under way and being in neutral you have essential loss some control of the car.

And the revs return to idle, unless of course you are revving for effect. While in idle the engine has more possibility of dying and then power is gone for steering etc. Plus the mistimed act of revving while shifting would be not advisable either.

I have never felt safe in doing this, although all but one of my cars has been a manual over 50 years.

Now when I was young and foolish we used to coast down a winding tight turned mountain road to see who could use the brakes the less amount of times. This was on motorcycles, cafe racers. Never had the engine stall but it was always in the back of my mind, especially when setting up for a tight fast turn. There where a few hairpins and the brakes needed to be taped for these for sure.

So been there done that.

Last edited by Boomer111; 06-07-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: shifting from D to N while driving safe? ( 6 speed automatic)