C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install a Supervettes ZR6X Extreme Rear Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Anyone install a Supervettes ZR6X Extreme Rear Spoiler?

I am thinking about investing in a Supervettes ZR6X Extreme Rear Spoiler. They are painfully expensive, relative to most rear spoilers, but it has the style that most catches my eye.

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten and installed one? How was the fit and finish for you? I'm assuming that once you had it (fiberglass version) painted, it was a fairly straight forward install?

Only interested in comments about this rear spoiler. TIA
Old 06-02-2017, 07:29 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Yes I have one and I love it. 99% of all C6 Vettes on the road all have the same spoiler. This one WILL set you apart from the rest. Yes it is more costly than the other one's but who cares if it makes you happy then you buy it.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
C6blackthunder (06-14-2020)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Thanks for the post - I knew I should have posted a picture, as this is not the one I'm looking at - this is a newer offering from them, the GT6X Extreme Rear Spoiler.

It doesn't do a thing for me visually and I question it's ability to functionally add downforce since the bulk of the air travels over the rear sides of the car, not the center.

From my observation, most 'vettes have no rear spoiler. After that, it's a mix, as reflected here and in a forum thread all about rear spoilers. The ZR6X is a style that is rarer, though I have found another company that makes one very similar also, SS Vettes. One real weakness, IMHO, with most aftermarket rear spoilers is the third brake light is an afterthought and looks out of place. Supervettes thought about it's placement in their two spoilers. I appreciate that attention to detail.

Last edited by Midnight08; 06-02-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added model number info
Old 06-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Is this the spoiler you're referring to?

Sorry I don't have a better pictures at the moment. I took these right after I painted and mounted it. The only thing I had a bit of trouble with was getting the 3rd brake light to fit in there. I had to file down the spots where the light mounts inside the spoiler. Other than that, I love it!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Hells
Is this the spoiler you're referring to?

[IMG]

[IMG]

Sorry I don't have a better pictures at the moment. I took these right after I painted and mounted it. The only thing I had a bit of trouble with was getting the 3rd brake light to fit in there. I had to file down the spots where the light mounts inside the spoiler. Other than that, I love it!
That looks like the one. I have found this one and one sold by SS Vettes that is similar.

What did it cost to have painted? Did you need to remove all four tail lights and drill all along to complete the install?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight08
That looks like the one. I have found this one and one sold by SS Vettes that is similar.

What did it cost to have painted? Did you need to remove all four tail lights and drill all along to complete the install?
It looks just like the ZR1 Extended from C7 Carbon as well.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
It looks just like the ZR1 Extended from C7 Carbon as well.
It is similar, except, IMHO, the third brake light seems an afterthought. It's there because it has to be. Again - just my opinion, relative to the other two. Visually, I think the c7carbon version (which I had in my hands at one point) is more aggressive and taller. At the time I couldn't find a shop that would install it - so had to sell to another forum member (c7carbon would not accept it back on my dime and issue a refund). I have since found a guy willing to work on this stuff, and it sounds like most of these rear spoilers fit well enough they can be installed by an owner willing to measure and drill.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:33 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,384 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
Yes I have one and I love it. 99% of all C6 Vettes on the road all have the same spoiler. This one WILL set you apart from the rest. Yes it is more costly than the other one's but who cares if it makes you happy then you buy it.
I agree with you that everyone seems to run the GM full width spoiler or a version of the ZR1 spoiler.

I started the spoiler thread so that I could try to see the various options out there.

I really like the GT6X spoiler but I'm torn between it and the ZR1 Extreme and I can't ever make a final decision.

Last edited by jbc1995fb; 06-02-2017 at 01:29 PM. Reason: changed ZR6X to GT6X
Old 06-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
I agree with you that everyone seems to run the GM full width spoiler or a version of the ZR1 spoiler.

I started the spoiler thread so that I could try to see the various options out there.

I really like the ZR6X spoiler but I'm torn between it and the ZR1 Extreme and I can't ever make a final decision.
When I bought my car (used) it already had the ZR1 spoiler, which is a nice touch compared to the third brake bump. To my eye, the ZR6X seems to have designed a place for the third brake light, rather than cut a hole to accommodate its presence. It seems that SS Vettes may have a similar solution, but their website is flaky and they are no longer a forum vendor. SO, it has me leaning toward the Supervette version. I have reached out to them with a couple of questions and they replied quickly and that counts for something in my world. Factoring price into this, c7carbon gets the nod, since shipping, paint, etc. theirs is roughly half the cost of the one from Supervettes. Decisions, decisions.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Just to provide a good visual aid, here is a nice shot of the third brake light on my C7 Carbon version.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Just to provide a good visual aid, here is a nice shot of the third brake light on my C7 Carbon version.

Great looking car! Thanks for the posting the shot. What bugs me with this spoiler and the brake light is that, it sits, not in the middle, or top (most logical) but at the bottom. That just seems off to me, visually. It should at least be in the center (top to bottom and left to right), or look like it was designed into it, like the Supervettes, or SS Vette versions. Again, this is all just my opinion. I think the SS Vette version is a bit less than the Supervette version, but due to a flaky website, I can't find a way to get in touch and people here haven't replied to PMs, so my current leaning is toward the one from Supervette. And, they did provide an option for bringing some of the cost down, which I also appreciate.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:18 PM
jnrandall
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
Sweet!
Old 06-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Great looking car! Thanks for the posting the shot. What bugs me with this spoiler and the brake light is that, it sits, not in the middle, or top (most logical) but at the bottom. That just seems off to me, visually. It should at least be in the center (top to bottom and left to right), or look like it was designed into it, like the Supervettes, or SS Vette versions. Again, this is all just my opinion. I think the SS Vette version is a bit less than the Supervette version, but due to a flaky website, I can't find a way to get in touch and people here haven't replied to PMs, so my current leaning is toward the one from Supervette. And, they did provide an option for bringing some of the cost down, which I also appreciate.
Thanks! Something to keep in mind is that when you think about the curved part of the front of the spoiler, there really isn't much room left to move the 3rd light up and still have enough material on the front for strength to prevent the fiberglass from cracking.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 06-02-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:27 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,384 Likes on 897 Posts

I think if you're trying to get ahold of the guys at SS Vette, it's best to text them. I did once and got a response from Don. 239-867-8388

If I'm not mistaken, Don actually makes the ZR6X for Supervettes. If not, they both are using the same pictures when talking to customers. The Supervette website has forum member 1FUNRide's car on their website, but I've asked him and he got his through Don at SS Vette.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Not sure on the cost to have it painted. I painted it myself. I bought a can of '06 factory black spray paint from paintscratch.com.

You will have to remove all four tail lights and drill some holes to install it. It comes with studs already installed. I made a template by punching the studs through some cardboard and tracing the outer edge of the spoiler. Worked out pretty well.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
If I'm not mistaken, Don actually makes the ZR6X for Supervettes. If not, they both are using the same pictures when talking to customers. The Supervette website has forum member 1FUNRide's car on their website, but I've asked him and he got his through Don at SS Vette.
Yeah, have to check into this, as close comparison of the two, it is hard to tell the difference. I've been collecting images from a few places trying to get a handle on this.

Will try a text and see where that gets me. Thanks for the comments!
Old 06-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Hells
Not sure on the cost to have it painted. I painted it myself. I bought a can of '06 factory black spray paint from paintscratch.com.

You will have to remove all four tail lights and drill some holes to install it. It comes with studs already installed. I made a template by punching the studs through some cardboard and tracing the outer edge of the spoiler. Worked out pretty well.
Thanks for the detail and tips. I really like the idea of using cardboard, or some other element like that, that can easily be fit to the car for the drilling. Other places I've read taping off the back end (painter's tape) then covering the ends of the studs with chalk to dot the tape for drill holes.

And, from the variety of pictures I've seen, there is some variance in how far back people install these. Some with no edge (in the back), some with a bit more edge, so there is some room to dial it in the way one wants it.

I'm guessing the studs aren't that long, so even a half an inch of foam on the car would protect it a bit, for dry fitting, before one starts drilling.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone install a Supervettes ZR6X Extreme Rear Spoiler?

Old 06-02-2017, 07:06 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Yeah, have to check into this, as close comparison of the two, it is hard to tell the difference. I've been collecting images from a few places trying to get a handle on this.

Will try a text and see where that gets me. Thanks for the comments!
Also Commander2000 has the ZR8X, he can answer any of your questions regarding these products
Old 06-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Well after a small army of calls, emails, texts, price comparisons and a final look at my visual wish list, I'm going to be ordering the ZR1 extreme spoiler from SS Vette. Don was able to answer some key questions and work with me, in terms of timing and finish. Win win all around for what is turning out to be a fall project of changing the rear spoiler on my car and adding a front splitter. Should be fun!
Old 06-03-2017, 08:23 AM
easyrider7467
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a supervettes spoiler. love it...

I got mine bc everyone has the std ones. Def get.... "where did you get that?" then I get how much? and their typical response. "oh, Wow !"

Exactly, thats why I did it. Because, a few will do it.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a Supervettes ZR6X Extreme Rear Spoiler?