C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking about buying a C6 as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:54 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I live in the DC metro area, and the automatic is great for daily driving. You'll be shifting non-stop with a manual if Orlando is anything like DC.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:27 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

I have daily driven a C5 Coupe Corvette for 3 years and then i daily drove my C5 Z06 for 3 years and now i plan to Daily drive my 2010 ZR1....Just do it if its what you desire.

Last edited by chassed; 05-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:58 PM
77Driver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chassed
I have daily driven a C5 Coupe Corvette for 3 years and then i daily drove my C5 Z06 for 3 years and now i plan to Daily drive my 2010 ZR1....Just do it if its what you desire.
I think my biggest concern is related to reliability. The last Chevy I purchased was a 97 blazer. It was great the first 5 years and had a lot of problems after that. I got rid of it in 07. I don't mind having it serviced just don't wan the constant issues. I will probably stick with a base automatic.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:41 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

109k miles since new...not a care in the world..
Change the oil, change the brakes and shocks at 50k, just did the front pads only at 107k miles...

A ac delco battery every 3 or 4 years..

I think I did one water pump around 100k and one alternator at around 85k miles but not positive on the mileage of alternator...I did bottom out leaving a trafpder joe parking lot real bad and I believe that slit the plastic radiator ...but that wasn't the cars fault....that was mine for going too quickly out of a parking lot with a really whacked angle between the parking lot and the road and the road having a huge pot hole...still the car was able to drive...I just had a sticky patch put on the radiator portion that cracked to get up to the dealer for radiator replacement..unbelievable...

I think I changed the wiper blades once or twice...I would never again replace that interior air filter as that was a nonsense dealer charge in my opinion.,,

I put an air raid reusable supposedly ram air intake on at 50k miles as there was a sale...in hindsight I wouldn't bother...

BMW short throw shifter at 30k miles a smart move, cow booster, cow tune, dSG d shaped supple leather steering wheel at around 40k miles..was a smart move....

I put a corvette forum vendors carpeted tray and trunk separator in around 30k miles I guess and that was a smart buy....it has two compartments to store little stuff and blocks the trunk noise a little from entering the cabin....

I have the trunk foam plastic drop down noise cancellation thing for the corvette vendor from Long Island who makes the BlockIt product and it was a good buy...as it cut a few decibels out of the cabin...

Of course I have the m2 w switch to keep the no exhaust open when I want....although these days for the most part I keep it at Oem operation levels...once in awhile I cruise with them open...I could be nuts but I believe I have better low end torque when I leave in stock Oem operating conditions...and then for a short time set the no exhaust once in awhile....besides open all the time gives a drone I don't need. My 21 year old autistic son doesn't appreciate the drone with m2w open so when he travels with me...its stock operation on npp..that he likes.".

I did loose one transparent roof on a four lane 50mph road when of course I forgot to lock it down...flew away like a kite....and landed with a shattering bang...no one got hurt , no cars behind me got hit....in fact I stopped my car, backed up on the shoulder and picked it up....I kept the latches and handles....try and remember always lock the roof on the car no,after what you think you might be in a rush to do.....(you don't always remember to do it when you return to the car...don't be lazy...learn from many of our own mistakes)

Tires every 20k miles seems about right...I usually did hankook egos but recently switched to Michelin non runflat pilots and they are awesome..19/20 inch summer wheels c7 z51 and winter wheels with snow tires are pirelli 18/19 grey Oem rims...

I had the hud put in at Carlisle for 600 dollars total when the guy put the d shaped steering wheel on...the huds cool but I wouldn't sweet not having in any car you like...it's pretty much a novelty and not a must have..in my opinion plus you can have it installed like I did...parts and labor for 600 ...it was no big deal for the experienced guy to do at the show in Carlisle...I think it was maybe an hour ...maybe two...for the steering wheel and the hud install...he drove in from Texas to do this work at Carlisle....nice guy...not sure if he is still doing the hud installs....as his attempt at the c7 install was documented here on the forum at time of release and it was too big a bitch...but the c6 install he had down pat...

Best car I ever owned...in 40 years of only buying new cars..

This car looks so good especially with the Michelin 19/20 s which by the way ride better than the 18/19 hankook setup..both summer setups,,,...I'll only buy michelins from now on they are that much better than the hankook s inride and noise..

Seriously the car looks so good...even at 109k miles...nobody can tell...

The car is black which is a pain..I wash and wax in driveway and got it down to 12 minutes flat...spray wax and dry after each wash...twice a year hit the car with Adams and orbital polisher..

I think I'm keeping this car for at least another few years....I love the car...although I did prefer my 500 hp z06 ...a little better but roof off motoring is awesome...I can never give that up....I'm a corvette guy forever...I love roof off motoring and I dig the targa better than convertibles

Never got stuck......car tears off 4 second flat to sixty, tops out at 190, and corners at 1.0 lateral g's....plus it gets 28 mpg on the highway not trying..and 15 mpg hot ******* around town...give or take a few mpg s...

Insurance is cheap too,,,800 a year this year...full collision fire and theft....and thats a great price in New Jersey....one of the highest insurance rate states in the country....

Claims on corvettes are low because most just use them on sunny sundays to the golf course

I use mine everyday....everyday I smile...best preowned sports car to buy in my mind...most owners treat their corvettes better than themselves...

I treat my car well, I proactively service the vehicle...I garage it every night...I use it ...and smile every time I start it up and drive off...

Everybody waves....girls compliment it...guys too,,.more so since I put the black c7 z51 19/20s on the car...

I picked those rims up for a grand brand new from a Chevy dealer....locally...hadabout 7 miles on them fro delivery and owner wanted aftermarket rims...found the dealer selling Oem rims 19/20 off Craigslist in CT...drive up and all four rims fit in the corvette without tires of course..

Called tire rack..got the pricing but a local tire store matched it...had them installed the next day...

Did I mention this has been a great car to own...

I'm not sure but after 40 years of buying new cars...this corvette has taught me...maybe buying preowned next time can save me a lot of dough for an amazing sports car...

Next up a c8 rear mid engine or a c7 z06 preowned....as I'm not dropping 100 grand on any car...maybe 65 for a 500 hp rear mid engine c8 but that's tops...

Car pricing is totally getting out of hand...and btw...I've always bought new and always paid in cash...puts the price of any car I real perspective....at least for me...I never think of monthly payments...but big picture total price keeps me more frugal...

I think 65 for a new 500 hp rear mid engine 2LT c8 z51 is about right...

Any more and it's foooorgetabouut it...preowned c7 z06 here I come...

Till then...I'll keep piling on the mileage in this purchased since new c6 z51 m6 that people still think is brand new....and the dam thing is black no less...

Next up torch red or white...no more black...exteriors....

I used to wash my cars every couple of weeks..wax them with zaino every season....

Black was so ridiculous when the zaino ran out...I went to eagle one spray Andy wax...lolwith seasonal orbital polishing with Adams products....

Black is a pain on the butt...not recommended to others as it needs to be washed weekly..

I also travel dirt roads on Saturday to take my handicapped kid horseback riding up in the mountains..... usually I do the twelve minute wash and wax when we get home....

10 years in service this nov....2008 ls3 z51 m6

Buy with confidence..

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-13-2017 at 06:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
89talon (05-16-2017), GRCTampa (05-14-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Nelson765
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Doesn't everyone daily drive their Corvettes? What is the point of owning one? Save the miles for a someone you don't even know? Life is too short to drive a boring car! I have been daily driving Corvettes for many years, my current 2008 convertible, slightly modified with the standard bolt ons, Z51, 6 speed manual. It is my only car (wife and daughter get their own). I cannot see me driving anything else. Its like having a hot wife/girlfriend and not enjoying their company . . . every day. If you are and can afford racing/tracking then you can afford two, one for the track and one for every day.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nelson765:
89talon (05-16-2017), JerriVette (05-14-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:26 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelson765
Doesn't everyone daily drive their Corvettes? What is the point of owning one? Save the miles for a someone you don't even know? Life is too short to drive a boring car! I have been daily driving Corvettes for many years, my current 2008 convertible, slightly modified with the standard bolt ons, Z51, 6 speed manual. It is my only car (wife and daughter get their own). I cannot see me driving anything else. Its like having a hot wife/girlfriend and not enjoying their company . . . every day. If you are and can afford racing/tracking then you can afford two, one for the track and one for every day.

I own 2 Grandsports - but instead of one for the track and one for every day -- I use the Black M6 Grandsport when I drive north and west and the Torch Red M6 Grandsport when I go south and east

Last edited by C6 Snowboarder; 05-13-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelson765
Drove mine on and off as a daily driver the last year I was in the military (160 mile round trip) and while working the job following my retirement from the Air Force. Now that I'm fully retired, I split my time between the Corvette and My Camaro SS: Use the SS primarily during the week and the Corvette on weekends and for the various long road trips we take

Last edited by Welker1; 05-13-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:48 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I DD my 2008 Z51 but I had to do a couple of things first.

1- Dump the run-craps and bought Michelin PS4S.

2- Installed Bilstein shocks.

3- Changed the stereo speakers for JL Audio.

4- Installed some sound deadening material to cut down on the noise.

I used to DD my 1998 Z28 for 336,000 miles. I agree life is too short enjoy what you have.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Snowboarder
I own 2 Grandsports - but instead of one for the track and one for every day -- I use the Black M6 Grandsport when I drive north and west and the Torch Red M6 Grandsport when I go south and east
Baller.
The following users liked this post:
C6 Snowboarder (05-13-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 11:54 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

I bought my first Vette an 01 z06 and it was my daily driver for years. Sold it at 165k miles. Guy I sold it to commutes 60 miles one way a day. Last I heard he had over 300k miles on it.

My 12 base coupe is now my daily driver. Have 60k miles on it. It's been in temps ranging from -6F to 119F in hail, rain, snow and it is as reliable as any other car. Only time I park it is in snow over a couple inches. I could care less about resale value and while I try and keep it nice it has chips and scratches. I plan to keep it another 5 years or so. Probably to 120k miles.

These cars are good dependable daily drivers in any climate that doesn't have massive snow.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:18 PM
blu_c6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a C3 as an occasional driver for a very long time and purchased a 2006 vert in 2015 as a summer daily driver and have never looked back. It is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned and did a 6k road trip last summer as was a blast. Go for it and don't look back, it will be the best move you ever made.

Originally Posted by 77Driver
I've always had a C3 for part time use but I was thinking it would be nice to dive a Vette every day. What are the down sides to putting 15,000 miles a yr on a 2010 or so?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:09 AM
cnw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2011 GS Vert is a daily driver. Hitting 50k at this point. Need new tires, but still rolling along.

Craig
Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by blu_c6
...purchased a 2006 vert in 2015 as a summer daily driver and have never looked back. It is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned and did a 6k road trip last summer as was a blast. ...
The C6 is surprisingly comfortable, especially when you consider the low weight and the handling performance that you get even from a bone stock one.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:44 PM
bklynfirst
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say drive it. I had a C4 LT4 vert for 6 years and put 4000 miles on it in that time. I babied that car and enjoyed it the little that I drove it. Sold it and the guy flew in, and drove it back to Texas. Broke my heart. Swore I wouldn't do that again and just purchased a C6 that I AM DRIVING and loving it. The C4 had 36000 on it when I sold it in 2012.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:10 PM
GRCTampa
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 96 Posts

I am a month into daily driving my 2011 C6 coupe. My only complaint is my commute is too short. Puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Great way to start and end each work day. I say drive it and enjoy it every day!
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (05-19-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 11:54 PM
Joe 2008 Z51
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had my 08 M6 Z51 for a little over a month, and I can say that it's my go to car when I am out running errands or don't need my truck. My Silverado has given me 160k trouble free miles, so I expect my Vette to be just as reliable if I give it the same attention that I give my truck.
I do keep the Vette cleaned and garaged when it's not on the road, but once it's out I am enjoying every trip to the store or out on the town. Daily driving is a great feeling behind the wheel of this car!
One downside I can say is that the lowered stance has to be considered in getting in and out of driveways or parking lots with angled entrances and exits. I've had to reconnect my lower air dam a couple times already due to the scraping. Otherwise this car is comfortable, fun to drive and it does get attention. I'm keeping this car for a long time, so I don't worry about the mileage. Driving over 100k on this car means miles of smiles!

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying a C6 as a daily driver