C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HUD Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:55 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Need HUD Fixed

My HUD has done the dreaded drop and so I need it fixed.

I just watched a video on this using the "duct cut" method and this is going to be way more than I am comfortable doing on my own.

Is there anyone in the DFW area that has had their HUD fixed and know were to take it?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:56 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

My 2006 is going in on Wednesday for a new HUD.
The one in the car has a stuck mirror.
$800+ installed.
I would never pay that myself but the dealer I bought the car from is going to foot the bill.
Just so you know,
G
Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gordosoar
My 2006 is going in on Wednesday for a new HUD.
The one in the car has a stuck mirror.
$800+ installed.
I would never pay that myself but the dealer I bought the car from is going to foot the bill.
Just so you know,
G
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I figured about $1,000

I just can't pay that for a 10 year old car I'm going to sell soon anyway.

Glad you got someone to foot the bill!
Old 05-02-2017, 01:32 AM
gordosoar
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JGarland
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I figured about $1,000

I just can't pay that for a 10 year old car I'm going to sell soon anyway.

Glad you got someone to foot the bill!
Yeah, they advertised it as having a HUD and after I brought it and realised it wasn't working, I called them on it and they said (in writing) that they would cover it. Got it from AutoNation. Good people.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:08 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

bump.

Any shop or person in Dallas area that can fix these?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:43 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,121 Likes on 695 Posts

Can you turn a screwdriver and a wrench? That is the skill level needed to swap a hud with cut-the-duct.

Guys that have done several of them can do the swap in 30 minutes....you should be able to do it in a day. Plus a sense of satisfaction.

1) Pull dash surround bezel by prying on both bottom corners (below right start button and left a/c vent) with a scratch-free tool. Once those areas pop out, you can work your fingers around, popping off the bezel. TIP: may have to lift top of dash slightly to remove and re-install this piece AND the instument cluster. Remove the dimmer, DIC, start and sensor plugs during removal.

2) With a 7mm nutdriver, remove the 4 cluster screws and the 1 left a/c vent retaining screw. Pull the cluster out, disconnecting the gray and black plugs.

3) Using a hacksaw that is an open blade on one end with a handle on the other, carefully cut the large duct on the right side. TIP: Don't just cut it wide enough to get the projector in - you need some room to get your hand in to tighten the right nut. You will want to cut it fairly close to the sensor that is screwed into the duct.

4) Once the duct is cut completely through, pull on it to yank it out which will break off the mounting tab on the left side.

5) Pull old and fit new projector into dash working it onto the 2 studs. I cut a notch in the left mounting ear so the projector can be dropped over the right stud and then swung over onto the left stud without having to lift it over the stud. Might try this if clearance is tight. To secue the back of the projector, get a J-nut or Speednut with screw and washer. A J-nut might slide over the leg of the projector but since there is a channel inside the leg you can just hold it in position while starting the screw. The rectangular speednut will not spin while tightening the screw (with a stubby screwdriver) because it is caught inside the channel of the leg. Install 2 6mm nylon locknuts with flatwashers on the studs. Hard to get to but can be done. TIP: use a 10mm ratcheting box end wrench since it is tight in there.

6) Reinstall a/c duct. I recommend aluminum HVAC tape over duct tape. TIP: first place a piece or two of tape on the top of the duct before inserting the cut-off section as it is hard to work tape around the top after installing it. Make sure tape is worked all the way around. Reinstall screw at left vent.

7) Reinstall gauge cluster. Reconnect all the plugs into the surround. TIP: Before installing surround by snapping back in at all spring clips, do a test of the HUD by starting the car and seeing if all functions work.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Can you turn a screwdriver and a wrench? That is the skill level needed to swap a hud with cut-the-duct.

Guys that have done several of them can do the swap in 30 minutes....you should be able to do it in a day. Plus a sense of satisfaction.

1) Pull dash surround bezel by prying on both bottom corners (below right start button and left a/c vent) with a scratch-free tool. Once those areas pop out, you can work your fingers around, popping off the bezel. TIP: may have to lift top of dash slightly to remove and re-install this piece AND the instument cluster. Remove the dimmer, DIC, start and sensor plugs during removal.

2) With a 7mm nutdriver, remove the 4 cluster screws and the 1 left a/c vent retaining screw. Pull the cluster out, disconnecting the gray and black plugs.

3) Using a hacksaw that is an open blade on one end with a handle on the other, carefully cut the large duct on the right side. TIP: Don't just cut it wide enough to get the projector in - you need some room to get your hand in to tighten the right nut. You will want to cut it fairly close to the sensor that is screwed into the duct.

4) Once the duct is cut completely through, pull on it to yank it out which will break off the mounting tab on the left side.

5) Pull old and fit new projector into dash working it onto the 2 studs. I cut a notch in the left mounting ear so the projector can be dropped over the right stud and then swung over onto the left stud without having to lift it over the stud. Might try this if clearance is tight. To secue the back of the projector, get a J-nut or Speednut with screw and washer. A J-nut might slide over the leg of the projector but since there is a channel inside the leg you can just hold it in position while starting the screw. The rectangular speednut will not spin while tightening the screw (with a stubby screwdriver) because it is caught inside the channel of the leg. Install 2 6mm nylon locknuts with flatwashers on the studs. Hard to get to but can be done. TIP: use a 10mm ratcheting box end wrench since it is tight in there.

6) Reinstall a/c duct. I recommend aluminum HVAC tape over duct tape. TIP: first place a piece or two of tape on the top of the duct before inserting the cut-off section as it is hard to work tape around the top after installing it. Make sure tape is worked all the way around. Reinstall screw at left vent.

7) Reinstall gauge cluster. Reconnect all the plugs into the surround. TIP: Before installing surround by snapping back in at all spring clips, do a test of the HUD by starting the car and seeing if all functions work.
Sure can. And I've watched numerous videos on it.

I'd rather pay someone for 30 minutes of time to do it right rather than spend untold hours cussing and ending up messing something up.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by JGarland
bump.

Any shop or person in Dallas area that can fix these?
21st Century Muscle Cars in Addison should be able to take care of you. They do nothing but top notch work.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
21st Century Muscle Cars in Addison should be able to take care of you. They do nothing but top notch work.
Ok thanks.

I am actually headed there on Saturday for a different issue.

I will ask them about fixing the HUD.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:56 AM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2006 vert didn't come with a HUD. I installed one from Cultrag and it took all day. I did the remove dash method not the cut. One question I had an 2002 C5 and the HUD displayed all of the gauges including the gas gauge. The one I installed on my 06 C6 shows water temp, oil temp and oil pressure, no gas gauge. Is this how the OEM version is?
Old 05-13-2017, 11:53 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jumper11
My 2006 vert didn't come with a HUD. I installed one from Cultrag and it took all day. I did the remove dash method not the cut. One question I had an 2002 C5 and the HUD displayed all of the gauges including the gas gauge. The one I installed on my 06 C6 shows water temp, oil temp and oil pressure, no gas gauge. Is this how the OEM version is?
Yep. No fuel gauge.
The following users liked this post:
Jumper11 (05-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Need HUD Fixed

Quick Reply: Need HUD Fixed