C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default More problems...

Just picked up my car from having the following done
Car is a 06 automatic.

Harmonic balancer (ATI & ARP bolt)
Tie rods
High pressure power steering fluid line

Nice day out so I go for a drive, At first car was driving fine and then About 15min in I notice something wierd.
As I accelerate the oil pressure increases and there is also a whinning sound. Go up to the next gear and the oil pressure drops and the whine also stops. The whine starts ~2k rpm and the higher the rpm the louder it gets...

At idle the cars oil is reading ~28 and as I accelarate it keeps rising. I didn't want to push the car so I didn't go above 3-4krpm but the oil got as high as 55psi and I just figured it would keep going and wasn't sure what was going on.

It wasn't doing it before the install so I'm not sure if it has to do with that or something else just decided to go wrong because that just seems to be my luck right now.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Given what you had done at the same time, I think it is just coincidental that you're hearing a whine and monitoring oil pressure which, by your account is normal. I would look at two more likely causes of the whine. There is air in the PS lines they didn't bleed out, or there is a misalignment in the serpentine belt travel or a possible bad bearing somewhere in the belt travel. If they didn't get the HB seated, that could cause a whine that changes with RPM. Or, any of the bearings along the belt path.

First, and easiest thing to do is look at the PS fluid level. Make sure it is up to where it should be (hot/cold). Then, with the CAP OFF engine running, idling, turn the steering wheel slowly LOCK to LOCK, back and forth three or four times. Recheck the fluid level. That should at least eliminate the PS.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 04-26-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 PM
Pro

Here's a video, not sure how great the audio quality is or if it'll help but figure it can't hurt.

Last edited by 703; 04-26-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 PM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Your oil pressure looks great - - your readings are just about what I get with my 2007 C6. Start with the power steering as BlindSpot says - - I bet that might do the trick.

Steve
Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Oil pressure looks fine; not sure about the noise. Noticed your CEL is lit.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
Oil pressure looks fine; not sure about the noise. Noticed your CEL is lit.
check engine light is p0121 Throttle/accelerator position sensor. Cleaned the throttle body and it's still on/off so I'll probably need a new throttle body in the future. Not sure if that would have anything to do with the whine.

Thanks for the input about the oil pressure,From the responses it seems like it's normal for it to rise/lower with rpms. I honestly never watched it that closely until I heard the whine and was unsure if they were connected. 

Update: Checked the PS fluid / followed directions of blindspot and everything seemed normal. At this point I'm just going to take it back to the shop.

Last edited by 703; 04-27-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
check engine light is p0121 Throttle/accelerator position sensor. Cleaned the throttle body and it's still on/off so I'll probably need a new throttle body in the future. Not sure if that would have anything to do with the whine.
What if whine's an air leak?
TB wasn't reattached securely?
Might explain a CEL.

G/L & let us know what shop finds, or doesn't.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:58 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

if your'e power steering is good then I would look at belt alignment next. They may have not pressed the harmonic balancer far enough on to the crank snout or maybe one of your idler pulley bearings or one of the belt accessories is going bad? Was new belts replaced at the same time? Time to find a way to isolate the problem. Stethoscope may help. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:45 AM
Pro

***Update***

Got the car back on Monday (with a new throttle body) and the same whirling noise is there. I asked the mechanics if they looked into it and they said they think it's just the ATI balancer thats making the noise.

For some reason I have a hard time believing this... Anyone here have an ATI balancer installed and can confirm or deny this?

Last edited by 703; 05-10-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:33 AM
jkirk1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
***Update***

Got the car back on Monday (with a new throttle body) and the same whirling noise is there. I asked the mechanics if they looked into it and they said they think it's just the ATI balancer thats making the noise.

For some reason I have a hard time believing this... Anyone here have an ATI balancer installed and can confirm or deny this?

I had an ATI installed on mine and absolutely no noise.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:42 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
***Update***

yes I have an ATI hb and they do not make any noise when installed properly.with car not running and wheels in the air with power steering cap removed turn steering wheel lightly 10 times lock to lock.check fluid level after and take car for test drive and monitor for next few days
Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
yes I have an ATI hb and they do not make any noise when installed properly.with car not running and wheels in the air with power steering cap removed turn steering wheel lightly 10 times lock to lock.check fluid level after and take car for test drive and monitor for next few days
Yeah, I too cannot let go of the PS as the source. If they reassembled and accidentally started the motor without PS fluid, it could have permanently damaged the pump. Second, air in the steering rack could be the source. Third is the belt. If the belt had worn unevenly because of the old balancer, then reinstalled, or reinstalled reversed in direction.

If it is the old belt, I'd replace that and make sure the rack is bled. After ALL of those steps, next I'd be looking at the balancer install. Is the balancer seated correctly, and, silly as it sounds, the correct balancer.

And, already mentioned - bad brearing somewhere in the driven path of the belt. The idler and tensioner pulleys I've examined on many cars are notoriously under lubricated in manufacturing.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Pro

Looks likes it's going to go back to the shop then... Honestly I'm just so over it. Cars been there for 3 weeks and still not running right and costing a arm and a leg.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:09 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Sounds like its time to find a new shop if they can't diagnose the issue. Throwing parts at it until this issue is found is not the way to go.

HB is a common problem and considering the car is at least 11 years old...a tie rod is no issue either. I would suspect it has something to do with the replacement of the PS line? All cars have some issues and things will need replaced. You have an '06 with XXX, how many miles? Don't get frustrated, you will get the issue resolved. Search for a new shop that will find the issue before replacing parts. It might cost a few $$$ more to troubleshoot but that's better than spending $$$ for parts and then finding out it doesn't resolve the problem.

Go to the Northeast region and ask for recommendations for a good shop in your area...maybe someone local to you can help you find a good place to get it looked at?

Last edited by MH663; 05-10-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Pro

Car has ~75k miles on it
The shop is a well known performance shop, and highly recommend but idk if I want to take it back. especially since they said it was due to the balancer making the noise but from the response here that's a ton of b.s.
My guess is something with the power steering line that was replaced. Before I took it in the first time it wasn't making the noise that it is now. It started after the harmonic & power steering line were replaced. All together they replaced tie rods/harmonic balancer/high pressure power steering line and throttle body.

I still have to get the car inspected so I might have my regular mechanic look at it and see if he can diagnose the issue. My question is if he finds out it's due to the power steering line install can I go back to the performance shop and get some type of reimbursement??

Last edited by 703; 05-10-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:54 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I had my balancer replaced a year ago with an ATI and no noises or whining ever, did they replace the timing cover seal also, they should have.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,363 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 703
... and throttle body...
Throttle body, you say? With the engine running have you sprayed starting fluid around the TB to check for leaks?

Get notified of new replies

To More problems...

Old 05-10-2017, 10:32 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

My question is if he finds out it's due to the power steering line install can I go back to the performance shop and get some type of reimbursement??[/QUOTE]

I would take it back and have them fix it at their cost. If they are a reputable shop they should have no issue fixing.

You could take the serpentine belt off and see what happens. Might and might not help since you had two parts replaced that uses the belt. It would have helped with the TB thou. I suspect that when you remove belt the whining will stop and therefore it could not have been your TB. Not that I would have ever thought it was the issue to begin with.

If the whining stops, it has to be something that utilizes the serpentine belt and therefore more than likely one of the two parts recently replaced?

Last edited by MH663; 05-10-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:38 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Throttle body, you say? With the engine running have you sprayed starting fluid around the TB to check for leaks?
If the TB was leaking...wouldn't the car idle and run rough? Agree that spraying ether around the TB would find a leak.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Car has ~75k miles on it
The shop is a well known performance shop, and highly recommend but idk if I want to take it back. especially since they said it was due to the balancer making the noise but from the response here that's a ton of b.s.
My guess is something with the power steering line that was replaced. Before I took it in the first time it wasn't making the noise that it is now. It started after the harmonic & power steering line were replaced. All together they replaced tie rods/harmonic balancer/high pressure power steering line and throttle body.

I still have to get the car inspected so I might have my regular mechanic look at it and see if he can diagnose the issue. My question is if he finds out it's due to the power steering line install can I go back to the performance shop and get some type of reimbursement??
Those funky problems can be frustrating. Here is an easy procedure: pop the serpentine belt off and see what makes noise.

Quick Reply: More problems...