C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cont. Extreme contact dws

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Eric06c6
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cont. Extreme contact dws

Just ordered a set of continental extreme contacts for my 06 base to be installed sat. Morn. $922.00 mounted,balanced including tax.
Anyone else have good experience with these tires ?
The following users liked this post:
Brandon619 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:05 PM
JEH03Vette
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Had a set of those on my 03. Great tire IMO. Non runflats so you need to take that into account.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Eric06c6
Intermediate

Already have a plug kit and small air comp. in the car just in case.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Flash_Gordon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I used to buy those for my '02 Mustang back when I had it. I loved those tires. Very good cost/performance ratio.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:21 PM
tomray
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

$922.00............?............Wow those Base tires are good buy!

I had Continental Extreme Contact DW's installed on my 2010 GS coupe last summer, but mine were about $1500 OTD, with a 4 wheel alignment......

I'm real pleased with the way my GS handles,NO more road /tire noise , and now the car goes straight down the road with no crabbing with the pavement.

I think the DWS is a new design all season tire ?............or is it a Summer tire?? .....I'm not sure, but I think you will like them...............

For what its worth, ...............I researched most available tires for my GS, and three dealers refused to mount Michelins, stating they were not as good a tire as the Continentals, Bridgestones or Hankooks, and I'd be paying more money for the "Name".........A little more research and I chose the Continentals.........

Time will tell if they are correct, and the guys running Michelins have NO complaints........so, do your research and make your choices........

All I can tell you is, I don't track my GS, but I like these tires...........

Tom

Last edited by tomray; 04-06-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I have them on my car. Just returned home after being on the track at the museum. They handled great and not very much noise from them during some hard cornering.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric06c6
Just ordered a set of continental extreme contacts for my 06 base to be installed sat. Morn. $922.00 mounted,balanced including tax.
I love mine, had them for about a year and a half.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:26 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

The DWS was all-season, the DW was non-snow tire.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:45 PM
W52
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric06c6

I put a set of these (DWS06) on about a year ago and have been very pleased with them. They are very quiet, have a great ride and the handling is excellent. They give exceptional grip in the cold weather, which I like!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I loved mine that I had on my Mustang...great tire and pricing. Only thing I found with mine was that they seemed to flat spot a bit when I left the car for a week or more....but would round out quickly once warmed up on a drive...very minor.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:46 AM
Mortsciguy
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

There seems to be a fair amount of confusion about the Continental Extreme Contact tires available. The DW is the summer tire. Had them on a 95 C4. Loved them. The DWS was the all season offering (never ran them, but luke warm reviews), and the DWS-06, the newer all season offering.I have a set on my 08 Z51, and love them. Not a ton of money, very quiet, stick very well, and have a very high treadwear rating. I consider the DW and the DWS-06 very good values for non track use. The DWS-06 is much better in below 40 f temps ( which extends my safe driving season in Michigan) than the summer tires (DW).
Old 04-08-2017, 01:26 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Put a set of DWS 06 on last fall and then parked the car. Went to Discount Tire as they always take good care. Took a 3000 mile trip last month. Ride was softer than the RF's, noise harder to tell with a Vert but good and mostly from the top I think. Handling was good and no problem straight down the highway. I got A/S because of the cooler weather in the PNW. I also like the higher rubber edge around the rim for protection.

A/S might not be as good as summer tires in the year round warmer weather. Not concerned with the snow traction, wouldn't help much in deeper snow or icy weather up here but they are supposed to ride much better, especially in less than 40 degree temps.

Tire Rack -
The ExtremeContact DWS 06 (DWS for Dry, Wet & Snow) is Continental's Ultra High Performance All-Season radial(rated 186mph) developed for drivers of sports cars, sports coupes, performance sedans and sport trucks. Designed to satisfy year-round driving needs, ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires blend dry and wet road performance with wintertime slush and snow traction.

ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires feature Continental's SportPlus Technology, which combines enhanced handling, wet traction and wear. An advanced silica-enhanced all-season tread compound featuring +Silane additives increase wet grip and extend treadlife. This compound is molded into a unique asymmetrical tread design featuring Continental's Chamfered Edges that help deliver maximum tread contact in dry conditions while Traction Grooves (ridges in the bottom of the tread grooves) enhance three-dimensional snow traction. Outboard shoulder macro blocks enhance responsiveness and cornering stability. Central independent blocks with X-sipes, separated by high-angle, crisscross grooves provide the biting edges necessary to promote all-direction traction on wet roads and in light snow. Independent inboard shoulder blocks help disperse water to further hydroplaning resistance and foul-weather traction.

ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires feature QuickView indicators to help identify vehicle misalignment concerns early in the tire's life before wear patterns form, as well as confirm suitability for different driving condition through Tuned Performance Indicators. Tuned Performance Indicators are visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has appropriate tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.

Tread life Warranty: Note for rears because of staggered sizes on Vette

6 Years / 50,000 Miles (1) Half mileage for rear if different size than front

Uniformity Warranty: 1 Year / first 2/32" of wear (1)

(1) Repair voids warranty (2) Whichever comes 1st,purchase 4 exchange for another set of Conti.
Manufacturer's Road Hazard Warranty:1 Year / first 2/32" of wear (1)

DWS 06 tread

Last edited by NOWUCME; 04-08-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:08 AM
Eric06c6
Intermediate

Have less than 100 miles on the new contintenals but very pleased so far.Much better ride,less noise than the kuhmos that were replaced.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Drocay
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had these tires on my last 3 cars, best bang for the buck.

Get notified of new replies

To Cont. Extreme contact dws

Quick Reply: Cont. Extreme contact dws