C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette dash and bumper lettering

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 03:43 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Here's the "How to paint" thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Old 04-15-2017, 07:56 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

The same bumper letters that I have had for a couple of years. No problem with them
Old 04-15-2017, 10:12 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'm too busy/lazy to put letters on my dash, but-

For those who are worried about the letters injuring someone during an airbag deployment, you can look in bright sunlight and see the faint scribe lines on the passenger dash where the bag is designed to break through. They look like a very wide/faint "H". The bag area is well above where the letters go.

A few years ago, a fellow who worked on the C6 dash design confirmed here that letters pose no danger.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
I've never like the lettering inlays on the dash or bumper. Heck anyone with half a brain knows its a Corvette. A license plate frame is enough in my opinion. If the color matched frames weren't so expensive I'd ditch my chrome"Corvette" frame too. The more subtle the better IMO
Frames? I don't need no stinkin frames.
Oh wait... that was "badges", but it applies to frames too.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:39 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
I've never like the lettering inlays on the dash or bumper. Heck anyone with half a brain knows its a Corvette. A license plate frame is enough in my opinion. If the color matched frames weren't so expensive I'd ditch my chrome"Corvette" frame too. The more subtle the better IMO
Yeah. They know it's a corvette. But I don't like the name indented in the bumper. Looks like there should be something there. So I filled the gaps with a "black onyx" insert. License plate frame?? Haha. No. I'd much rather have inserts for the molded part than add a tag frame that says it again. Kind of like people with the windshield banner that says CORVETTE. A color matched frame would be the only one I'd consider. But yeah, NOT paying $80+ for that. haha
Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

OK, so I ordered a second set of the polished stainless lettering that stuck like original equipment emblems to my rear bumper and they arrived today. My major gripe with the vinyl letters is that they didn't seem to want to adhere to the dash. Well, the stainless lettering won't adhere to the dash either. They keep falling off. So now I'm back to where I started but I own two sets of vinyl lettering and one set of stainless. I cleaned the dash impression with a Q-tip and alcohol, but there must be something on the dash from the PO that prevents anything sticking to it. Aren't there adhesion promoters that can be purchased to make this whole thing work? Does anyone have any information on adhesion promoters and sources of that product?

Last edited by RagTop69; 04-20-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,258 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
OK, so I ordered a second set of the polished stainless lettering that stuck like original equipment emblems to my rear bumper and they arrived today. My major gripe with the vinyl letters is that they didn't seem to want to adhere to the dash. Well, the stainless lettering won't adhere to the dash either. They keep falling off. So now I'm back to where I started but I own two sets of vinyl lettering and one set of stainless. I cleaned the dash impression with a Q-tip and alcohol, but there must be something on the dash from the PO that prevents anything sticking to it. Aren't there adhesion promoters that can be purchased to make this whole thing work? Does anyone have any information on adhesion promoters and sources of that product?
google it , i know its out there and i think that using it is the main reason my letters stuck on my bumper so well ...

My promotor came with my letters

Dave
Old 04-20-2017, 06:38 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used these domed dash letters in blue on my LeMans Blue C6. They look fantastic compared to the flat vinyl and I have had no problems with them sticking.
https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2284

Last edited by richhoff; 04-20-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Yeah. The ones I got, bumper and dash, came with 3M adhesion promoter packets. Going strong two years and countless washes later.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
Yeah. The ones I got, bumper and dash, came with 3M adhesion promoter packets. Going strong two years and countless washes later.
I went to a local auto paint store and bought two of those 3M adhesion promoter packets and it worked like a charm. Even though I had tried to stick the stainless lettering on yesterday, so it was off of the red plastic carrier and had fallen on the carpet a few times, I swabbed the depressed "CORVETTE" with the promoter and the stainless lettering grabbed like they did on my rear bumper. That stuff works as advertised. I'm happy!

Last edited by RagTop69; 04-21-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette dash and bumper lettering