C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 gauges stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 06:28 PM
mchaggis
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '05 gauges stopped working

Hi folks, bought a used c6 last May, 100k miles, battery died last week, that's solved, today all analog gauges in cluster stopped working. HUD works, digital info works, everything else seems to work but no gauges. I've seen posts on other sites but no responses to them (other sites). Any ideas, I haven't pulled out the instrument fuse box yet, passenger side. Looks like fuse for gauges and HUD are the same. Thanks guys, Chuck
Old 03-30-2017, 07:11 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,121 Likes on 695 Posts

Not much in the shop manual. CLSTR/HUD 15a fuse to BCM. Sounds like yours is probably good.

Only thing I see in the manual is a IPC test:

Circuit/System Testing
Ignition ON, with the scan tool, perform the IPC Gage Sweep Test in the IPC Output Controls. Verify that all gage dials move from minimum to the gage maximum value and back to the gage minimum value.

⇒ If all the gages do not perform the IPC Gage Sweep Test, replace the IPC.
The following users liked this post:
mchaggis (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:13 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Hopefully it's just an electrical gremlin. You could try just disconnecting the battery for 10 mins or so.

OR you could try a global reset: "GM global reset", GM techs do it all the time.
Disconnect BOTH battery cables from the battery, touch them together for 20 seconds or so, wait five minutes and reconnect to the battery , positive first and then the negative. You will lose all presets but it might be worth it.
mchaggis (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:22 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Post #23 this guy did something interesting:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...es-dead-2.html

2005 Chevy everything had gauge cluster problems.

Edit* Don't chop your cluster up, I forgot to mention.. Just grab the plug to the ECU and make sure it's in nice and tight.

Last edited by ForceFedC4; 03-30-2017 at 07:24 PM.
mchaggis (03-30-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 01:14 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

GM gauge cluster are known to fail. They short out in the back. Apparently the material they solder with causes a dust of the circuit board that shorts out. Try wiping off the board first. If that doesn't work you may have a hairline crack somewhere on the runs on the board. There are companies that refurbish and resell the gauge clusters for a core exchange.
mchaggis (03-31-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 02:51 PM
mchaggis
Cruising

Thanks Rick, Tried that disconnect today and it worked perfectly, saved me a lot of worry regarding replacement etc. Thanks again, Chuck
Landru (06-06-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mchaggis
Thanks Rick, Tried that disconnect today and it worked perfectly, saved me a lot of worry regarding replacement etc. Thanks again, Chuck
Not sure how this works If i`m in the right spot My 2005 corvette same problem no gauges no lights everything dead turn signals on car work but nothing on the cluster shows there working ...Could you tell me exactly what wire you moved and connected to what and where it is located thank you
Old 06-06-2017, 03:55 PM
mchaggis
Cruising

Default This worked for me

Originally Posted by 72454
Not sure how this works If i`m in the right spot My 2005 corvette same problem no gauges no lights everything dead turn signals on car work but nothing on the cluster shows there working ...Could you tell me exactly what wire you moved and connected to what and where it is located thank you
Hello, I pulled both battery cables and left them off for half an hour, after reattaching them I started the car and the gauges started working again. When you do this you will have to reset the windows and your seat and steering wheel settings and clock, radio presets should be OK, Now mine has done this a number of times since and I just keep resetting. I suspect that I have a battery that's not up to snuff, apparently C6's are particular about their battery. Good Luck, Chuck
72454 (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mchaggis
Hello, I pulled both battery cables and left them off for half an hour, after reattaching them I started the car and the gauges started working again. When you do this you will have to reset the windows and your seat and steering wheel settings and clock, radio presets should be OK, Now mine has done this a number of times since and I just keep resetting. I suspect that I have a battery that's not up to snuff, apparently C6's are particular about their battery. Good Luck, Chuck
Thanks I will give this a try on weekend ,this has been driving me crazy this is a Arizona car living up in Canada again thanks for your help ..

Get notified of new replies

To '05 gauges stopped working

Quick Reply: '05 gauges stopped working