C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car steers itself even with AH disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car steers itself even with AH disconnected

After an engine replacement, which involves separating the body from the chassis, my 06 Z06 will jerk to the left and right. This happens every 20 min or so. The car also "tracks" the road, small but noticeable, when there is no uneven pavement. At highway speeds this is very unnerving . I imagine at track speeds, this will cost control.

The active handling (AH) is turned off via unplugging the steering sensor, which has worked well for years. I checked the suspension, steering rack wheels and brakes. Everything is tight. I have no idea what could cause this. It may be something else unrelated.

There is some occasional banging in the passenger rear wheel area, but on my lift I cannot see anything loose, sway bars and so forth. Any ideas?

Please keep in mind this thread is about keeping the AH disconnected for the track.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:37 PM
kelp
Drifting

In the back, the muffler is very close to the sway bar, that may give the bang sound.

After the repair I noticed the steering wheel was angled just slightly to the right, but the steering is very tight. I imagine the steering has to be detached somewhere for this job but if something was loose it should feel like it.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:33 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

toe changes in the suspension can cause severe tramlining issues. A good alignment might be required?
Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Disconnecting the steering sensor will not disable active handling. It will make the computer think there is something drastically wrong but the computer will still try to do its best to do what it thinks you are asking it to do. By disconnecting the steering position sensor you may just be introducing noise into the system especially if you have added resistors to keep the computer happy and there is a loose connection. Why not just hold the button to turn off AH and traction control on the track?
The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:33 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 1k3y
toe changes in the suspension can cause severe tramlining issues. A good alignment might be required?
I'm thinking they didn't mark some threads when they took things apart, i had mine aligned with no issues...

Last edited by psp6158; 03-23-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Disconnecting the steering sensor will not disable active handling. It will make the computer think there is something drastically wrong but the computer will still try to do its best to do what it thinks you are asking it to do. By disconnecting the steering position sensor you may just be introducing noise into the system especially if you have added resistors to keep the computer happy and there is a loose connection. Why not just hold the button to turn off AH and traction control on the track?

For track days I keep them both turned on. They won't activate if the slip angles are kept equal at all 4 corners and will help you recover if you screw up.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix

For track days I keep them both turned on. They won't activate if the slip angles are kept equal at all 4 corners and will help you recover if you screw up.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:48 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I assume you have taken it back to the folks that did the work???? What did they say?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Disconnecting the steering position sensor is not the way to disable active handling.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:50 AM
ocboy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1k3y
If your vehicle wanders all over the road, then it's most likely an alignment issue.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:04 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Disconnecting the steering position sensor is not the way to disable active handling.
Track guys disconnect the steering wheel sensor (which _does_ disable AH) to prevent automatic AH reactivation in the event of TPMS malfunction.

You can read all about it here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-defeated.html
Old 03-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes, disconnecting the SWPS is the simple way to disable AH.

Did you get an alignment after the engine replacement? What were the specs? It sounds like something is funny with the alignment or inner/outer tie rod ends.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:47 AM
IansInGarage
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you/shop lowered either subframe you have to get a new alignment. Do this and report back.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 PM
WulfLS3
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say the car will jerk left or right, does the steering wheel jerk or the entire car move around? Alignment issues will cause problems all of the time, not at 20min intervals. If the steering jerks, check the hoses for damage/kinks and steering pump operation. The steering rack internal valves may be failing. If the entire car moves around, even though the bolts seem tight, chassis or suspension arm bolt holes may be elongated or mounting points may be damaged. Are the suspension bushings and ball joints ok?

Last edited by WulfLS3; 03-25-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
Track guys disconnect the steering wheel sensor (which _does_ disable AH) to prevent automatic AH reactivation in the event of TPMS malfunction.

You can read all about it here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-defeated.html
Studied this a bit and have to call , I'm on thin ice here with several track guys saying it works but I see nothing in the manuals that would support all the claims that this fixes an issue with TPMS failure which is why they are doing it, not to just disable AH which can be done with the button. The linked thread is about pulling the sensor so that after pushing the button to disable AH, it doesn't come back on if the TPMS system fails. Yes, they say it disables AH from the start which it may or may not do in the case of the OP of this thread. Pushing the button with the sensor connected will disable it in the OPs situation.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:06 AM
kelp
Drifting

The verdict is in. Discussions with the mechanic reveal he had a hard time realigning the splines (I am not sure where this exactly is or I would fix it myself) when he reassembled the steering. It appears thus that it slips one cog and that is responsible.

Electronics can be so distracting - frequently blamed and in fact usually at fault.

Thanks to all!
Old 04-01-2017, 06:09 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by kelp
The verdict is in. Discussions with the mechanic reveal he had a hard time realigning the splines (I am not sure where this exactly is or I would fix it myself) when he reassembled the steering. It appears thus that it slips one cog and that is responsible.

Electronics can be so distracting - frequently blamed and in fact usually at fault.

Thanks to all!
if the steering angle sensor is off enough for the computer to trip the brakes, you should trip the brakes a few times before the computer sees its a "faulty sensor" via yaw sensor input... and locks out the SAS.

At least thats how it was when my SAS was broken. Its possible that the angle difference is so small that the computer is being confused... but with the SAS off, it should not be doing the jumping thing.

I still highly suspect that your alignment is off.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:45 AM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kelp
After an engine replacement, which involves separating the body from the chassis, my 06 Z06 will jerk to the left and right. This happens every 20 min or so. The car also "tracks" the road, small but noticeable, when there is no uneven pavement. At highway speeds this is very unnerving . I imagine at track speeds, this will cost control.

The active handling (AH) is turned off via unplugging the steering sensor, which has worked well for years. I checked the suspension, steering rack wheels and brakes. Everything is tight. I have no idea what could cause this. It may be something else unrelated.

There is some occasional banging in the passenger rear wheel area, but on my lift I cannot see anything loose, sway bars and so forth. Any ideas?

Please keep in mind this thread is about keeping the AH disconnected for the track.

I experienced "auto-steering" as well. I was under the GM Certified Warranty (bought my Vette used GM Certified). I received ABS service messages. Also, traction control messages I think. It was very annoying. Eventually, the main culprit was the steering angle sensor (defective). Maybe they also replaced a control unit. But for sure, they had to replace the steering angle sensor. That issue is long gone.

Get notified of new replies

To Car steers itself even with AH disconnected

Quick Reply: Car steers itself even with AH disconnected