C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 09 radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:06 PM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C6 09 radio upgrade

Could use a little help deciding about upgrading my LT3 Convertible radio from one of the confusing list of radios listed on Double D. I will be calling Dennis and talking to him when the time is right.

Here are the parameters:
1. I have a great Corvette mechanic who will do the install. He has some radio installation experience, but not on the 2009. I can't do that kind of work anymore. At 80 bending over double does not work.
2. I list my age to say I am technology average. I don't use all the super features some of these radios list.
3. I want to upgrade the nav. My GM Corvette Nav to my mind is stupid, hard to use and does not understand seniors.
4. I have XM and like it.
5. I want to keep the steering wheel controls to phone and change channels.
6. I have an I phone and IOS9+. Carplay maybe????
7. I like the idea of a back up camera. Is this a difficult install. Where does it mount? How does it know when to turn on, ie does it require micro switches on the transmission, elsewhere?
8. Do they require a new microphone or use the crappy one in the car?
9. What does GMOSO mean?
10. Plan to use the installed Bose speakers.

Any experience on Jensen, Sony, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer that could help me?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2017, 12:39 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I installed the Pioneer 8200nex. It's a great radio with built in navigation, Apple Carplay and capacitive touch screen. If you want your new radio to have built in navigation you typically have to go with one of the higher end models. I prefer the Pioneers, you could consider Kenwood also. Those are the 2 brands I would say are most popular and the ones I would recommend the most.

-You would need to get a wiring harness (pac audio rp5-gm11) and that would come with an adapter to retain you steering wheel controls. The audio buttons on the right side are already pre-programmed in but you would need to customize the phone answer and disconnect buttons on the left side of your steering wheel.
-You also would need to buy a SiriusXm tuner (sxv300) to attach to the new radio to keep XM. Also you would want the 10ft antenna cable extension to re-use your existing XM antenna.
-The back up camera is real easy to install and comes on automatically when you put it in reverse with the wiring harness. I mounted it above the license plate using one of the screws from the license plate light. I didn't drill any holes in the car.
-You will need to use and mount the new microphone that comes with radio.
-The Pac Audio wiring harness (rp5-gm11) is made to work with your GM Bose speakers. As long as its hooked up correctly, not a problem.
-Do not buy the GMOS 04 harness. You will have problems with the install.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:49 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Here is a recent thread discussing a new stereo head unit. You can see some pictures of my Pioneer and others in there also. Also if you purchase from Dennis, call him rather than ordering it from his website. He has said that he can give you better prices over the phone than he can list on his cite.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html
Old 03-04-2017, 12:53 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Old 03-04-2017, 12:55 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by oldtee
Could use a little help deciding about upgrading my LT3 Convertible radio from one of the confusing list of radios listed on Double D. I will be calling Dennis and talking to him when the time is right.

Here are the parameters:
1. I have a great Corvette mechanic who will do the install. He has some radio installation experience, but not on the 2009. I can't do that kind of work anymore. At 80 bending over double does not work.

Its super easy
Just follow this guide
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html

2. I list my age to say I am technology average. I don't use all the super features some of these radios list.
3. I want to upgrade the nav. My GM Corvette Nav to my mind is stupid, hard to use and does not understand seniors.
I like KEnwood best as they are exclusive to Garmin for NAV and its easiest to use as well
4. I have XM and like it.
We can retain the stock antennas in the car alng with adding the xsv300 tuner to any radio
5. I want to keep the steering wheel controls to phone and change channels.
not a problem the rp5gm11 I would include in your prewired harness would allow for this
6. I have an I phone and IOS9+. Carplay maybe????
ALL Kenwood NAV units have Carplay as well as built in NAV. If you do Not want the Garmin build in NAV then yes you can use NAV via Carplay as another option
7. I like the idea of a back up camera. I included one with every radioIs this a difficult install.not really just routing wires from front of the car to the back Where does it mount? see install link above as I show a pic of one installed How does it know when to turn on, ie does it require micro switches on the transmission, elsewhere?there is a purple reverse wire coming from back of the radio that will connect to the rp5gm11 purple wire which is the trigger source to tell the radio to switch camera on when car goes into reverse
8. Do they require a new microphone or use the crappy one in the car?yes you will use the one that comes with the radio
9. What does GMOSO mean?no worries as your not going to use it
10. Plan to use the installed Bose speakers.You will notice a much improved sound with the stock speakers

Any experience on Jensen, Sony, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer that could help me?

Thanks
As always I am a phone call always to help

Dennis
Old 03-04-2017, 01:14 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine came with a JVC KW-V21BT installed by the previous owner. It doesn't have NAV or carplay, which is just fine with me. Bluetooth handsfree and streaming for music (I use Spotify) and NAV commands from my iPhone (Waze would work too). Phone sits in the cupholder so NAV map is visible if I absolutely need it, but to me the whole point of NAV is not to have to take my eyes off the road. Phone NAV doesn't require buying/installing updates, and it gives real-time re-routing for traffic problems, all without cost. Tbh I don't see any purpose for built-in NAV anymore but YMMV.

I know there are new heads out there without NAV, I remember reading about them on Rennlist when I was considering upgrading my 911.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:18 PM
oldtee
Racer

Originally Posted by Double D Mods

Dennis
Excellent answers. Would I still need the xsv tuner if I already have XM installed (?) and use it now?
Old 03-04-2017, 01:24 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

I prefer the built in navigation. Mostly because the car came with navigation from the factory and I wanted to replace the head unit with out losing any features I already had. I don't use it much, but its always there if I need it even if I don't have my phone. But if it's a money issue, you can definitely save some money on the head unit by using your phone's navigation through Carplay or Android Auto.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:26 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Excellent answers. Would I still need the xsv tuner if I already have XM installed (?) and use it now?

I know you are asking Dennis, but yes you do need to buy a new tuner (sxv300). You will not be able to re-use your existing GM XM tuner.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:35 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Also, the install is quite simple for replacing the head unit, but if your install guy hasn't done a radio in a while, I think I would prefer to take it to a Best Buy or local audio shop to do the install. It's real easy for the guys that do it every day, where your mechanic might have to do some research to get it done right or if there is any trouble shooting involved.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:36 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I prefer the built in navigation. Mostly because the car came with navigation from the factory and I wanted to replace the head unit with out losing any features I already had. I don't use it much, but its always there if I need it even if I don't have my phone. But if it's a money issue, you can definitely save some money on the head unit by using your phone's navigation through Carplay or Android Auto.
Thanks for all the answers, I am on the fence about this too, I wish Dennis was closer so he could do the install. Anyway, who supplies the Navi system on your Pioneer, is it a Garmin or someone else? And if you use Apple or Android with a head unit that has built in Navigation, can you use either navi (built in or Apple/Android) whenever you want? I'm guessing when you use Car Play you automatically have to use the phone navi but if you don't use CP you can use the built in, correct? TY...
Old 03-04-2017, 01:38 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by RobLo
Thanks for all the answers, I am on the fence about this too, I wish Dennis was closer so he could do the install. You can easily do this yourself with me a phone call away for help. If not I have someone in LI I can send you too. Anyway, who supplies the Navi system on your Pioneer, is it a Garmin or someone else?Pioneer is NAVTEQ Kenwood is Garmin and ALpine is IGO And if you use Apple or Android with a head unit that has built in Navigation, can you use either navi (built in or Apple/Android) whenever you want? Yes you just cant use both at same time is allI'm guessing when you use Car Play you automatically have to use the phone navi but if you don't use CP you can use the built in, correct? TY...YES

The following users liked this post:
TorchRedFred (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 01:39 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

YEs and no to best answer

YES
if you want the SIRIUS XM built in
NO
If you decide you want to use the APP from your phone and BT the music to the radio
This to me is the best option for sound quality
Old 03-04-2017, 01:40 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Double D Mods

Dennis
Are you connected/affiliated with any audio installers in other parts of the Country, could you recommend and send me to someone in my area? I really don't want to do it myself but I don't want to take the car to just anyone either...thanks!

You answered my question in your last post...so I'm guessing I would buy the unit from you (I don't want you to lose the sale) and you could send me to someone to install it?

Last edited by RobLo; 03-04-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:52 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

A Corvette mechanic to do a fairly technical radio install? Um...no. Not the greatest idea.

Any professional stereo place. They've done Ferraris, Porsche, Bentleys, etc. Your Corvette will be just fine.

Probably.

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 03-04-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:50 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

The hardest part is removing the center console/radio surround. After that if you have a plug and play harness it's very simple.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:03 AM
oldtee
Racer

Originally Posted by EVRose
The hardest part is removing the center console/radio surround. After that if you have a plug and play harness it's very simple.
This kind of supports MY decision to use MY mechanic and friend whom I have complete confidence. Good advice to others about good radio installers tho....

I am still grappling with things I maybe loosing? Part of the quid pro quo.
1. HUD turn information from NAV?
2. Station information on radio?
3. New Mic will look like an add on item in the cockpit?

Too be fair, I am musing here. The bullet is going to be bit.....

Get notified of new replies

To C6 09 radio upgrade

Old 03-05-2017, 11:38 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

This kind of supports MY decision to use MY mechanic and friend whom I have complete confidence. Good advice to others about good radio installers tho....

I am still grappling with things I maybe loosing? Part of the quid pro quo.
1. HUD turn information from NAV?
2. Station information on radio?
3. New Mic will look like an add on item in the cockpit?

Too be fair, I am musing here. The bullet is going to be bit.....

I mounted the new mic right next to the stock one and it pretty much goes unnoticed. You will lose the HUD information for your Nav and radio stations though. That wasn't a big deal for me. I mainly just use my HUD for my speed. But overall the new navigation is greatly improved with the better screen and graphics on the new head unit so that makes up for the loss in my opinion.

Here is a tutorial with pictures on how to do the install created by Dennis at Double D's. You may want to show your mechanic just in case he runs into any problems, like figuring out where to plug in the XM antenna extension cable and it also gives you an idea of what's involved. There is some pre-wiring that needs to be done, but it's basically connecting color matched wires.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html
Old 03-05-2017, 07:39 PM
MarcL
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm coming in late to this thread, but am considering a new head unit for my '05 C6 and had the same sort of questions. I'm an electrical engineer and am researching the best unit across most all budgets and I have trouble understanding why the "pos" OEM mic is simply throwaway ... isn't there a way to adapt to it somewhere under the dash? Is it because it's really that much of a P. O. S.? I don't want a 'barely' noticeable mic.

I'm not really ready to accept no HUD integration either. Is it just that this make/model head unit being discussed doesn't support it? I was reading another waaaaaay older thread and they implied that the HUD integration still worked with an adapter.

I'll probably give Double-D a call during the week so I can get smarter about these details.

(i'm also hunting for an '05 FSM and will soon be taking apart my center console to fix my 'stuck-in-park' problems as well ... figured I'd update the audio while I have the console apart)

Last edited by MarcL; 03-05-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:28 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MarcL
I'm not really ready to accept no HUD integration either. Is it just that this make/model head unit being discussed doesn't support it? I was reading another waaaaaay older thread and they implied that the HUD integration still worked with an adapter.
Unless it's changed very recently no aftermarket head unit integrates with the HUD. Speed, RPM's and G's still show up but you lose radio and navigation display on the HUD...

Quick Reply: C6 09 radio upgrade