C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleartastic front end protector

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 01:32 PM
red500man
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cleartastic front end protector

Just brought home a new to me c6 yesterday and I am already looking for ways to take care of her. I am looking at the cleartastic front end protector, as the car is perfect in front and I would like to keep it that way. So my question is does anyone have experience with this and if so could you give me your opinion on ease of application and how well it performs for its intended purpose? Thanks for any help and I am sure to be back with more ?'s
Old 03-01-2017, 02:45 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Congrats on the purchase.

Recommend using the Search feature....you will find hundreds and hundreds of threads discussing all the brands that are available, what they cost, and how well they hold up.

I prefer Xpel. Self-healing, and stands up well. It's been on my car for years and is perfect. Highly recommend covering the entire front end to avoid seeing the film edges (ie if you only do half the hood vs the entire hood).
The following users liked this post:
red500man (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I had my car covered with expel ultimate and expel stealth. It works great.

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-ultimate-pa...otection-film/
red500man (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 04:10 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by red500man
Just brought home a new to me c6 yesterday and I am already looking for ways to take care of her. I am looking at the cleartastic front end protector, as the car is perfect in front and I would like to keep it that way. So my question is does anyone have experience with this and if so could you give me your opinion on ease of application and how well it performs for its intended purpose? Thanks for any help and I am sure to be back with more ?'s
I did a little review of the produce that your asking about.
It seems that it will only partially cover the front bumper, mostly the flattest parts with no compound angles and curves that would make it pretty easy to apply. That's why it's designed as a DIY kit.
I don't see a hood covering, that would be recommended also.
I have experience in applying plastic coverings and it looks like this could be for you if your handy.
I did not go this route with mine, as I had a professional install a full front bumper covering and would never consider doing this job myself, it can be a PIA, and if installed wrong, there's no return so experience is highly needed for that type of kit to be installed.
$500 well spent.

Last edited by extrapilot; 03-01-2017 at 04:29 PM.
red500man (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Fly-N-LOw
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Protection for Hood

I agree with doing the whole hood, you will see a line after awhile. I use Zaino so it doesn't show much. If you wax it will be more obvious. It can't cost that much more.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:36 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Say, I'm just asking a question: is cleartastic the product I've read about in the past that blows off on trips? I could be wrong, but I know there's a product that has had that occur more than once.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 PM
red500man
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the replies and I did look at the xpel product and it does sound like a quality product. I think I want to put a stripe on it so I figure I better take care of that first. I am only looking at the protective film for the front bumper cover,not the hood. Has anyone put the expel overtop of a stripe, the area would only be a small piece that comes down around the front emblem that would have any stripe material on the bumper cover.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:53 PM
Joey D
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by red500man
I appreciate all the replies and I did look at the xpel product and it does sound like a quality product. I think I want to put a stripe on it so I figure I better take care of that first. I am only looking at the protective film for the front bumper cover,not the hood. Has anyone put the expel overtop of a stripe, the area would only be a small piece that comes down around the front emblem that would have any stripe material on the bumper cover.
I have expel on my centennial (which as 2 flat black stripes down it). Since my stripes are flat black, I used Expel Stealth on the stripes and Expel ultimate on the rest of the car.

There is no issue putting it over a stripe other than the fact that if you remove he expel after is sets, it may ruin the stripe.

- Joe
Old 03-02-2017, 10:24 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Say, I'm just asking a question: is cleartastic the product I've read about in the past that blows off on trips? I could be wrong, but I know there's a product that has had that occur more than once.

Nope.. Cleartastic is fine and doesn't blow off.. I've had it on my 13gs since new... was a bit of a real PIA to put on but that was my fault somewhat.. I didn't put it on the hood, and to this date I have no nicks at all.. I have it on the gills, lower body and rear wheels..
Old 03-02-2017, 10:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks for the correct info, Joec.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:53 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was one of the original product testers working with Ed Gentile of TKO Performance probably four or five years ago when he was developing the Cleartastic kit. Probably this one:

http://tkoperformance.com/C6-Clearta...se_p_1581.html

I still have it on my Corvette. It covers most of the horizontal surfaces and it seems those parts get 80-90% of the rock dings. The Cleartastic has remained optically clear, with no yellowing and no pulling away from the bodywork. It has saved me a significant number of paint dings. Places were it has taken a huge hit have caused it to cloud up for a few days, but it kind of self-heals and becomes clear and smooth again after some warmer temps.

In my opinion, it's a great kit for the cost.

Get notified of new replies

To cleartastic front end protector

Quick Reply: cleartastic front end protector