C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 04:01 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Your car is an 09', put new rotors and pads on and move on.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:43 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

sounds like a used car. sell it and move on.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:24 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
But you have not determined that yet, have you?
I was responding to the statement that brake rotors don't warp but may need machining. Notice the absence of "my" in my comment.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:27 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by EVILFACE
sounds like a used car. sell it and move on.
Have you ever actually replaced rotors on any car? I have and it's not enough work to turn me off on the car, but your comment was very helpful. THX
Old 02-15-2017, 02:36 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I was responding to the statement that brake rotors don't warp but may need machining. Notice the absence of "my" in my comment.
Did you bother to read the artical I linked?? Probably not.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:55 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 525 Likes on 315 Posts

I assume that my '09 base car still has the original rotors on it. The car was only 26K miles old when I bought it two years ago. They are clearly not cross drilled or slotted and they've begun to show the signs typical of warping. The car comes to a stop now with a pronounced bump...bump...bump. I owned a '00 Z28 for sixteen years, from new, and that car was plagued with rotor warping as well. I replaced them at least three times because of excessive run out. Why can't Chevrolet design a set of brakes that don't regularly warp? This is frustrating. I've had lots of other cars with discs and never had this problem. Even my several GMC Safaris ('95, '98, '01, '04) with discs didn't have these problems. I thought that cross drilled rotors might be a solution but the experts say that they really don't perform that much better except in competitive driving environments where the car is being pushed to the edge of the envelope. Anyone else have these sort of problems with a DD or some advice on replacement rotors?
Like others have already said, but I'll reiterate, You are coming to a complete stop and leaving your foot on the brake. Even in town you should stop short of where you actually want to stop then creep forward so the pad doesn't sit pressed up on the hot rotor. That's what causes the 'warping'. I had issues with many cars until I learned this, since learning the proper way to stop I have had zero brake issues.

Drilled and slotted rotors will help because they will stay cooler to begin with. They also have a slight 'cheese grater' and 'cheese slicer' effect on the pad which gives a bit more bite. The biggest thing I have noticed going from standard to drilled/slotted is in the wet the water has a place to go (in the slots and holes)
Old 02-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I may be in the minority but my 07 (original owner here) has 78k miles and I am still on the original pads/rotors with no pulsation whatsoever. I should also point out that I am no Sunday driver either with some braking done at good speeds.

But like someone pointed out it is a used car, change the rotors/pads and move on...

I assume that my '09 base car still has the original rotors on it. The car was only 26K miles old when I bought it two years ago. They are clearly not cross drilled or slotted and they've begun to show the signs typical of warping. The car comes to a stop now with a pronounced bump...bump...bump. I owned a '00 Z28 for sixteen years, from new, and that car was plagued with rotor warping as well. I replaced them at least three times because of excessive run out. Why can't Chevrolet design a set of brakes that don't regularly warp? This is frustrating. I've had lots of other cars with discs and never had this problem. Even my several GMC Safaris ('95, '98, '01, '04) with discs didn't have these problems. I thought that cross drilled rotors might be a solution but the experts say that they really don't perform that much better except in competitive driving environments where the car is being pushed to the edge of the envelope. Anyone else have these sort of problems with a DD or some advice on replacement rotors?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:21 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Gee, my apologies. Since you posted the original question, and you posted the follow up regarding measuring of the runout, I made an incorrect assumption.

You have gotten lots of valuable, helpful answers. Let us know what you decide to do.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 02-15-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:24 PM
BC427
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OMG. I wasn't going to comment anymore but to see in printing that the way you don't warp, which they don't, rotors is to NOT come to a complete stop but stop short and creep up. The pad sitting on the hot rotor causes the warping. There must be millions upon millions of vehicles on the road with this issue. Why doesn't the new car manufacturers tell their owners of this situation?
The LA driving test puts OE brake pads at temps between 400 to 700 degrees of normal freeway driving. They don't have any issues. If your new vehicle displayed DTV, pedal pulsation, then it was because you got them HOT. Like 1000 degrees hot. So hot that the pad material did not transfer on to the rotor evenly.
The OE guys are just shaking their heads.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:33 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by BC427
OMG. I wasn't going to comment anymore but to see in printing that the way you don't warp, which they don't, rotors is to NOT come to a complete stop but stop short and creep up. The pad sitting on the hot rotor causes the warping. There must be millions upon millions of vehicles on the road with this issue. Why doesn't the new car manufacturers tell their owners of this situation?
The LA driving test puts OE brake pads at temps between 400 to 700 degrees of normal freeway driving. They don't have any issues. If your new vehicle displayed DTV, pedal pulsation, then it was because you got them HOT. Like 1000 degrees hot. So hot that the pad material did not transfer on to the rotor evenly.
The OE guys are just shaking their heads.
It has a lot to due with pad material.

I had stock brakes on my truck for 60k, never had a problem. Went to EBC green SUV and went nuts with this issue. I would wet sand the rotors which would correct it and in 5k it was back. I got sick of it and went to Bendix titanium metallic II and never had an issue again. Anyone who didn't know better would have bet money the rotors were warped. You could actually see imprints of the pad on the rotor if you looked at the correct angle. None of the other pads stopped anything like the EBCs though.

Quick Reply: Warped rotors.