C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like most imported performance cars ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 09:34 AM
dbawannabe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ?

SMG and Autosticks have become real common on imports (even the lowly Toyota MR2 has SMG). Has anyone heard whether or not the C6 will be offered with these as options ? Do you think these are good or bad ? Does anyone even care ?

[Modified by dbawannabe, 8:39 AM 9/23/2002]
Old 09-23-2002, 11:12 AM
Illini Steve
Drifting

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (dbawannabe)

I think it will, although reports in the press seem to say no. According to Autoweek the 5 speed auto with "Autostick" in the XLR can't handle the power of the Vette.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:42 PM
funshipone
Racer

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (Illini Steve)

I hope GM and Bob Lutz are smart enough to have Autostick on C6 Corvette if not I am one person who will not consider C6.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:32 PM
logansowner
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (funshipone)

Unfourtionitly I think it will :( The Corvette shouldn't have all these useless gizmoes like other cars have, lambos and Ferrarries don't have them so why do we think we need them? If you wan't performance you probably don't want an auto/stick tranny :nonod:
Old 09-23-2002, 06:17 PM
texnteg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (funshipone)

why not get a manual. and if you want an auto, get it. autostick is a gimmick, it is the same as dropping the shifter into drive, 2nd or whatever else is below OD. autostick is a computer control that makes sure you aren't trying anything stupid, which is why it will shift at redline. SMG(BMW only) is a manual with a hydraulic clutch. toyota has a completely different system than SMG, their's is more in-line with the ferrari/maser system. i just don't understand how falsely shifting gears would make or break your decision. my 91 integra is an automatic, first car to have electronic sport shift capabilities. you drop it from D to S, and switch between 3rd and 4th gear, it hold a gear longer. if i need to drop it further, i bring it back into 2nd. the computer matches the revs so the tranny will not be ruined. i guess that is the benefit of an electronic-controlled trans. which the new 5-speed auto that GM has is. i guess what i'm trying to say is that there is no difference between moving a shifter left to right as opposed to pulling it towards you. sorry, for being long-winded. the logic behind a purchase of a car depending on this one feature seems illogical to me.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:42 PM
funshipone
Racer

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (texnteg)

I guess I wasn't clear I would like to see a up option as a F1 style Autostick
if GM only offfers a Automatic with electronic shift I would order a 6 speed. I have driven a Ferrari with F1 trans fun to drive. I also think it could be done for less than what Ferrari charges. I presently have a 1984 308 GTS 5 speed and woukd like to drive an American sports car with some extras.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:35 AM
JoeyC5
Instructor

They better not put an auto stick in a vette, I would be so pi$$ed
Old 09-30-2002, 12:30 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (JoeyC5)

They better not put an auto stick in a vette, I would be so pi$$ed
Why not? All it is is a couple of switches to let you switch gears at will. If there's an automatic in the car, then this feature should be available on it. I'll never buy an automatic Corvette, but if I did have to get one (say if I lost my left leg, or was overcome by advanced age) I'd want this feature on the auto, so I could at least have some reasonable control over the shifting. It doesn't degrade performance in any way, and it's not a substitute for a stick. And it's not a gimmick...it's just a switch, and some programming.

Scott
Old 09-30-2002, 02:16 PM
BobA
Instructor

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (LymanSS)

I'm with U I would love an auto stick of some sort so I could control wheel spin without frying a cluch. A Z06 would be perfect for this option (cluches take a beating in a drag race.) :yesnod:
BobA
Old 09-30-2002, 02:53 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,020 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (BobA)

No, you wont see that stuff in the C6. Hopefully theyll have 5 or 6speed automatic to go with the 6speed Manual.

But id bet money on an F1 paddle shifter being strongly considered in the C7 or late model C6's (prolly the Z06s).

As of now, the 5 speed automatics cant handle the TQ output of the Corvette Engine. I also doubt you see an autostick, ever.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:02 PM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (vader86)

""As of now, the 5 speed automatics can't handle the TQ output of the Corvette Engine. (true) I also doubt you see an autostick, ever. (See below)""

With Pontiac announcing the TAP automatic for the 2004 Grand Prix and claiming it will have the steering wheel mounted paddles and the fastest response of any current automatic it sounds like GM does indeed have "autostick" in mind. I'll bet it makes it to the Vette although it may be an option.

:chevy
Old 09-30-2002, 04:16 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (dbawannabe)

Autostick ? .....naw-w-wwww.....

I would hope that if GM offered a tranny option it'd be the "steering wheel" shift paddles like the Ferraris have. :cool:

The new Lexus IS-300 has 'em but you can't start from a dead stop in 1st gear ! :eek: ....it forces you to start from 2nd. :rolleyes:
Old 09-30-2002, 07:23 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,020 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like many imported performance cars ? (Curtis A. Franz)

No doubt that GM will build an Autostick, just so they can keep up with the competition, the 300M has one, its simple but it works well.

I just dont think theyll put that on a vette in the forseeable future.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like most imported performance cars ?

Quick Reply: Will the C6 have SMG and/or Autostick like most imported performance cars ?