C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 fuel tanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default C6 fuel tanks

2013 GS..I know there is 2 tanks...which side empties first?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:56 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,121 Likes on 695 Posts

Think it is same as my 07.

Electric pump is in left tank. Right tank is emptied first via a venturi siphon action.
The following users liked this post:
Itshakes (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:33 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Left tank supplies fuel to left engine and the right tank supplies fuel to the right engine.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd be curious to know as well. Is the siphon constant so that both tend to empty at the same rate?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Electric pump is in left tank. Right tank is emptied first via a venturi siphon action.
I believe this is the correct answer. When you stop and fill up, the fuel fills the driver's side tank first, then begins to fill the passenger side tank thru the large crossover pipe on the top of the tanks. As you drive, an in-tank electric fuel pump inside the driver-side tank feeds gas to the motor; the pressurized fuel flow drives a small mechanical siphon pump to move fuel from the bottom of the passenger side to the driver-side tank. There are two fuel level sensors--one in each tank--so that when the passenger side tank is completely empty, the combined resistance from the two gauges reads 1/2 tank.

I think...seems overly complicated to me as well, but pretty sure I've seen this explanation somewhere on this forum. I just don't have the energy to search for it.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

C6 to go is correct

Passenger side tank uses siphon to pump into drivers until it is empty. Electric fuel pump in drivers side that pumps up to motor. So at 1/2 way, passenger tank should be empty and drivers tank full. When you fill up from empty, you fill drivers side until it get to top and spills over into the passenger side from the crossover tube.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:28 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,121 Likes on 695 Posts

Here is the shop manual version. I read up on it when my sender was failing:

The fuel system is a returnless on-demand design. The fuel pressure regulator is a part of the fuel tank module, eliminating the need for a return pipe from the engine. A returnless fuel system reduces the internal temperature of the fuel tank by not returning hot fuel from the engine to the fuel tank. Reducing the internal temperature of the fuel tank results in lower evaporative emissions.

Two fuel tanks store the fuel supply. An electric turbine style fuel pump attaches to the fuel tank module inside the left fuel tank. The fuel pump supplies high pressure fuel through the fuel filter and the fuel feed pipe to the fuel injection system. The fuel pump provides fuel at a higher rate of flow than is needed by the fuel injection system. The fuel pump also supplies fuel to a Venturi pump located on the bottom of the left fuel tank module. The function of the Venturi pump is to fill the left fuel tank module reservoir. The primary fuel pressure regulator, a part of the left fuel tank module, maintains the correct fuel pressure to the fuel injection system. The left fuel tank module contains a reverse flow check valve. The check valve, the primary fuel pressure regulator, and the secondary fuel pressure regulator maintain fuel pressure in the fuel feed pipe and the fuel rail in order to prevent long cranking times.

The fuel pump also supplies a small amount of pressurized fuel through the auxiliary fuel feed pipe to the siphon jet pump inside the right fuel tank. The pressurized fuel creates a Venturi action inside the siphon jet pump. The Venturi action causes the fuel to be drawn out of the right fuel tank. The fuel transfers from the right fuel tank to the left fuel tank through the auxiliary fuel return pipe. The auxiliary fuel return pipe inside the left fuel tank contains an anti-siphon hole in order to prevent fuel from siphoning from the left fuel tank into the right fuel tank. Both the auxiliary fuel feed pipe and the auxiliary fuel return pipe are located inside the convoluted stainless steel crossover hose.

The right fuel tank module contains a secondary fuel pressure regulator. The secondary fuel pressure regulator has a lower set point than the primary regulator in order to allow fuel to flow to the siphon jet pump on the right fuel tank module. When the engine is shut off, the pressure in the feed pipes immediately drops to the secondary regulator set point. This prevents the siphon jet pump from operating and in turn prevents the equalization of the left and right fuel tanks. The secondary fuel pressure regulator maintains fuel pressure in the auxiliary fuel feed pipe which reduces the time to prime the siphon jet pump. The pressurization also reduces fuel vaporization and boiling in the auxiliary fuel feed pipe.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:32 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

This shows how the fuel tanks are laid out- (How-To fuel filter replacement)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...-filter-368703

Last edited by dmoneychris; 02-10-2017 at 05:34 PM.
skeeter131 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:27 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

So the fuel from the right hand tank is pumped to the cylinders on the right side of the engine and the exhaust from those cylinders comes out the right side exhaust pipe...and the same thing happens on the left side of the car.....
Old 02-11-2017, 05:30 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
So the fuel from the right hand tank is pumped to the cylinders on the right side of the engine and the exhaust from those cylinders comes out the right side exhaust pipe...and the same thing happens on the left side of the car.....
Oh my God......WW

Last edited by WW7; 02-11-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Itshakes (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Actually its the opposite. Just like the exhaust, there is an x-pipe so it swaps sides on the way up so it can match the exhaust flow out the back.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:22 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

No, no, no. The right tank is for when you are driving in red states and the left tank is for when you are driving in blue states. You can use real gas in the right tank but the left tank has to have ethanol.

OP - More than you ever wanted to know about the fuel system - http://www.hessh.de/Corvette/FuelTankSystem.pdf
This has been discussed many times. The first I recall getting it correct was about 10 years ago - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uel-tanks.html This site's search function is pathetic but just add site:corvetteforum.com to a Google search and you get much better results.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:18 AM
cclive
Team Owner

OK, so my error was not taking into account the X-pipe...I was thinking H-pipe....silly me...
Old 02-11-2017, 11:30 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,741 Likes on 3,019 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
Left tank supplies fuel to left engine and the right tank supplies fuel to the right engine.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:51 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone done a mod that fills both tanks at the same time? Mine is a nightmare to fill, I'm assuming because of trapped air. I have to pull back on the rubber seal to let out trapped air while I pump. Sometimes it takes as long as 15 min. to fill up.

Stupid Cali regulations!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ILLUSHN
Has anyone done a mod that fills both tanks at the same time? Mine is a nightmare to fill, I'm assuming because of trapped air. I have to pull back on the rubber seal to let out trapped air while I pump. Sometimes it takes as long as 15 min. to fill up.

Stupid Cali regulations!
I agree...Calif regs are dumb...you might try turning the nozzle 180 degrees...many here have had success with that.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:58 PM
skeeter131
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On right hand drive corvettes does everything reverse in operation... Does the primary become the secondary and then the secondary becomes primary then the right exhaust becomes the primary exhaust and the left exhaust becomes the secondary... Who's on first..???

Get notified of new replies

To C6 fuel tanks

Quick Reply: C6 fuel tanks