C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A history of my Corvette struggles.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:32 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Default OCD Dealerships

Dealerships have always been the weak link in GM car ownership. Some are very good but many are what I call OCD dealerships. (Oil change dealerships) A bad dealership will cause a very positive experience with a new car into a nightmare in a single visit and GM does little to help...sad
The following users liked this post:
Vette Lag (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 04:29 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Wow!! you have a lot of patience!! I would have gotten rid of that lemon a long time ago. Good Luck!!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:32 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

After the first engine replacement I would be trading that car in.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I would have gotten out of that particular Corvette far sooner.

I had to Lemon-Law a Honda Accord a while back. It was a PITA, but worth it in the long run.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

OP:

These cars sometimes just seem like they were built under an unlucky star. My friend recently bought a Z06 C7 all larded up with equipment to sticker just a hair under $100k. Within a few weeks, he needed a new engine. Then, after replacement, he needed a whole transmission.

Getting it back, he noted the paint was now peeling off. Seeing the mess he'd gotten into, he bailed at a fire sale price while still under warranty and bought a Porsche.

He has no dealer gripes either. It was just one bad car like the one in the OP although I wonder why the OP has had THREE engines. I wonder if it's somehow owner affected.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:44 AM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
WOW! Three engines? What is the story on that?
Com`on guys, it's an LS7, I thought everybody knew about them...
Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
Com`on guys, it's an LS7, I thought everybody knew about them...
I thought it was a valve guide/spring issue, and once that was corrected then all was okay.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:17 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rkj427

one would think that the 3 engine replacements mentioned would have led the owner to seek legal actions through the Lemon Laws???
also, why would it have taken so many trips to a dealer where you weren't satisfied before seeking another facility??
granted, there are a lot of poor dealership service departments around, but there also are some known for quality work at fair prices in each and every large metropolitan area....................
I think you are spot on!

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Somehow I think there is a lot more to this story than just what is in the first post.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I thought it was a valve guide/spring issue, and once that was corrected then all was okay.
Who would rebuild a brand new engine that's under warranty?
Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Vette Lag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Somehow I think there is a lot more to this story than just what is in the first post.
I am not sure what you mean, but this has been almost like a perfect horror story. I did not want Chevrolet to buy the car back, because as you all know, big engines are a thing of the past. I wanted to keep this car until it rotted away. I am a huge Corvette fan, I even wrote an unpublished book about the Corvette. It took me over a year to get all the facts, pictures, engine history, and all the details of the book. I have given copies to friends, and I am having one of the local printing shops, make it into a bound book for me. I love the Corvette. I am just so sick of dealer treatment of Corvette owners, that I have read about here, and heard from local owners. My friend, just had the valve failure happen to his Z06, and it blew 2 holes in the block. I feel I have been duped by Chevrolet. I just want to enjoy my car ownership, and drive the car, and enjoy it. It is an unbelievably fast, amazing car to drive, and own. I get thumbs up everywhere. I just want the dealerships to take a real stance, and send me away feeling, they have done their best. I have never felt this way. I have owned about 12 new GM cars, in the last 18 years. This includes a Hummer H2, a Cadillac STS-4, 2 new Corvettes, 2 new Camaro Z28's. I just feel crappy about the issues I've had. Sorry about the, "I feel sorry for me" attitude.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Vette Lag
Pro

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
OP:

These cars sometimes just seem like they were built under an unlucky star. My friend recently bought a Z06 C7 all larded up with equipment to sticker just a hair under $100k. Within a few weeks, he needed a new engine. Then, after replacement, he needed a whole transmission.

Getting it back, he noted the paint was now peeling off. Seeing the mess he'd gotten into, he bailed at a fire sale price while still under warranty and bought a Porsche.

He has no dealer gripes either. It was just one bad car like the one in the OP although I wonder why the OP has had THREE engines. I wonder if it's somehow owner affected.
I don't race, I don't modify, except interior and suspension. The first engine blew while I was traveling at 65 mph, on the freeway. The second engine, the dealer actually apologized. They did not replace the dry sump, which was full of metal particles. The oil looked like metal flake paint when they showed it to me.

My LS6, in my 2002 Z06, was raced, driven hard like a maniac, pushed so hard, I should've been arrested. It never winced. It took all the abuse I could throw at it. It was one wicked beast, but the engine never failed.

This LS7 car, I have almost babied, and these problems still arose.

You guys have a wonderful New Year, and I hope your Corvette, dealership, and Chevrolet experience, is better than mine.

Last edited by Vette Lag; 12-29-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:11 PM
Vette Lag
Pro

Originally Posted by Ron'sGS
I would look into the Lemon Laws of your state, and legal advice. Sorry to hear about your troubles.....
Thanks. I appreciate your understanding. I just want to say, to one of the replies here, I took it to dealerships that spread over nearly 100 miles apart, same old thing. I don't want the car to be a buy back, as new 427 convertibles are no longer available. It was just a post about the troubles I had with a new Corvette, on a Corvette forum. I am a highly trained Aeronautical/Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer, and a company should never allow problems like the ones with the LS7 to continue. This is my opinion, as a person who sees everyday, expensive, complicated and large volume parts being produced, without this kind of PQDR's. We call them Product Quality Deficiency Reports. They have to be answered by the manufacturer, as we install them on our products. We never let even a single part go, that is deficient, without reimbursement, and explanation.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Vette Lag
Pro

Originally Posted by EVRose
I'm very curious about what happened to the first 2 engines.
I hope this will satisfy your curiosity, because I am sure, you will not find what you're looking for in my reply. I sense negative sarcasm in your post.

I will put it to you in the simplest of ways. The first engine froze up, on the freeway at 65 mph, with 11,000 miles on the odometer.

The second engine failed, 1700 miles later, due to the fact that the dealership did not follow the instructions the assembly plant engineer instructed them to do, replace the dry sump system. The dealership only hot-washed it with oil, and reinstalled it.

The third engine, at 60,000 miles, 43,000 miles past the second engine failure, is running perfectly. So in all honesty, I feel only one engine actually failed due to quality issues.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,983 Likes on 2,479 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Vette Lag
The third engine, at 60,000 miles, 43,000 miles past the second engine failure, is running perfectly. So in all honesty, I feel only one engine actually failed due to quality issues.

Edited your response just to say continued good luck with your 427 convertible! Glad to see one is actually driven like intended!

truly amazing cars........................
Old 12-29-2016, 01:08 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,915 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I hope this will satisfy your curiosity, because I am sure, you will not find what you're looking for in my reply. I sense negative sarcasm in your post.

I will put it to you in the simplest of ways. The first engine froze up, on the freeway at 65 mph, with 11,000 miles on the odometer.

The second engine failed, 1700 miles later, due to the fact that the dealership did not follow the instructions the assembly plant engineer instructed them to do, replace the dry sump system. The dealership only hot-washed it with oil, and reinstalled it.

I don't think Evrose was negative or sarcastic....not his style. He really wanted to know more history.

Hope your troubles are all behind you now. Funny how some cars are unreliable when most are very reliable. I had 1 out of 3 that was unreliable. Got rid of it quickly.

Last edited by wayback; 12-29-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:10 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Why would you sense negative sarcasm in my post? I think it was a reasonable question considering there arnt many posts about a 3 year old car on its third engine.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:12 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
I don't think Evrose was negative or sarcastic....not his style. He really wanted to know more history.

Hope your troubles are all behind you now. Funny how some cars are unreliable when most are very reliable. I had 1 out of 3 that was unreliable. Got rid of it quickly.
Exactly!

Get notified of new replies

To A history of my Corvette struggles.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:07 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427

Edited your response just to say continued good luck with your 427 convertible! Glad to see one is actually driven like intended!

truly amazing cars........................
Apparently not
Old 12-29-2016, 03:29 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

I am not sure what you mean, but this has been almost like a perfect horror story. I did not want Chevrolet to buy the car back, because as you all know, big engines are a thing of the past. I wanted to keep this car until it rotted away. I am a huge Corvette fan, I even wrote an unpublished book about the Corvette. It took me over a year to get all the facts, pictures, engine history, and all the details of the book. I have given copies to friends, and I am having one of the local printing shops, make it into a bound book for me. I love the Corvette. I am just so sick of dealer treatment of Corvette owners, that I have read about here, and heard from local owners. My friend, just had the valve failure happen to his Z06, and it blew 2 holes in the block. I feel I have been duped by Chevrolet. I just want to enjoy my car ownership, and drive the car, and enjoy it. It is an unbelievably fast, amazing car to drive, and own. I get thumbs up everywhere. I just want the dealerships to take a real stance, and send me away feeling, they have done their best. I have never felt this way. I have owned about 12 new GM cars, in the last 18 years. This includes a Hummer H2, a Cadillac STS-4, 2 new Corvettes, 2 new Camaro Z28's. I just feel crappy about the issues I've had. Sorry about the, "I feel sorry for me" attitude.
I don't race, I don't modify, except interior and suspension. The first engine blew while I was traveling at 65 mph, on the freeway. The second engine, the dealer actually apologized. They did not replace the dry sump, which was full of metal particles. The oil looked like metal flake paint when they showed it to me.

My LS6, in my 2002 Z06, was raced, driven hard like a maniac, pushed so hard, I should've been arrested. It never winced. It took all the abuse I could throw at it. It was one wicked beast, but the engine never failed.

This LS7 car, I have almost babied, and these problems still arose.

You guys have a wonderful New Year, and I hope your Corvette, dealership, and Chevrolet experience, is better than mine.
Thanks. I appreciate your understanding. I just want to say, to one of the replies here, I took it to dealerships that spread over nearly 100 miles apart, same old thing. I don't want the car to be a buy back, as new 427 convertibles are no longer available. It was just a post about the troubles I had with a new Corvette, on a Corvette forum. I am a highly trained Aeronautical/Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer, and a company should never allow problems like the ones with the LS7 to continue. This is my opinion, as a person who sees everyday, expensive, complicated and large volume parts being produced, without this kind of PQDR's. We call them Product Quality Deficiency Reports. They have to be answered by the manufacturer, as we install them on our products. We never let even a single part go, that is deficient, without reimbursement, and explanation.

I want to thank you for taking the time to explain your problem, I am in your corner completely, as I have experienced the very nonchalant attitude when dealing with a dealer related problem, even if I WAS WRONG the right thing to do was act concerned about my complaint.
And again lets talk about the HARMONIC BALANCER that GM has NEVER ADDRESSED
I wish you the best of luck
NSF
Old 12-29-2016, 04:47 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I am a huge Corvette fan, I even wrote an unpublished book about the Corvette. It took me over a year to get all the facts, pictures, engine history, and all the details of the book. I have given copies to friends, and I am having one of the local printing shops, make it into a bound book for me.
Man, that's seriously a bummer about your car. I don't think I love any material possession enough to go through that sort of trouble trying to keep a lemon.

The following is not sarcasm:
You should have someone proofread the book before you spend the money getting it bound. Comma overload and lack of paragraph structure will make it a difficult read.

Quick Reply: A history of my Corvette struggles.