C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flying Roof Club - How many...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:17 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I've been driving behind a new member... TWICE! The C4 was easy to forget to tighten the bolts but the C6 seems impossible to forget the front latches. When I had a C4 I would often just lay the roof on top without tightening to keep the dust out. But I also had a paper note in the cubby with the wrench. Roof comes off - note goes on dash. Roof tight - note back in cubby with the wrench.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Yup, official card carrying member here.

My roof is off more than on for my 2011 Grandsport and when I first purchased the car I had a very bad habit of just putting the roof on unlatched if I was going to leave the car parked in the driveway for a brief period of time (especially during spring when our huge ash tree is covering everything in yellow pollen).

Sure enough, got in the car and left the house, driving down my street when the roof panel started to vibrate once I hit about 25 mph. Right as I looked up and tried to reach up quickly to grab the latch it launched, doing 2.5 rotations before it stuck the landing in the middle of the street. Broke the lip of the panel and major rash from the subsequent slide. While very angry at myself for the bonehead move I was just very grateful no one was behind me and the only damage was to my pride and wallet.

So now I ALWAYS latch at least the front driver's side latch when leaving the panel on briefly, guaranteeing no repeat performance.

Last edited by RC4G; 12-29-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:18 PM
0Flying Roofs
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyfox16
Sadly this has happened to me, but not while driving my own corvette.

I was looking at switching from my C5 to a C6 so i went down to the local dealer this past summer. Long story short, he gave me the keys, i pulled out, turned the corner and got up to maybe 35MPH, I heard some wind noise starting then before i could even think, the top just flew up into the air as i said a few choice words and watched it fall to the pavement in the rearview mirror. It ended up only cracking the rear edges.

Needless to say, this made for a quick return to the dealer. I was shocked when the guy told me it wasn't the first time it had happened!?!?! Then he said no worries they would order a replacement while i finish the test drive. I was kind of shocked because i wasn't sure what to expect when i returned to tell them the roof just flew off of their corvette. Unfortunately i didn't end up buying that one because they wouldn't budge on price at all but luckily i found my current C6 about a week later
I'm reading more and more about how dealerships are to blame for some of the memberships. Makes sense since a lot of them don't specialize in Corvettes and deal with them everyday.

This is also more common with rental cars places... the renter is not familiar with the vehicle and forgets. Hope they got the extra insurance!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:48 PM
montereyredvette
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
It will never happen to me. I don't lose my car keys, I don't leave my lug nuts loose, I never forget to replace my oil drain plug, I always open the garage door before backing out, etc. etc.

Kinda like forgetting to wipe your butt after taking a crap....
Old 12-29-2016, 07:30 PM
JC23GS10
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
It will never happen to me. I don't lose my car keys, I don't leave my lug nuts loose, I never forget to replace my oil drain plug, I always open the garage door before backing out, etc. etc.

Can't believe that this could happen. The locks are right in front of you... you can't miss them
Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

I forgot to latch mine on my 05 several years ago. As soon as I left my subdivision and hit the gas, the top went flying onto the road. I stopped and picked it up before any cars could run it over.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 PM
0Flying Roofs
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by torquetube
I think it's a discipline one needs to develop, like gun safety: the roof never sits on the car unlatched.

The fact that most people install the roof from outside the car probably contributes to the problem. I lift it over my head and get in the car, so my hands are already right there at the latches.
That sounds like a fabulous way of not forgetting... however, I can't picture how this is done each time without damaging something.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:13 PM
0Flying Roofs
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Carsonvette
2 different times with my 87 Camaro. Passenger T top both times during "spirited" cornering to the right. 2nd time launched into the middle of the 405. Car had a visible crack in the roof by the T top.
Dual membership, eek!
Old 12-29-2016, 11:29 PM
kona74
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was going to be the C6 flying top recall. Yes, I am a member when I had an 06 coupe. The skin peeled off the frame, bounced, and slid down the street before I could stop and pick it up. RECALL....
Old 12-29-2016, 11:36 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by kona74
I thought this was going to be the C6 flying top recall. Yes, I am a member when I had an 06 coupe. The skin peeled off the frame, bounced, and slid down the street before I could stop and pick it up. RECALL....
You may be a member, but this was not your fault.

This was not at as a result of improper fastening of the top; it was a manufacturing defect.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:54 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Roofs
That sounds like a fabulous way of not forgetting... however, I can't picture how this is done each time without damaging something.
I just find it easier. Raise the roof over your head, sit down, lower the roof into position. The not forgetting is a side benefit.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:33 PM
DaleDawg
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 14 Posts

My first Corvette in 1997. I had a 1992 red coupe. I thought I was being abducted by aliens or something when that top flew off. LOL
Old 12-30-2016, 06:11 PM
0Flying Roofs
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by owc6
I always wondered why they didn't put sensors in the coupe, like the Vert has, to tell you if it's not secure. They haven't put any in the C7 either. Seems to me like GM would be vulnerable legally, if anyone was hurt or killed by a flying roof. Not having sensors should be considered a safety issue.
Exactly! Shouldn't be that hard to tie in a dinger to the roof.

Until then, Flying Roofs is here to be the killer of the FRC!

Last edited by Flying Roofs; 01-19-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There was a thread where someone said he used a short piece of string tied around the left roof latch handle, and a piece of black foam rubber on the other end. When he puts the roof on the car, the string/foam is dangling in front of his face until he tucks it up under the closed latch. Can't tuck it in with the handle unlatched. I tried it once but didn't get the string/foam quite right and it wouldn't stay tucked in. Should have worked on it more.

I've avoided the FRC for 16 yrs/200k+ miles, but I could do it tomorrow.
Well, not tomorrow because it's too cold, but you get the idea...
Old 12-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Thankfully I am not a member
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM
0Flying Roofs
Former Vendor

There are quite a few members that posted here on the C6 forum, and there are more on the C5 and C7 forums. Nobody wants to be a part of the FRC. There were many more that swore they will never join the FRC, and I hope you're right. But everyone that is part of the FRC, said they woudn't forget.... take out some cheap insurance and protect yourself and your investment.

www.flyingroofs.com
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2017, 10:44 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm not a member mainly because I learned many Corvettes ago that when you put the top back on it's one motion, top on and latched.

Get notified of new replies

To Flying Roof Club - How many...

Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Roofs
There are quite a few members that posted here on the C6 forum, and there are more on the C5 and C7 forums. Nobody wants to be a part of the FRC. There were many more that swore they will never join the FRC, and I hope you're right. But everyone that is part of the FRC, said they woudn't forget.... take out some cheap insurance and protect yourself and your investment.

www.flyingroofs.com
What is it?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:14 PM
0Flying Roofs
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bruze
What is it?
Flying Roofs wraps around your removable roofs release handle and notifies you if your roof isn't latched.
Attached Images   
Old 01-05-2017, 12:42 PM
LsLegacy
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd literally cry if this happened to me... My roof is this -> https://www.corvettemods.com/C6-Corv...it_p_7554.html

Quick Reply: Flying Roof Club - How many...