C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the Corvette but....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:46 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Same here. Has all that and not just a coffee maker but a really nice Espresso Machine.
LOL....kinda reminds me of one of the Bond movies. Bond is making "M" a cup of espresso so he wiggles and turns 5-10 different ***** and handles for 5 minutes and hands the cup to "M". "M" looks at the machine and says...."Is that all it does".........
Old 11-03-2016, 01:29 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

it surprises me based on my experiences that anyone would take a 10 year old Corvette to dealer for service. Maybe to reprogram the FOBs, magnetic shocks, TPMS or something unique or quirky but not for any type of routine or heavy mechanical work.

I would say if the dealer is a reliable shop, it would be well worth the disappointment of the waiting area.

Me, I like to find a reliable and reasonable mechanic or oil change shop and drop it off.

Last edited by LowRyter; 11-03-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:43 PM
h2oskiman
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW Thats what we have to complain about. WOW with all that one has to deal with in life and we're complaining about a lounge area you must spend alot of time there.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oskiman
WOW Thats what we have to complain about. WOW with all that one has to deal with in life and we're complaining about a lounge area you must spend alot of time there.
Get with the program! Life is a bitch here in 'Murrica!

Old 11-03-2016, 06:38 PM
Happihank
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Happihank; 11-03-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:03 PM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

My Chevrolet dealership has a great waiting area. Coffee, water, TV, etc. When I do need to go there (not often) it is a nice place. As for Lexus? Their waiting area is wonderful, as it should be. Only problem I have with Lexus is that they sent me a letter telling me to not let anyone sit in the front right seat of my car because it is too dangerous. Oh, and they are so sorry but they can't fix it. Maybe next May or June it will be addressed. Till then, ride in the back seat. Yup, Lexus is great! Love my Chevrolet Corvette!!!
Old 11-04-2016, 02:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
it surprises me based on my experiences that anyone would take a 10 year old Corvette to dealer for service. Maybe to reprogram the FOBs, magnetic shocks, TPMS or something unique or quirky but not for any type of routine or heavy mechanical work.
Just so you don't go into a dealer for these items, the fobs you can program yourself using instructions here on the forum. The mag shocks can be changed just like any other shock and TPMS work just like on every other car from 2008 onwards so a tire place can do those. Generally, there is far more similarity to any other GM car than there is difference.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Happihank
Ive been driving and enjoying my 2005 Vette from the day I took delivery-
the only down side is Chevy Service Customer lounge.

We just a got a 2016 hybrid Lexus- what a difference at the dealership.
A loaner, if we need it, internet stations, coffee bar, big screen TVs
comfortable couches etc.
And this car was less $$ then the Vette.

I dread bringing my car in.

I think theres a real opportunity here for some enterprizing person to run a comfortable GM qualified service for the Corvette.
What do you think?

Buy another, more dependable car than the Lexus and you won't have to spend so much time in a waiting room that it's able to impress you.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 11-04-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:44 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter

I would say if the dealer is a reliable shop, it would be well worth the disappointment of the waiting area.

Me, I like to find a reliable and reasonable mechanic or oil change shop and drop it off.
I still have another year on my extended warranty (purchased from Carmax) so I got no problem going to the dealer for something big. I've only had to go once for a repair and they did a good job. Was there a second time for coolant, brake fluid and trans fluid change. No big deal.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:43 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by See5see6
My Chevrolet dealership has a great waiting area. Coffee, water, TV, etc. When I do need to go there (not often) it is a nice place. As for Lexus? Their waiting area is wonderful, as it should be. Only problem I have with Lexus is that they sent me a letter telling me to not let anyone sit in the front right seat of my car because it is too dangerous. Oh, and they are so sorry but they can't fix it. Maybe next May or June it will be addressed. Till then, ride in the back seat. Yup, Lexus is great! Love my Chevrolet Corvette!!!
Priceless
Old 11-04-2016, 05:22 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

What I think is that I can't think of any reason to go to a Chevrolet dealer with a 2005 Corvette...
Old 11-05-2016, 11:51 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
HUH ?? Not enough FLUFF at the stealership lounge ?? One must be joking. Guess they should have a free masseuse there to huh ?......
Originally Posted by pokerpro
Everyone loves a happy ending.
I think I might need an appointment to get my oil changed then.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There's no free lunch in life. Lexus dealerships have fancy waiting rooms because they cater to specific expectations. When you pay 15 grand extra for a gussied-up Toyota you're going to demand the lattes and big screen TVs. All that is built into the price of the car. Go to a Cadillac dealership and you'll likely see the same sort of show-that 90k you might pay for what amounts to a fancy Tahoe with more chrome has to be justified somehow.

A Corvette may be expensive for a Chevy (or a car in general) but it's a halo car for a mainstream company. The people that buy Cruzes and Malibus are price-conscious and not likely to spring for the expense of loaner cars or a Keurig machine. I suppose they could always spin the Corvette off into a separate brand like they did the Viper, but look how that ended up? Do you want the Corvette to remain a bargain supercar, or go up in price along with every other Chevy because you want the VIP treatment that you feel entitled to because you bought the best Chevy?

In all seriousness, I'm just giving you a hard time. I try to stay out of dealerships myself, and I figure that the waiting room service is only going to matter to me if I spend a lot of time there (bad) or spend a load of money on a "premier" make and thus would feel cheated if it didn't have all the fluff.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:38 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Yep, the last place you will find me at.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:59 PM
04DarkShadowGT
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When my mom used to drive a Lexus and it was time for an oil change, they would come to their house (35 min), drop off a loaner, drive her car to dealership, and then return it when finished. No idea if they still do that but man that was service for sure.

At the end of the day we drive a Chevy, not a Lexus. Your experience should be better at a BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus dealer. That is part of what you are shelling out so much for.

My local chevy dealer is fine, TV, wifi, free popcorn and pop. Good enough for me.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:08 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

I worked with a woman who had a Jaguar. Everyone at the dealership knew her name when she went in.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6
I worked with a woman who had a Jaguar. Everyone at the dealership knew her name when she went in.
What she looked like was more important than what she was driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Love the Corvette but....

Old 11-06-2016, 08:26 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by the kid C6
that's because she was there all the time to have it fixed...
Old 11-06-2016, 09:53 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cclive
Just so you don't go into a dealer for these items, the fobs you can program yourself using instructions here on the forum. The mag shocks can be changed just like any other shock and TPMS work just like on every other car from 2008 onwards so a tire place can do those. Generally, there is far more similarity to any other GM car than there is difference.
I agree with you. But some these items are little specialized.

for example, I purchased my '08 six months ago. The FOBs were programmed as #3 & #4. So I couldn't set my options. I read the manual and it's an involved process. I found a local dealer (large corvette sales) that would do it for $40. I didn't expect any private shop would be familiar with it and other dealers wanted $100+.

I thought I could do it but it is an involved deal. $40 was cheap insurance.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:55 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 04DarkShadowGT
When my mom used to drive a Lexus and it was time for an oil change, they would come to their house (35 min), drop off a loaner, drive her car to dealership, and then return it when finished. No idea if they still do that but man that was service for sure.

At the end of the day we drive a Chevy, not a Lexus. Your experience should be better at a BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus dealer. That is part of what you are shelling out so much for.

My local chevy dealer is fine, TV, wifi, free popcorn and pop. Good enough for me.
I am curious what the charge for this service amounts to?

My mom has a Lexus too. Glorified Camry. I like my newer Accord better but it doesn't have leather and fake wood like hers.

Quick Reply: Love the Corvette but....