C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try Plasti dip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 02:33 AM
Rjwz2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone try Plasti dip?

On their wheels? I want to know how it is lasting? How hard to remove?
Anyone try any other methods. I'd like to hear pros and cons of specific brands.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 09-16-2016, 04:09 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

It is easy to remove if you apply several coats. The more you apply, the easier it'll be to peel off later on, plus it'll be thicker too which will allow for more abuse from rocks and other stuff flying around. Only tried the original stuff and it did what I wanted, to change wheel colors relatively easy and fast.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:07 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjwz2
On their wheels?
No. Nobody has EVER plasti-dipped their wheels....
Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 AM
JonSnow
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

easy to apply and take off, but looks absolutely LOUSY when brake dust gets on it, it turns a dreadful brown color and its annoying to remove due to texture at times, this is even when applying many coats of the glossifier. I dyno my car relatively often and when strapping down on the dyno it comes off due to the rubbing on the straps which is annoying especially when driving home

not a bad product but I'll just buy black rims next time
Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm with him ^^^^^

While some think it looks great, I beg to differ. No luster, shine, or sparkle. It leaves a very dull look, and I've also found it can be extremely difficult to remove. It's a fad that some try because it's a fad.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Vettemuscle1
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Anyone try any other methods. I'd like to hear pros and cons of specific brands.
Thanks,
Rob
youtube and google is your friend on this one. there are TONS of options and different ways they can make it look more metallic etc. at the end of the day it peels blisters and looks cheap to me. if you're looking for a cheap couple month change that looks tolerable from 10 feet away its ok but its not a permanent or show winning result. Also if you change tires it will certainly rub it right off the bead of the wheel so know that as well.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Knoxrower
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JonSnow
easy to apply and take off, but looks absolutely LOUSY when brake dust gets on it, it turns a dreadful brown color and its annoying to remove due to texture at times, this is even when applying many coats of the glossifier. I dyno my car relatively often and when strapping down on the dyno it comes off due to the rubbing on the straps which is annoying especially when driving home

not a bad product but I'll just buy black rims next time
The trick is to make sure you put a few coats of clear over the black. then it doesn't fade or turn brown. I did it just to see how my car would look with black wheels before making the purchase. They came out great it still looks good after a year or so of driving.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:09 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
I'm with him ^^^^^
Originally Posted by airmed2
While some think it looks great, I beg to differ. No luster, shine, or sparkle. It leaves a very dull look, and I've also found it can be extremely difficult to remove. It's a fad that some try because it's a fad.
I used it on my rims just to see if wanted to buy black rims in the future, cheap alliterative. I remove it after one season, I didn't get the gloss I was looking for. I recall it wasn't that easy to remove.

Last edited by myfunz; 09-16-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:20 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks,
Rob
Wouldn't do it.

I work with 800 other people. Parking lot full of cars. Some of them with plastidipped wheels. It looks... Like pastidip. And for your own sanity, do NOT use any kind of standard automotive clearcoat. Or you'll be chipping away at it for months trying to remove it. And the Glossifier is NOT a clearcoat. at best, it gives a satin finish.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 09-16-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Tribaltalon
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

you're not applying the glossifier right. My wheels were plastidipped gold (6 coats with 3 coats glossifier) and they definitely weren't dull or satin. I wouldn't say it was comparable to an automotive clearcoat gloss but they looked good. The brake dust was terrible, but it was terrible with my chrome wheels too though. I just got bored and peeled it off the other day after 3 months on. Pretty cheap option to have a different look and as long as you apply it right, its not that hard to remove.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:02 PM
JonSnow
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine never faded, it just turned brown because of all of the brake dust, its pretty easy to clean plastidip with glossifier , but nowhere near as easy to clean actual rims with a nice clearcoat to them.

plastidip is more of an eggshell finish but with the glossifier its a satin finish, no matter how hard you try, you will never get the beautiful shiny look of a black glossy rim, plastidip also has a mild texture to it and dust LOVES sticking to it.

I used plastidip as a proof of concept and I don't regret it because it cost a grand total of maybe 20$, but at the end of the day a nice glossy rim looks lightyears ahead of a glossified plastidip rim
Old 09-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

If I want "Black Wheels" they will have to be shiny which cannot be accomplished with Plasti-Dip, I have experimented with it.
The finish looks Ok with Glossiifier but it is satin at best.
There is product DYC sells called Brake Dust Pro (see it on You Tube) that is a spray-on cleaner that washes away brake dust without scrubbing, does pretty well also, but costly with S&H.
I have done quite a bit of Plasti-Dip but with wheels its not my thing, other stuff its great
Good luck
NSF
Old 09-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Iceman007
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used plasti dip on truck emblems before and it looked ok, but when I see it on wheels it just never really looks right, or black to me. Kinda always has a dry grey look to it and I'm also not a fan of matte black wheels I prefer glossy so it kinda reminds of of a grey matte black wheel. It is good to use tho if you want to at least see how your car will look before purchasing black wheels.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Rjwz2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
No. Nobody has EVER plasti-dipped their wheels....
Thanks Wise *** Ed. You know what meant...
Old 09-17-2016, 12:56 AM
Daviddear30
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 72 Posts

you can get almost any color you want with plasti dip these days.

I used several layers of plastidip on my fx35 wheels as a base layer then sprayed them with normal metallic paint on top. Still kept the peel-ability and the top layer was regular gloss metallic paint. I tried it temporarily to see if i wanted black wheels. Pretty easy and reversible if it goes wrong
Old 09-17-2016, 08:20 AM
cart7381
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had mine plasti dipped for over a year with glossifier. Every time I clean my car I use armorall extreme tire shine on them to gloss them up again. Be careful though some types of tire shine will eat the plasti dip. I also did a light coat on my tail lights.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Thanks Wise *** Ed. You know what meant...
At least I know how to use the search feature. A simple search for "plasti-dip" would turn up some of the many, many, MANY threads on the subject.

That chip on your shoulder is going to give you back problems. Might want to downsize it a bit, and get some thicker skin while you're at it. My original comment was a joke; get over it.

Geez....some people these days have no sense of humor....

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone try Plasti dip?

Old 09-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Rjwz2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
At least I know how to use the search feature. A simple search for "plasti-dip" would turn up some of the many, many, MANY threads on the subject.

That chip on your shoulder is going to give you back problems. Might want to downsize it a bit, and get some thicker skin while you're at it. My original comment was a joke; get over it.

Geez....some people these days have no sense of humor....
I got a great sense of humor btw. The thing is most people when they make jokes they say something after so we know you are joking and actually give a reasonable answer. And btw I thought forums were for people to ask questions to get information on their cars and not FAQs that you only can look up with no questions. I apologize for not knowing everything about the C5.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:55 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I apologize for not knowing everything about the C5.
This is the C6 forum....
Old 09-20-2016, 08:22 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Check out their web site. They have some great looking wheel kits. I do believe a few years back when it first hit teh market, the standard black did not go well as it did stay dull and would never make people say boy those look nice, but with all the new wheel kits they have I think you can get teh look you want.

Quick Reply: Anyone try Plasti dip?