C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try Plasti dip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 05:31 PM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

my oem wheels were chipped picked up some black and glossifier had it on the car 3-4 months just redid them yesterday. its a cheap fix until i buy some wheels. ive looked at some new types the have out that claim to have a more glossy coat like auto dip although it looks like it costs at least 2-3 times as much and im not sure of the quality.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Cchief
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had black plasti-dip on my Porsche Macan for over a year and used the glossifier which sucks, I get a lot of comments on the wheels and when I want them real glossy, I spray the tires and wheels with Mcquires tire shine which lasts a few weeks.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Calibur45
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had plastidipped my wheels at one point (05 GTO). The look was nice as it changed from silver to black, and it seemed to do a fairly good job of protecting the wheels from damage etc.

BUT

Removal was an absolute nightmare. The material has nearly baked in place and would not peal it off. Took me 2 days and lots of caustic chemicals and scrubbing to dissolve the junk off. Personally i would just recommend getting them powder coated instead. Yes it will be more initial investment but this is a much more permanent and stronger method.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:23 PM
dkz
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I use Anthracite plasti dip with some krylon rattle can clear coat. I have had it on for over a year now and some people think it's painted. Stays nice and shiny and is super easy to clean. I will probably redo them later this year as it's starting to fall apart.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Rjwz2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to everyone who has been replying to this thread. I think after seeing the results from various posts I'm confident that it looks pretty nice when applied correctly. I think I'm more concerned now about being able to remove it without damaging the wheel and doing it relatively easy. Rob.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:48 PM
dkz
Racer

Originally Posted by Rjwz2
Thanks to everyone who has been replying to this thread. I think after seeing the results from various posts I'm confident that it looks pretty nice when applied correctly. I think I'm more concerned now about being able to remove it without damaging the wheel and doing it relatively easy. Rob.
Thick layers help with removal, I used one can per wheel.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:00 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

A good soaking with WD40 and a microfiber towel with lots of WD40 will wipe plastidip off. It takes a little work but it's not that bad.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:55 PM
thelakeshow2k
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonSnow
easy to apply and take off, but looks absolutely LOUSY when brake dust gets on it, it turns a dreadful brown color and its annoying to remove due to texture at times, this is even when applying many coats of the glossifier. I dyno my car relatively often and when strapping down on the dyno it comes off due to the rubbing on the straps which is annoying especially when driving home

not a bad product but I'll just buy black rims next time
I just bought a c7 and heard that the factory brake pads are terrible when it comes to brake dust. wondering if you upgraded to ceramic pads. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:57 PM
thelakeshow2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dkz
I use Anthracite plasti dip with some krylon rattle can clear coat. I have had it on for over a year now and some people think it's painted. Stays nice and shiny and is super easy to clean. I will probably redo them later this year as it's starting to fall apart.

how do you clean wheels that are plasti dipped? any issues when removing lug bolts? thanks.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:59 PM
thelakeshow2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cchief
I have had black plasti-dip on my Porsche Macan for over a year and used the glossifier which sucks, I get a lot of comments on the wheels and when I want them real glossy, I spray the tires and wheels with Mcquires tire shine which lasts a few weeks.
can you elaborate on the glossifier. thanks.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by thelakeshow2k
how do you clean wheels that are plasti dipped? any issues when removing lug bolts? thanks.
Made for cleaning PlastiDip
NSF
Old 09-30-2016, 03:32 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by choppychop
A good soaking with WD40 and a microfiber towel with lots of WD40 will wipe plastidip off. It takes a little work but it's not that bad.
This worked for me as well.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:44 PM
06orangeZ51
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Dipped mine-it was fairly easy. Some folks have done it with the wheels on the car-I chose to remove them. Overspray onto the tires peels right off...couldn't be happier with the look. It's been on the wheels for three months now and haven't had any peeling issues what so ever.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:23 PM
dkz
Racer

Originally Posted by thelakeshow2k
well for me I use soap and water. The krylon fusion rattle can clear coat i have over the plasti dip also helps with cleaning. A Smooth surface is easier to clean than a rough rubber like surface. I still have the option to peel off the plasti dip if i decide I want a different color later. Do a search on youtube for "plasti dip krylon".

Lug nuts come off just fine.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:42 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If they're black you don't need to clean them.

Quick Reply: Anyone try Plasti dip?