C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:32 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by J Vette
AN UPDATE On The HOOKER BLACKHEART.

Day one - I took my wife for a ride. Mostly interstate with some back roads. It wasn't our typical back road fun. More like a ride to see friends. I used the paddle shift and also let the tranny do its automatic shifts. We are planning a 500 mile trip next weekend. So it was an effort to consider, Can we do 500 miles with these. To my surprise, my wife said nothing . No complaints. Like my OP, the Hookers calm down nicely at cruising speed 60-75mph. Theres still that very deep drone which is just a bit louder than cruising in my 1996 Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel.
When we got home and talked, we were both of the thought that it is on the cusp of being something we can enjoy a 500 mile trip. You do have to turn the music up just a bit. The conversations are still easy . So, with 25-50 miles on it, they are just on the cusp of not being desireable for long trips. But it won't take much to bring them in. Around town they are sweet. It sounds like a V8 engine and not like an outboard motor. The decel is muscular, not at all like you are choking a little girl which I have heard from some. The cruising drone is not as good as the stock. Not as good as the Corsa sport w/man tranny. But the Hookers aren't that far off. Thats with 50-70 miles on them.
NOTE. The top was up during the ride and the AC on.

Day Two Took a ride by myself. Top down. Curvy roads.
THIS is the way we usually drive this car. We are fortunate enough to live wher ther are some of the best roads you could want. People come here to ride these roads.
This was nice. Very nice. Nice DEEP rumble. Still loudest at 2500-3000 RPM. Decel still nice. Maybe not as much in quantity. But the quality is there. Deep, muscular. Back on 4 lane to get back home. 55-75 is getting better. On flat ground its pretty quiet. Then again, this was top down..

Back in town. A good ride on the twistys always makes me feel good. It was nice to go through the gears. Muscular tone. Deep. Gearing up too quickly would definitely alert any law enforcement around. Driving a bright yellow convertible in a small town is an alert as it bis. Fun is had going through the gears. Fourth gear at 45 mph is little or no drone. That is my choice gear in town where the speed limit is 45. But I can do 5th gear at 45-50 and still hear the motor. I like to hear the motor, especially in traffic. That allows me to know what I have to work with IF I get into a panic situation. Went home feeling good

Day 3 Went out by myself again. Top up this time. Windows down. Kinda like a little ride to clear my head at the end of the day. Around town driving for some time with speed limit at 45-50 mph. Some in town, some back road. Some interstate. Around town there is absolutely NO DOUBT. These are KEEPERS. It sounds like a V8. Deep. Nice decel. Get on her hard and you'll definitely draw attention. I made sure to hit the interstate so I can tell whether we are going to be able to take the Vette on our triip next week. . Got on the interstate. Roll up the windows, AC on. Jump on it a little hard on the on ramp. Why? Because its fun. I use my paddle shifter a lot. Going through the gears is fun. Especially when you have a tune as I do. Its a canned tune which I just reflashed with my InTune. DiabloSport tune (93 octane) with firm shift. Oh yeah baby. Hit the interstate at about 85 and let her come back down to 70mph which is the speed limit here. I had 8-10 miles back to my off ramp for home. Driving 70 in 6th. The drone is getting awfully close to the Corsa. Very deep constant sound in the background. There's never baeen any problem with a conversation. The music sounded a bit more clear cecause the low tone in the background is heard a little. But the music covers it very easily. And without the music, it is easily lived with IMO. The comparison to my diesel pickup now is that the 96 Dodge Cummins and the Corvette are about equal except the corvette sound is much deeper. I'm guessing these mufflers have about 125 miles on them now. There is more break in left. And these are headed in the right direction.

To say I was pleased is an understatement. There is not much press about these Hooker BlackHeart system. They are fairly new to the market (2 yrs). But Hooker is an old line company whose headers ruled to 60's and 70's. I took a chance on them At $ 800 and little or no drone when broke in, these are a steal. I have little doubt that as the name gets out more and their performance is talked about, these will go up in price to align with the other's like the BB PRT, Borla S2 and Corsa Sport.

We have a ride coming up this weekend. And a 500 mile trip coming up soon too. I'll update as necessary. But at this point, i'm feeling much more positive about the long trip with very little or, who knows, NO drone at Hwy cruising !!

Geez, I hit the preview and realized I'd written a short story. Hooker, If yer listening you owe me one.
But seriously, we Corvette people don't get many breaks with the Corvette tax. Install price was higher than I expected because GM said it was a 3 - 3 1/2 hr job for install. It was 1-1 1/2 hr. I didn't pay for 3-3 1/2 hr. But the scare cost me more than it shoud. Then too, if he had read the Hooker instructions, they were accurate. Another plus for Hooker. Don't let your installer look at his computer program. He'll be scared to death.
OK. end of rant on install price. I was anxious and paid for my anxiety. The install was done good though. Tips look good.

With the money saved, I bought the Diablo inTune and will flash to the 93 Octane and firm shift, just as you did. 👍🏻
Old 08-23-2017, 07:57 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Ive got about 3,000 miles on mine and still hating the loud tuning fork sound that rings my ear's at shift point's... And also think they have more rice burner sound than they do muscle.. I even got picked on by coworkers at shop. (Chrysler) ...
Start up and idle is great. but after that naaaa.. Ill most likely take them off... Only thing that went happy for me was me logging my tune and tuner tweaking it to get rid of some of the off gas gurgle as it was way to much..
Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK. Finally have an interior video with sound. But the size is too large to upload. So I'm kinda lost as to how to accomplish this.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:57 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by carls2004
Ive got about 3,000 miles on mine and still hating the loud tuning fork sound that rings my ear's at shift point's... And also think they have more rice burner sound than they do muscle.. I even got picked on by coworkers at shop. (Chrysler) ...
Start up and idle is great. but after that naaaa.. Ill most likely take them off... Only thing that went happy for me was me logging my tune and tuner tweaking it to get rid of some of the off gas gurgle as it was way to much..
Carl. I'm sorry they didn't work for you.
But the idea that they "have more rice burner sound than they do muscle" is easily dispelled in my post # 13 on page one which has a good Youtube video of this exhaust system in action on a C6.
The following users liked this post:
carls2004 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 12:02 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2006corvetteman
With the money saved, I bought the Diablo inTune and will flash to the 93 Octane and firm shift, just as you did. 👍🏻
You're gonna love that 93 octane & especially the firm shift.. I'm still planning on doing a custom tune to make it a little quicker shift and get a little more power and get the throttle lag fixed. The canned tune is well worth the $$$ IMO. I've had it on 2 different vehicles and never regretted it.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:41 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Carl. I'm sorry they didn't work for you.
But the idea that they "have more rice burner sound than they do muscle" is easily dispelled in my post # 13 on page one which has a good Youtube video of this exhaust system in action on a C6.
Wow ... I gotta have someone drive mine so i can here it... As the noise i complained about was one thing, But then when coworkers said rice burner when im leaving work turned me off bad. AND from inside mine it is hard to here that tone of what you posted...

Just a note.. That video was their NPP exhaust version if that makes a diff. compared to my NON npp

Last edited by carls2004; 08-24-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:19 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19
Default One must consider...

As this thread matures, it's always good to remember that there are lots of "opinions" mixed in with some facts... and that one person's cake is another person's Brussel Sprout! Everyone enjoy--and mod if necessary--to their own preferences and budgets... that's what is so cool about "cool cars."

With summer winding down... every Vette owner enjoy their ride!!
The following users liked this post:
MacsC6 (03-04-2020)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:04 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Wow ... I gotta have someone drive mine so i can here it... As the noise i complained about was one thing, But then when coworkers said rice burner when im leaving work turned me off bad. AND from inside mine it is hard to here that tone of what you posted...

Just a note.. That video was their NPP exhaust version if that makes a diff. compared to my NON npp
Carl. I have the advantage of being able to drop the top and hear the exhaust. Still, I understand what you are saying about wanting to hear it for yourself. I can hear it pretty good and can tell it doesn't sound like a ricer at all. At least mine doesn't. But I doubt yours does either. Maybe the coworkers are pulling your leg. I don't know. My neighbor calls mine the beast because the sound is so deep. He's a car guy too and used to own a Vette. It is perplexing to see Oly having to add sound proofing while I didn't.
EDIT, Carl I see you too have a convertible (Looks good too) You should be able to hear the sound with the top down, especially around town in the 45mph zones Then too I usually drive with my RPMs up. That puts me in 4th gear at 45mph. And I use my paddle shifters most of the time. FTR, I wouldn't want my car to sound like a ricer either. So I understand the concern.

Now about the video in post 13. I went and looked at the description on Youtube. It says

C6 Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust W/Muffler #2

HolleyPerformance
Published on Jan 19, 2016
SUBSCRIBE 41K
Tune in to the sound of Hooker Blackheart's latest axle-back exhaust system with mufflers for the C6 Corvette (non-ZO6). The baseline car we used for this test was a 2009 C6 Z-51 Automatic w/factory NPP exhaust.
Its a little misleading and I can see where you could believe they are using the NPP version of their mufflers. But notice they don't show you 2 different modes which they would do to market dual mode mufflers. More importantly, notice it says " w/factory NPP exhaust". IOW, it would seem that they removed the factory exhaust. I'd also note that was video #2. Here's video 1. Hope this helps

Last edited by J Vette; 08-25-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OlyC6
As this thread matures, it's always good to remember that there are lots of "opinions" mixed in with some facts... and that one person's cake is another person's Brussel Sprout! Everyone enjoy--and mod if necessary--to their own preferences and budgets... that's what is so cool about "cool cars."

With summer winding down... every Vette owner enjoy their ride!!
I've been told by our club mechanic that drone is the hardest thing to compare. One person will think it sounds fine and the other can't stand the drone.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:34 AM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

You're gonna love that 93 octane & especially the firm shift.. I'm still planning on doing a custom tune to make it a little quicker shift and get a little more power and get the throttle lag fixed. The canned tune is well worth the $$$ IMO. I've had it on 2 different vehicles and never regretted it.
Delivery is scheduled for today! Hope to get it installed over the weekend then drive a lot next week to get it settled in. I added a Vitesse about a year and a half ago to help with the throttle lag. Despite some of the threads here, mine has performed flawlessly. I would recommend you give it a try.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:45 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Delivery is scheduled for today! Hope to get it installed over the weekend then drive a lot next week to get it settled in. I added a Vitesse about a year and a half ago to help with the throttle lag. Despite some of the threads here, mine has performed flawlessly. I would recommend you give it a try.
I'm hoping the custom tune can help fix that issue. But I'm not sure. I want to put a CAI on mine before the tune but have been back and forth about cutting the shroud for better performance. One thing for sure is that nothing can be worse than the factory OEM air intake on the LS2. I'd like to put a ported intake manifold also since I keep hearing that it is the weak spot for the LS2. But I don't want to stray too far from stock.

BTW, Good luck with the install and break in. I'll be interested in your thoughts considering the varied results of Carl, Oly & myself. The 1st time you go thru the gears, 1, 2 & 3 at 2500-3000 RPM will seem like a torture test for your ears. Then 4th quiets down. I've tried to document my thoughts from the beginning. I thought I had made a BIG mistake. But now, I love the sound

Last edited by J Vette; 08-25-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:07 AM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

I'm hoping the custom tune can help fix that issue. But I'm not sure. I want to put a CAI on mine before the tune but have been back and forth about cutting the shroud for better performance. One thing for sure is that nothing can be worse than the factory OEM air intake on the LS2. I'd like to put a ported intake manifold also since I keep hearing that it is the weak spot for the LS2. But I don't want to stray too far from stock.

BTW, Good luck with the install and break in. I'll be interested in your thoughts considering the varied results of Carl, Oly & myself. The 1st time you go thru the gears, 1, 2 & 3 at 2500-3000 RPM will seem like a torture test for your ears. Then 4th quiets down. I've tried to document my thoughts from the beginning. I thought I had made a BIG mistake. But now, I love the sound
Sounds like a good plan. I think I'll be happy with the tune and exhaust, no further plans for anything else. Sorry for the confusion, the Diablo is coming today, weeks away from the exhaust.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:00 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Sounds like a good plan. I think I'll be happy with the tune and exhaust, no further plans for anything else. Sorry for the confusion, the Diablo is coming today, weeks away from the exhaust.
You will have some fun with the tuner....or, I should say, the results. You may have to update the tuner before installing the tune. Diablo Sport is a sponsor her so any trouble encountered is easily fixed. Their tech service is good and fast too if you need that. Instructions are pretty good.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:00 AM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

You will have some fun with the tuner....or, I should say, the results. You may have to update the tuner before installing the tune. Diablo Sport is a sponsor her so any trouble encountered is easily fixed. Their tech service is good and fast too if you need that. Instructions are pretty good.
I had my tuner tweak my tune that i logged and it helped out alot on the off the gas Gurgle.. Its still there but seems better with a little less.
Unless my already modified tune wasnt up to the task when i added the Hooker..
Old 08-26-2017, 02:41 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

I had my tuner tweak my tune that i logged and it helped out alot on the off the gas Gurgle.. Its still there but seems better with a little less.
Unless my already modified tune wasnt up to the task when i added the Hooker..
Carl. I'm so glad you are sticking with it. I'm sure its a battle when you are being pulled in different directions. The gurgle is definitely a choice that I can see some not liking. I'm alright with it but I've wondered about an X pipe taming it some. But, geez, they are pretty expensive for what you get IMO.
Have you rode with the top down or had anyone else drive your car while you listen? Also, did the tune help the tuning fork sound?
Old 08-26-2017, 03:27 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Carl. I'm so glad you are sticking with it. I'm sure its a battle when you are being pulled in different directions. The gurgle is definitely a choice that I can see some not liking. I'm alright with it but I've wondered about an X pipe taming it some. But, geez, they are pretty expensive for what you get IMO.
Have you rode with the top down or had anyone else drive your car while you listen? Also, did the tune help the tuning fork sound?
The tune did nothing for the ear ringing tuning fork sound as you approach shift point..... As for someone else driving car, i gotta put it on hold as ABS went out now and part of steering assist is gone because of that... Car is sitting in drive way until my disapoinment with it is better.
As per your X pipe wondering ,,, There is option of this low price unit Dynomax 56159. but you would need to spread the pipe at the end that meets the over the axle pipe as they are same size. Or one could add a collar ? and tac weld it and add band clamp..
I have one but found that out when i went to put it in...
They advertise it as Aluminized but ?????.. So i painted mine up pretty with silver exhaust paint... But like i said i never installed.. Would love to see someone add one of these as per results on sound...

Last edited by carls2004; 08-26-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:53 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

The tune did nothing for the ear ringing tuning fork sound as you approach shift point..... As for someone else driving car, i gotta put it on hold as ABS went out now and part of steering assist is gone because of that... Car is sitting in drive way until my disapoinment with it is better.
As per your X pipe wondering ,,, There is option of this low price unit Dynomax 56159. but you would need to spread the pipe at the end that meets the over the axle pipe as they are same size. Or one could add a collar ? and tac weld it and add band clamp..
I have one but found that out when i went to put it in...
They advertise it as Aluminized but ?????.. So i painted mine up pretty with silver exhaust paint... But like i said i never installed.. Would love to see someone add one of these as per results on sound...
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Thats never any fun. BTW, Thanks for the info

Get notified of new replies

To First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust

Old 08-28-2017, 06:49 AM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

You are right about the tech support. I emailed them Friday night at about 8 and had a reply in short order.

Did you ever try the hard shift TCM? If so, what did you think? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

You are right about the tech support. I emailed them Friday night at about 8 and had a reply in short order.

Did you ever try the hard shift TCM? If so, what did you think? Thanks.
No. Never tried hard shift. Firm seemed plenty hard when you are heavy on the throttle
Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Finally had the exhaust installed today. My first impressions are exactly the same as jvette. I’m hoping time and miles will help with the ringing/drone. Unfortunately, I’ll have to wait until spring as winter is coming soon to Ohio.

Quick Reply: First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust