C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:01 AM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do these work with the npp mild to wild switch as well
Old 06-02-2017, 07:34 PM
cb1980
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

the style I ordered doesn't, ultimately due to multiple I issues, I had to return mine. looking on the website though they do make an axle back kit that are for cars with NPP
Old 06-03-2017, 10:00 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I finally got my axle back in and installed today on my base 2006... It most likely is to early for me to give a review as the last 3 vette i had still were stock exhaust and i haven't rode in another c6 with aftermarket to give my input yet.
But just love the gurgle when off the gas coast down and shift down.... I had to do a quite a bit of tweaking to get exhaust all lined up .. Then the hooker plate that mounts between pipes was off alot... DUH they welded mounting point on the right pipe in the wrong location...But i think that hooker plate looks yuk for my taste... So im gonna cut and modify my original corvette plate that was on the car and mount somehow.... Far as i can tell if all is tight that hooker plate in the middle isn't really needed anyway...
Oh and if anyone feels they may want to buy this brand of exhaust..
Just make sure it is in stock... As hooker is awful on getting their products together and shipped..
Here is quick pic... but not very good.
Attached Images  

Last edited by carls2004; 06-03-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:27 AM
cb1980
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

looks good, happy to hear it worked out for you even with the issues you did have, mine has finally been picked up and just waiting on my refund now, then off to get something of better quality
Old 06-05-2017, 02:26 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Default Noise just before upshift.

Exhaust is on and i seem to be liking the sound ....
Only issue is when i hit the gas and the rpm rise to the shift point and then i get the ear piercing in my right ear like it is gonna start ringing..then veh shift's to next gear and its gone. Is this the dreaded drone that everyone complains about. ?????????????.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:40 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by Racer
Back in the day Hooker was THE header/exhaust to have, not sure about now...maybe.....
But they were HELL to install without jacking up the motor!

Tom
Old 06-05-2017, 02:43 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Iceman007
So can you install this exhaust without the hooker metal plate thing? I'm not too crazy bout that, looks kinda tacky I think.
I just installed my axle back,,, and i see know reason why you would have to use the hooker plate.... It doesn't seem to support much after correct install.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:52 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OlyC6
Thanks for the props on the write-up. I too think these are keepers and as stated before... quite the value. The sound deadening is for when I jump on the skinny pedal... there is a definite shrill sound that almost hurts my ears. (YMMV...) The TKO pads have definitely taken the edge off of that! And as you note, there is no "drone" (IMHO) so if there is any downside to the TKO pads, it's that the great sound at easy-cruising RPMs is a tad less. Solution? Put the top down!

Anyway, glad you like'em too. I've only got about 5K miles on the exhaust, so maybe with a bit more time and miles, the sound will mellow out a bit.
That shrill sound you mention is what i think im getting.. As i hit the gas and approach the next up shift my right ear is about to start a ringing... bells.. then the car shift and all the glory is back ....
Old 06-05-2017, 02:54 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TCW
But they were HELL to install without jacking up the motor!

Tom
I here ya... awwww memory's... Could be worse , Headman Header's...

Last edited by carls2004; 06-05-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:33 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by carls2004
That shrill sound you mention is what i think im getting.. As i hit the gas and approach the next up shift my right ear is about to start a ringing... bells.. then the car shift and all the glory is back ....
Sure sounds like it's the same thing. As mentioned, I added the TKO sound deadening mat in the trunk (of Vert) and the pads behind each seat. I don't know if that made the difference or if just "breaking-in" the mufflers happened over time & miles (or maybe combo of both), but I don't get (i.e., hear) that shrill high-pitched sound any more and I've tried to recreate.

All that said, a pretty minor thing since I'm not usually hammering the throttle. Went to a cars and coffee event this Saturday, and once again, as I'm rolling in... heads were turning and people drifting over to check it out.....
Old 06-06-2017, 01:18 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Sure sounds like it's the same thing. As mentioned, I added the TKO sound deadening mat in the trunk (of Vert) and the pads behind each seat. I don't know if that made the difference or if just "breaking-in" the mufflers happened over time & miles (or maybe combo of both), but I don't get (i.e., hear) that shrill high-pitched sound any more and I've tried to recreate.

All that said, a pretty minor thing since I'm not usually hammering the throttle. Went to a cars and coffee event this Saturday, and once again, as I'm rolling in... heads were turning and people drifting over to check it out.....
Thanks for the response..... THis saturday i suppose to meet local club in morning for small cruise to go have breakfast.. Nice group of guy's and gal's but ill never get any response from them with mine.. lol...
And about the noise,, im gonna play with it by trying a x pipe instead of the stock H pipe.. Ill let ya know how is sound's..Oh and my car also has a ECM AND TRANS Tune....

Last edited by carls2004; 06-06-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:39 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine have been on for a year now. I wouldn't trade them for anything else I have heard. I understand those who are talking about the extreme loudness at higher RPMs when new. I pointed this out in my OP. When I first left the muffler shop I thought my ears would bleed in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. $th gear settled down.
Now all but the mildest drone is gone. These mufflers sound great IMO. 60-70 mph in 6th gear gets the least drone which turning ion the music at normal volumes will over come.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:02 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J Vette
Mine have been on for a year now. I wouldn't trade them for anything else I have heard. I understand those who are talking about the extreme loudness at higher RPMs when new. I pointed this out in my OP. When I first left the muffler shop I thought my ears would bleed in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. $th gear settled down.
Now all but the mildest drone is gone. These mufflers sound great IMO. 60-70 mph in 6th gear gets the least drone which turning ion the music at normal volumes will over come.
And i was gonna take mine off..And do muffler mod to the stock one's.. Maybe i need to leave on for longer period.
That noise that i posted i have happens between 2000-3000 rpm as you approach the next shift then when car shifts up it is gone... Other member elsewhere describe it best..
LIKE A TUNING FORK.. And will ring your ears...
I did get back under car and cranked on exhaust clamps but it didnt help.. Local exhaust place said, since i did DRY install on pipes and clamp's i should loosen everything up and oil it and the clamp's while i tighten them and also maybe try diff clamps..
Old 07-14-2017, 09:04 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

And i was gonna take mine off..And do muffler mod to the stock one's.. Maybe i need to leave on for longer period.
That noise that i posted i have happens between 2000-3000 rpm as you approach the next shift then when car shifts up it is gone... Other member elsewhere describe it best..
I did get back under car and cranked on exhaust clamps but it didnt help.. Local exhaust place said, since i did DRY install on pipes and clamp's i should loosen everything up and oil it and the clamp's while i tighten them and also maybe try diff clamps..
It probably took 1k miles for mine to break in. Yes they will hurt your ears. Still are pretty loud when you first start up and gear up. After the car gets warmed up, all is well and I love the sound. My wife likes them too and we are not into really loud cars or motorcycles. These just sound good IMO.
My neighbor, (who used to own a Corvette) remarked on how they weren't so loud as they were very deep sound.
BTW, I use my paddle shifters most of the time. I drive 45mph mostly in 4th gear. 50 and above in 5th till I get to 60 in 6th.

Last edited by J Vette; 07-14-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Maybe i need to leave on for longer period. That noise that i posted i have happens between 2000-3000 rpm as you approach the next shift then when car shifts up it is gone... Other member elsewhere describe it best..
Hard to know what causes that high-pitched ringing sound... but in my case... it went away after a several hundred miles of use. In my lay opinion, some part of the assembly had to "break-in" or something... but now.. it is a really sweet sound.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Hard to know what causes that high-pitched ringing sound... but in my case... it went away after a several hundred miles of use. In my lay opinion, some part of the assembly had to "break-in" or something... but now.. it is a really sweet sound.
Ive been taking this system into consideration. But you guys talking about loud ear ringing and ear bleeding to break in isnt helping.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:29 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Originally Posted by Adam Cifonelli
Ive been taking this system into consideration. But you guys talking about loud ear ringing and ear bleeding to break in isnt helping.
In my case, it only happened at WOT... (which was only a few times -- no really!), not during daily driving with "spirited" acceleration!

Get notified of new replies

To First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust

Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

In my case, it only happened at WOT... (which was only a few times -- no really!), not during daily driving with "spirited" acceleration!
I WOT quite a bit.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:07 PM
2006corvetteman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

A lot of great info here fellas, thanks for taking the time to post. I just ordered a set, I guess we'll see how long they take to get here. If too long, may need to wait until spring for the install. If there are any updates or new info from new owners I'm sue we would all love to hear them. Thanks again for posting!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:29 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Fellas. I have an interior video of going through the gears and leveling out at about 70-75 in 6th. However, I can't get it off my phone. Don't know why Just another problem to deal with. I'll take the camera out soon and do a video with it. I can upload off the card with it.

Adam. You just have to be patient. 500 mile in the Vette isn't that much problem to do is it? Go back and read my OP. My car is stock. I added no insulation or anything like that. Just drove until they put a great big grin on my face.

Quick Reply: First Impressions Of Hooker Blackheart Axle Back Exhaust