C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob only works partially. Battery good.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:10 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fob only works partially. Battery good.

I have read a number of threads (sticky and otherwise) about the dreaded "no fob detected" message.

Here is my situation. The fob works fine to open the doors and trunk, and also works fine when inserted in the glovebox slot. Furthermore, it works fine to start and shut off the engine if I hold the fob an inch or two from the start button. However, it will not work any farther away than that, whether in or out of my pocket.

I have replaced the battery three times, with two different brands, but the problem persists. I also bent the contact tabs up, although I haven't yet tried bending in the three tabs that hold the battery. Could that be it? BTW, every time I open the fob, the battery holder pops loose, with the battery still inside. Is it supposed to be attached to the fob case? It seems to just sit loosely in its recess.

I can't believe it is just a weak battery, since I'm now on my fourth one, counting the original. I might take it to Radio Shack and have it tested, but wanted to ask here first.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:45 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

The antenna that verifies the valid fob for starting is in the glove box, so holding the fob near the start button doesn't quite make sense, unless the "inch or two" from the start button is close enough to the glove box to register. Have you tried pulling it away from the start button, but putting it closer to the antenna, rather than back or to the left?

If this works, it may be a step toward figuring out exactly what is going on.

Last edited by owc6; 08-03-2016 at 08:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
the kid C6 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 12:58 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Originally Posted by owc6
The antenna that verifies the valid fob for starting is in the glove box, so holding the fob near the start button doesn't quite make sense, unless the "inch or two" from the start button is close enough to the glove box to register. Have you tried pulling it away from the start button, but putting it closer to the antenna, rather than back or to the left?
Ah, I had forgotten that the receiver is not the start button. I'll give that a try next time I start the car (it's not my daily driver). Assuming that the fob will also work when placed near the glove box, do you have any idea what the trouble might be? If the battery is OK, I have to conclude that there is a loose connection somewhere in the fob, or that something in the car itself is not working properly.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:07 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Have you tried to use a different fob? That should tell you if it's a problem with the fob or with the car.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:09 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Have you tried another fob?

If you don't have a spare, you should get one anyway - and they're pretty cheap.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:22 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did indeed try the other fob, and the same thing happened. However, I only replaced the battery in fob #2 once.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:51 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

I think you can rule out the fobs. Either the car receiver/antenna(s) have a problem or something is generating interference. Have you tried removing every portable electronic gizmo from the car and your person? If you drive to another location, do you still have the problem?

Last edited by torquetube; 08-04-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
I think you can rule out the fobs. Either the car receiver/antenna(s) have a problem or something is generating interference. Have you tried removing every portable electronic gizmo from the car and your person? If you drive to another location, do you still have the problem?
Anything plugged into the two 12 volt outlets is an item to check. Also there may be something external to the car that is interfering...trying another location is a good idea for testing purposes.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:23 PM
vertigogo
Pro

It happens at various locations, but it does not happen all the time.

Makes me almost yearn for the old days and those metal keys.

Last edited by vertigogo; 08-04-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Bruze (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 09:25 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vertigogo

Makes me almost yearn for the old days and those metal keys.
Hush yo mouth!

Last edited by owc6; 08-04-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:36 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Hush yo mouth!
Heheh. The fobs are great when they work, but I never had this problem with my C2.
Bruze (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 09:50 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Make sure any cell phone, GPS, or other charges are unplugged from the cig lighter. My car would never detect a fob with my old TomTom plugged in.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by vertigogo
Heheh. The fobs are great when they work, but I never had this problem with my C2.
Fob upside: You don't have to take it out of your pocket

Downside: Another layer of electronic complexity that can go haywire at any moment and leave you stranded. The creed of the nerds: "We do it because we can."

Metal key upside: They work flawlessly and reliably for thousands and thousands of times.

Downside: You have to take it out of your pocket.

A question: How many posts are there on C5-6-7 forums about fob problems?

How many posts are there on older Vettes about key problems?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Perhaps, but I've had to replace the key assembly on more than a few cars over the years, some of which left me stranded. I've never been stranded due to the fob. I've been confused early on, but not stranded.

Old school is not necessarily better.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Perhaps, but I've had to replace the key assembly on more than a few cars over the years, some of which left me stranded. I've never been stranded due to the fob. I've been confused early on, but not stranded.

Old school is not necessarily better.
I agree.

The advantages of the following technologies should be obvious; the downsides, if any, are minimal:

Electric lights vs. candles and kerosene lamps.

Hot and cold water outlets at various places in the house vs. walking out to a well.

Indoor flush toilets vs. outhouses.

Traveling by car vs. traveling by horse.

Air conditioning.

Gas or electric cookstoves vs. wood cookstoves (especially in the summer).

TVs and computers vs. when they didn't exist.

Intermittent wipers.

Automatic headlights.

I could go on.

But electronic fobs over mechanical keys? From a general engineering standpoint, adding complexity to any system with little to no upside is to be avoided (complexity reduces reliability).

Old 08-04-2016, 11:19 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bruze
But electronic fobs over mechanical keys? From a general engineering standpoint, adding complexity to any system with little to no upside is to be avoided (complexity reduces reliability).
This is generally my attitude as well but the fob as implemented by GM has proven to be fantastic for me. I leave it in my pocket always and have auto-lock enabled. This means that the car operates like in the movies: get in and drive. Configured any other way, the fob really is pointless.

In some ways it's less complex. There are fewer moving parts. It's true that the radio and electronics systems lack the inspectability of a mechanical key, but then neither do any of the electronic interlocks that they've had to add to modern mechanical keys.

But the main draw is the reduction in operational complexity. Constantly producing and replacing a key from my pocket to prove to the car that I should be allowed in, and allowed to start the engine - that's a drag, especially when it's raining or my hands are full. I like how the fob just gets out of my way.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:25 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

What technology will bring us.

The millennials are taking over. Enjoy your Corvette while they're still legal.

Get notified of new replies

To Fob only works partially. Battery good.

Quick Reply: Fob only works partially. Battery good.