C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any owner of a C6 after driving a C7 find....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 04:50 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Default Any owner of a C6 after driving a C7 find....

.....that they would rather keep their present Vette? Sure we are always encouraged to buy the latest, greatest whatever. Have vettes become like the products of the electronics age that we must have the newest IPhone, flat screen TV, digital camera etc.? Personally the best thing about the C7 are the seats. I do think they are a great improvement, yet the rest of the interior leaves me cold. I think its more cramped and don't care for that digital dash, I'll keep my gauges thank you. Of course if I was offered a trade for a great price on the new Z06 I would take it in a NY minute. So, any one who has driven the C7 think it's that much better?
Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

You expect unbiased opinions while posting this in the C6 section?

I just bought my second C6 last Saturday. I tried the C7 but just didn't care for it as much. Something about the C6 just feels right to me.
The following users liked this post:
BrknWndC6 (09-21-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Tefer
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by DOOKEY
You expect unbiased opinions while posting this in the C6 section?

I just bought my second C6 last Saturday. I tried the C7 but just didn't care for it as much. Something about the C6 just feels right to me.
And that's zactly what all us c6 guys wana hear!
BrknWndC6 (09-21-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 05:32 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

When the C7 first came out, I would close my eyes and picture one in my garage. I would close my eyes again, and picture my '08 coupe with thirty thousand dollars next to it. I've driven C7's, and they're great; a generation ahead of my car. To me, I can't justify the cost to upgrade.
Amicon (09-19-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've had 2 C6's and bought my GS back in May so you know what I would say.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I test drove a Z51 because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It did nothing for me and with my '13 GS I feel can do anything that the C7 can do. It really felt no different than my GS. Plus no wide body at the time and that would be a deal breaker. Now the new GS looks cool but I like the C6 wide body better. Just my opinion.
carl3989 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:03 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Theres always the people that are gonna have to have the latest and greatest of everything. Corvettes included. And no matter whether the new model is actually better or not, they will continue to call it an upgrade. Just like you hear many in this forum state that they "upgraded" to a GS model. If a persons ride is kept up in good order and taken care of there is no such thing as an upgrade as all Corvettes are something special. I'd rather have a well kept C-6 than a ratted out C-7 any day....but just what the heck do I know....LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by windyC6:
BrknWndC6 (09-21-2016), carl3989 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 528 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
When the C7 first came out, I would close my eyes and picture one in my garage. I would close my eyes again, and picture my '08 coupe with thirty thousand dollars next to it. I've driven C7's, and they're great; a generation ahead of my car. To me, I can't justify the cost to upgrade.
Pretty much where I'm at. Haven't driven a C7 yet but most likely will
if they have test drives at the IMSA race at Road America in Aug.
I think I'm basically using the C7 idea as a reason to continue working.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:32 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989
Sure we are always encouraged to buy the latest, greatest whatever.
I take issue with that right there. Latest does not automatically coincide with greatest and vice versa.

I do find the C7 Grand Sport interesting from an engineering standpoint though. Right now however, I'm happy with the relative simplicity of my C6 GS.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:40 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I test drove a C7 last year. Might have bought it if it was the right color. The funny thing is, I liked everything about it except the seats. I thought the bolsters were too firm.

I have a lot of MODs on my C6 and I am happy with the set up. Even so, I will eventually sell and buy a C7. I am trying to hold out for another year or so. I want to see the C8 first but not sure I can wait that long.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:57 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Since the values of new Vettes tank pretty fast I'll wait until most of the depreciation is gone before I buy a C7. If you have money to burn however I guess it's o.k. to buy a C7. Financially, buying a used low mileage C6 makes better sense for now. And yes, I'm not much for the digital gauges either. They tried this before with the early C4's. The C7 gauges look better than the C4's, but it's still artificial electronic gauges which also can not be as accurate. Funny how those electronic gauges are made to look like traditional ones. Sometimes things are not learned from the past. Extra electronic gizmos might wow the buyer on the showroom floor, but in the long term with problems most likely not afterwards.
astaggs (07-29-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 PM
mikeyyyallday
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i love my c6, but when the time comes when the c7's prices are under 35k i might jus get one lol.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:32 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a C7, loved the comfort and technology of the interior. I think the C6 is the last of the Corvette iconic design. Wish I could swap the C7 interior in my C6.

The C7, looks like a transformer, a toy to me, that I quickly grew old with. I'm sure the C8 will be the same. I may get a C8 if it is different, iconic design and I have to have it. BUT, I'll still keep my C6 GS vert. Only gen I have not had is a c1, and I've been lurking around there considering adding one. All vettes are great, just some appeal to different folks in a different way.

At the end if the day, I'm glad the C7 is different and bold. It brought in new buyers to keep the brand alive.
carl3989 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,986 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

.....I'm saving up for a nice ZR1 somebody has been taking real good care of the last few years.........a year or two left before I can go shopping........as the prices keep dropping.....
Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

I am not buying a C7 for no reason other than I love my C6Z.

I remember when the C6Z was developed and released by GM it was an instant attraction. Wife and I drove our C5 Mag Red II vert up to Carlyle PA and attended the debut. It just felt like everything about Corvettes I fell in love with as a young boy reading the Hot Rod magazines was embodied in this car. The smooth body lines, the aggressive lowered stance, the wide hips, the race car pedigree and the iconic '427' all wrapped up in one, perfect package. I had to have this car!!

But, with a relatively young family, the $80K asking price was never going to happen. So, I kept my 04 Vert and patiently waited for the prices to fall. In that time, the kids grew up and moved out and the prices came down to what I felt was a good price for the car. Found a garage queen with stupidly low miles in the color and 2LZ package I wanted and she is now all mine with no bank liens.

I am completely satisfied with this C6Z. It is all I'll ever need in a sports car and when I am old and grizzled, my great grand kids will see it in my garage and stare in wide wonder at the relic under the car cover.

The C7 does none of this for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by SLOWRYDE:
carl3989 (07-28-2016), Landru (09-15-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Amicon
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I had and sold two C6s.....I am waiting for the 14 Vert AT to hit the mid thirties used, MAybe another year or two......I have the time. I don't care for the Coupe (too aggressive looking for my tastes) MY main issue with the C6 is I like tech and even a late model C6 has 12 year old tech in the car

I sold my 08 because I got $2500 More than I paid for it and thought I would take that $37K up to Kerbecks to look at the new 14,,, But the way these cars depreciate, the mid thirties seems to be the sweet spot for most low mileage models and mileage after a few years....So I will be looking at a 14 2LT Vert,

The new Fiat Spider has peaked my interest as well....for a car thats a ton of fun at legal speeds for less than $30K. My Vettes would come alive at illegal speeds....

Last edited by Amicon; 07-27-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:16 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
It is all I'll ever need in a sports car and when I am old and grizzled, my great grand kids will see it in my garage and stare in wide wonder at the relic under the car cover.

The C7 does none of this for me.
This is very well stated.

Here's my perspective... I chose a C6 over a C7, when I was shopping for a Vette. I'm the original owner of the twin turbo C5Z in my sig, and was selling a CTSV to add another Vette to the stable.

Drove a C7Z... expected it to be awesome, and it is truly a great car...an amazing car. I put it through its paces. I wasn't awestruck, but I wasn't on a track, either. I'm used to a 750hp, 3100lb car, so performance wise it was great, but it didn't blow me away. Interior was "updated" compared to the C6, and certainly way beyond my C5Z, but that is to be expected, right?

I'm middle-aged now, and don't _need_ all the gadgets. Honestly, they are lost on me. A decent working NAV is nice, but I don't do a ton of traveling, and if I need NAV, my phone works better than any car unit (unless it is updated every 3 months). The dash of the C7Z was cool, and being able to adjust it, I found that I liked the digital "analog" gauges, but honestly I prefer the C5 and C6 "real" analog gauges...and the ones GM gives me are plenty. I don't need to customize my dash layout to feel like I'm in tune with my car. Nothing wrong with any of that. New buyers are looking for a lot of that type of thing, so it is good GM offers that. But it does not make it _better_ for someone like me.

Seats in the C7 were great, but I fit very comfortably in the C5 and certainly a C6 3LT setup. I find the seats in my CE C6 fantastic.

What it boiled down to me was that I chose the best exterior design of the two... in my opinion. I strongly prefer the C6 widebody over the C7Z. So I found a mint, 8600 mile, Centennial GS already set up with a blower and ported heads, making right at 600rwhp. I purchased an A6 (would have gotten the A8 in the C7Z), since my C5Z is a manual. After 15 months of ownership, I do not regret my decision to purchase the C6 in the least.

For _me_... it is the right car when comparing the two. That's not dissing the C7, but when faced with a choice on which one to buy, I chose the C6. $$$ was not a factor in this particular purchase, either.

Last edited by WA 2 FST; 07-28-2016 at 12:16 AM.
carl3989 (07-28-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Any owner of a C6 after driving a C7 find....

Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 AM
RustyFox
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found that I loved the C7 every time I've driven it, and can't wait to move up to the next generation from my '09. But I won't move up to the C7 until the money makes sense and I find a used DSOM '14 or '15 that I can't pass up. I love my C6, it's everything I wanted, but the C7 is so much nicer.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:41 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Had a GS.Went to a 14 c7. Came back to the GS. There is some cool tech in the c7 like the HUD and REV MATCH. However,unless you get the CARBON FIBER option there is still plenty of cheap plastic to go around in that car even though the 3LT interior is much improved over previous years. As for the power,I didn't notice much of a difference at all.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 07-28-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:12 AM
watsonrb
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To me the Dif. in appearance, sharp lines as opposed to smooth round lines is the deal breaker. I do like the look of the newer models but I am so connected to my 11 GS 3LT. I am an old Air Force guy so its like comparing a P51 Mustang to an F35 Raptor. They are both appealing and super cool.

Quick Reply: Any owner of a C6 after driving a C7 find....