C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Successful Retrofit of Bluetooth to 2007 c6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 05:19 PM
Techmike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

been working on exterior ZR1 aero kit but also been working from schematics , identified all wires on VCIM and looking for them on radio harness. don't think you would have to run wires all over but just to back of radio. the microphone harness probably is in A-pillar but it's also present in the 24pin plug behind radio and the VCIM also has microphone input and output so wires would just need to be rerouted with a harness from behind radio and VCIM and back. But before I do that still looking for factory connection. Got this from ACDelco eBusiness Help desk "If they go to the repair procedure it will get them to where the module would be located. Typically any give away content for the harness would be in that general vicinity taped up in the harness." so will pull back carpet in cargo area open up harness if not there will look at harness next to passenger seat. Gotta believe it's somewhere if they offered it as a add on after build. but working on other things new carbon fiber steering wheel looks and feels good and radio controls work with Ray Kawala info on his website. so let me know if you find anything will let you know when I get back to it.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:20 PM
ptankersley
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techmike
been working on exterior ZR1 aero kit but also been working from schematics , identified all wires on VCIM and looking for them on radio harness. don't think you would have to run wires all over but just to back of radio. the microphone harness probably is in A-pillar but it's also present in the 24pin plug behind radio and the VCIM also has microphone input and output so wires would just need to be rerouted with a harness from behind radio and VCIM and back. But before I do that still looking for factory connection. Got this from ACDelco eBusiness Help desk "If they go to the repair procedure it will get them to where the module would be located. Typically any give away content for the harness would be in that general vicinity taped up in the harness." so will pull back carpet in cargo area open up harness if not there will look at harness next to passenger seat. Gotta believe it's somewhere if they offered it as a add on after build. but working on other things new carbon fiber steering wheel looks and feels good and radio controls work with Ray Kawala info on his website. so let me know if you find anything will let you know when I get back to it.
Mike,

I have resolved the issue with the microphone plug. It exists and I have pictures to show the exact location. That will solve the first issue we had. I plugged in the 2011 replacement microphone and used the voice commands out of a 2011 owners manual to get the command responses correct. Out of 20 tries only three did not work properly. I sent a message earlier this evening but am not sure it arrived. So, I am just paraphrasing it. One item I need from you anyone that has a C6 that you know can they make a location template of their A pillar so I can locate the microphone in the correct place. The last item that we need is an answer to the rear cvir plug in the back of the vehicle to finish our install.

Ptankersley@gmail.com (847) 207-1298

Hopefully we can get these items finished. Again, I have 5-6 photo to get the microphone installed. I also have the needed part number for the updated microphone and for the bezel that it drops into when mounted on the "A pillar".

If you call and I don't answer just leave a message and I will contact you back.

Thanks,

Peter Tankersley
Old 05-15-2022, 05:43 PM
Techmike
Advanced

what year corvette do you have/ did it have onstar
Old 05-15-2022, 05:53 PM
dave.f
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ptankersley
Mike,

I have resolved the issue with the microphone plug. It exists and I have pictures to show the exact location. That will solve the first issue we had. I plugged in the 2011 replacement microphone and used the voice commands out of a 2011 owners manual to get the command responses correct. Out of 20 tries only three did not work properly. I sent a message earlier this evening but am not sure it arrived. So, I am just paraphrasing it. One item I need from you anyone that has a C6 that you know can they make a location template of their A pillar so I can locate the microphone in the correct place. The last item that we need is an answer to the rear cvir plug in the back of the vehicle to finish our install.

Ptankersley@gmail.com (847) 207-1298

Hopefully we can get these items finished. Again, I have 5-6 photo to get the microphone installed. I also have the needed part number for the updated microphone and for the bezel that it drops into when mounted on the "A pillar".

If you call and I don't answer just leave a message and I will contact you back.

Thanks,

Peter Tankersley

My 07 has the mic in the A pillar, it came through from the factory with XM and nav so it has voice controls, but no OnStar. I searched the back of the car, pulled the carpet trying to find the VCIM harness but came up empty, I looked under passenger seat where Ray found his in his Z06, but without pulling the seat, again empty. I was thinking along the same lines as Mike, main harness would make sense to be common, holding off on unwanted or unordered equipment, especially since it has the mic. I upgraded my steering wheel, both sets of buttons work, not correctly, but they function and control the aftermarket radio that's in there now, I found that to be promising. I used Rays harness to connect the USB and aux connector in the new console, USB works but the aftermarket plug does not have anything on the other side to connect the aux input to, they dead end at the factory connector. I am still interested in this, and hoping you guys come up with a solution.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2022, 06:25 PM
ptankersley
Heel & Toe

Thank you very much for the information.It seems like yours came with the microphone installed from the factory. My car was loaded with xm radio and navigation so according to my research it should have all necessary harnesses.

If your's was factory installed could you take some measurements of the placement of the microphone so I can mount mine and get that project out of the way.In the next several weeks I will pull up the back carpet and see what I can find for a VCIM harness.

I believe that both our vehicle should be the same with their respective equipment. I have one more question how do you identify the correct clock spring? I have been told all 2007's have the new clock spring but I read several blogs where the 2007 had the old style clock spring. Can you give me some way to identify the correct clock spring. Someone may have posted the differences and I may have missed it.

Thanks for your help.

Pete
Old 05-15-2022, 07:01 PM
dave.f
Intermediate

Thank you very much for the information.It seems like yours came with the microphone installed from the factory. My car was loaded with xm radio and navigation so according to my research it should have all necessary harnesses.

If your's was factory installed could you take some measurements of the placement of the microphone so I can mount mine and get that project out of the way.In the next several weeks I will pull up the back carpet and see what I can find for a VCIM harness.

I believe that both our vehicle should be the same with their respective equipment. I have one more question how do you identify the correct clock spring? I have been told all 2007's have the new clock spring but I read several blogs where the 2007 had the old style clock spring. Can you give me some way to identify the correct clock spring. Someone may have posted the differences and I may have missed it.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Not the best pic, center is a couple inches down from the windshield header. My car had the steering wheel audio controls from the factory, do it had the correct clock spring. The buttons all work off the same wire, so the new 12/13 wheel I put in had the voice buttons, but they don't control voice options, just radio functions.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:58 PM
ptankersley
Heel & Toe

Hello Mike,

I think we are finally in the same boat. I found the microphone connector near the drivers side visor. I have installed the new steering wheel and everything seems to be working correctly. The last piece of the puzzle is the VCIM harness so the VCIM can be hooked up and bluetooth should work for phone calls. Have there been any recent updates regarding making jumper harnesses or has someone located the three harnesses? I have pulled the carpeting up from the rear cargo area and there is nothing back there. I am guessing that the vcim harnesses may exist behind the glove box but I have not been able to confirm due to being out of state right now and not near the corvette. If you have pictures of the three harnesses and where they are hidden I would be very appreciative. I believe the harnesses should be there with the option level vehicle that I have. Let me know if any progress has been achieved in resolving this issue. .

Thank you,

Pete

Old 06-07-2022, 12:15 AM
Techmike
Advanced

I have 06 with 3LT opt. but car didn't come with on-star now the guy for from AC Delco Help desk wrote "look for harness in location of VCIM" I looked all over, had interior out to install DMAX sound proofing, looked under dash, behind glove box, under pass-side seat and in my car it was in the pass side cubby box in rear didn't find all I could think of is that the harness wires are wrapped loose in the main trunk running along pass- side. so the next two things I'm doing is open main harness next to passenger seat and finish looking at schematics to see if all the connections we need are located in the radio harnesses to make harness. but right now taking a little break just finished putting ZR1 ground effects on. will let you know if I make any progress
The following users liked this post:
ptankersley (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 04:13 PM
ptankersley
Heel & Toe

I have 06 with 3LT opt. but car didn't come with on-star now the guy for from AC Delco Help desk wrote "look for harness in location of VCIM" I looked all over, had interior out to install DMAX sound proofing, looked under dash, behind glove box, under pass-side seat and in my car it was in the pass side cubby box in rear didn't find all I could think of is that the harness wires are wrapped loose in the main trunk running along pass- side. so the next two things I'm doing is open main harness next to passenger seat and finish looking at schematics to see if all the connections we need are located in the radio harnesses to make harness. but right now taking a little break just finished putting ZR1 ground effects on. will let you know if I make any progress
Mike,

Seems like you are getting somewhere. Hopefully it is the answer that maybe 25 owners at this time have been waiting for how to get factory hands free cell phone. Keep me posted.

Pete
Old 06-07-2022, 04:55 PM
dave.f
Intermediate

I installed a new Kenwood head unit in my car a couple weeks back, I was under the dash running power and video wires to my new rear camera and found this plug clipped next to the factory Bose amp, not sure what it goes to, but could be one of the missing VCIM connectors?

Old 06-09-2022, 09:52 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dave.f
I installed a new Kenwood head unit in my car a couple weeks back, I was under the dash running power and video wires to my new rear camera and found this plug clipped next to the factory Bose amp, not sure what it goes to, but could be one of the missing VCIM connectors?

That looks like a Splice Pack to me. Here is SP205 for the left side of the car:

If I remember correctly, SP206 is on the right side of the car. A splice pack is where a number of Class 2 Serial Date circuits are spliced together.

For your VCIM location project, I'm guessing those cars without Onstar have a different harness that doesn't include the VCIM wiring and connectors. I'd recommend getting hold of a Service Manual and looking carefully at the circuits for cars with and without Onstar. I'm guessing that you'll have to pick up the VCIM circuit sources in other locations and splice into them to wire the VCIM. I don't know this for sure, and I hope you might find a harness for the VCIM, but I'm guessing it's just not there.

Ray
Old 07-14-2022, 11:58 AM
ptankersley
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by trayc6
Hello All,
I would like to report that I have successfully retrofitted my 2007 c6 Corvette with OEM bluetooth capability. Thanks to this forum, and most notably, Lee Cromwell, Kent1999, Ray Kawal, and Dcasole for their input, suggestions, and comprehensive posts, I was able to research, disseminate the information, and proceed with my retrofit in a more confident manner. So, anyone out there still thinking that it can't be done, well I'm here to tell you that it can be done, provided that you have the correct parts. You will need a 2007+ clockspring, 2011-13 Nav radio, SWC (audio and bluetooth), and the most important, and difficult to find, 2009+ OnStar module with bluetooth (thanks Kent1999). Now GM may make the OnStar bluetooth module for other vehicles that might work in the Corvette, but that I don't know that for sure. I was lucky enough to find a unit out of a 2010 Corvette z06. The wire harness plugs were the same, (thank God), and no dealer reprogramming was necessary. Also, on the SWC, make sure, if you are retrofitting those controls into your current steering wheel, (like I did), you have the controls with the 5 pin connections on them (thanks Lee Cromwell). I also installed the center console with USB and Aux ports. You may not need to have the center console installed to have Bluetooth, but since I was upgrading my radio, I wanted to have the feature of iPod control and optional connectivity for any source of media I chose to listen to. As Ray Kawal mentioned in his posting about the newer Nav radios interface being better than previous Nav radios, he was truly correct! I love being able to search, and control my iPod while seeing the song information readily. The only thing I have left to upgrade is the A-pillar microphone. On the calls that I have made from the car so far, people have said they can hear me clearly with the current 2007 microphone. But, since I have the upgrade bug, I will change it to the newer model microphone soon. Good luck to anyone wanting to do this mod. You will enjoy it, and the best part is that it is all OEM!
Hello Tracy,

Finally I am back in Florida for about a month. Have you discovered anything new regarding the On-Star module and the hands free phone hookup? If I remember right you were going to explore further as to where the On-Star plugs are located for a non On-Star vehicle.

Thank you,

Peter Tankersley
Old 07-14-2022, 12:44 PM
Techmike
Advanced

Hello Tracy,

Finally I am back in Florida for about a month. Have you discovered anything new regarding the On-Star module and the hands free phone hookup? If I remember right you were going to explore further as to where the On-Star plugs are located for a non On-Star vehicle.

Thank you,

Peter Tankersley
glad to hear you got it working I've been at a stand still all summer.I have and installed all the parts you mentioned 2009 radio steering wheel clock spring everything works have 2010 VCIM module just have to hook that up. Did your car come with the onstar? mine didn't thats my problem connecting VCIM did you have connections for it?
Old 10-19-2022, 07:33 PM
ptankersley
Heel & Toe

Default Hands free phone - c6 - vcim adapter

Good Evening,

Any progress on the wiring and the jumper plugs that need to be made to make the hands free work. Let me know how far you got.

Thanks,

Pete Tankersley
Old 10-19-2022, 10:09 PM
Techmike
Advanced

Good Evening,

Any progress on the wiring and the jumper plugs that need to be made to make the hands free work. Let me know how far you got.

Thanks,

Pete Tankersley
haven't done anything but last week started looking at the diagrams again thought I found where harness is buried for on star, took car apart wasn't there. can't believe they made 2 main harnesses for car, so back to the wiring diagrams see if I can get all connections but was going to wait for Ray Kawal to get back from vac in nov. to see if he thinks it would work. So no progress yet but still thinking
Old 10-20-2022, 11:56 AM
ptankersley
Heel & Toe

haven't done anything but last week started looking at the diagrams again thought I found where harness is buried for on star, took car apart wasn't there. can't believe they made 2 main harnesses for car, so back to the wiring diagrams see if I can get all connections but was going to wait for Ray Kawal to get back from vac in nov. to see if he thinks it would work. So no progress yet but still thinking

Techmike,

I started looking this week for the harness. No luck yet. I cannot believe that there are two main harnesses. The wiring diagrams don't indicate two different main harnesses. My last text on the site was just before Ray left on vacation. He seemed pretty confident that a jumper harness could be made to enable the phone feature once all the inputs were identified. I will be pulling the lower kick panel and fuse block tomorrow to see if any harness is taped off that would be the one we are looking for. I will keep you posted.

Pete
Old 10-20-2022, 07:22 PM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I cannot believe that there are two main harnesses.
I think there are at least three wiring harness variants; some coupes have the onstar module in the right/passenger rear cubby in the hatch area. The Z06 puts the battery there and the onstar module is under the right/passenger seat. I believe convertibles have it in the right/passenger kick panel.

Get notified of new replies

To Successful Retrofit of Bluetooth to 2007 c6 Corvette

Old 11-16-2022, 09:45 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I think Leres is right, and I'm guessing that there is a harness for the no Onstar Vettes as well.

In 2005, all C6's (I think) had harnesses that included the wiring for XM, whether or not XM was ordered. In 2006 and 2007, there was no wiring for XM unless XM was ordered. In 2008 and later, all Vettes had XM as standard. But the point is GM found it profitable to change the main harnesses and eliminate the wiring for something as simple as an XM receiver. So it seems likely that no Onstar Vettes also had a different wiring harness than Onstar equipped Vettes. I'm guessing you guys with no Onstar Vettes won't find Onstar connectors anywhere.

But this doesn't mean that Onstar can't be added. The trick is to find the easiest place to tie into the wiring and provide the connections for Onstar. I'm thinking it can be done, but it will take some work and experimenting. I just returned home from out of the country for quite a while, so I'm tied up for the next few months. But it's still on my list to work on this project. I've got a friend back in North Carolina who has an '07 coupe without Onstar. I might enlist his help as well.

One of the problems is that there are very few C6 owners who don't have Onstar who are interested in adding the factory Bluetooth. A couple of guys on this forum at least, but not many. Lots of guys upgrade their radios to the new USB Nav radios, but that's pretty easy. Adding factory Bluetooth is nice, but it's only for handfree calling. Most owners also want Bluetooth music streaming and the factory Bluetooth won't do that. I really like the factory Bluetooth, but it was simple for me because I had Onstar. Hang in there though, or get yourselves some Service Manuals and start studying them. It's impossible without the Service Manuals.

Ray
Old 11-16-2022, 09:55 PM
Techmike
Advanced

was going to contact you, I agree the connections are there. was working with diagrams I got and think all the connections were in the radio head connector. In the process of making diagram. Will email you
Old 03-30-2023, 03:15 PM
TimboC6
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So…. Did you ever find the “hidden” connections ?

was going to contact you, I agree the connections are there. was working with diagrams I got and think all the connections were in the radio head connector. In the process of making diagram. Will email you
I recently emailed Ray myself about similar yet different scenario. My 08 2LT has Onstar and but no Bluetooth on the VCIM. So I purchased one from an out of a 2010 Vette with Bluetooth. Anyways ti make a long story short my car has no J3 plug in to attach to the VCIM. That’s where the voice rec inputs are. So I guess I’m going have to run my own wires in order to just get Bluetooth calling. Probably not going to do this. The Bluetooth streaming options are so easy these days I’ll just go with a transmitter instead in the cigarette lighter. 👍

Quick Reply: Successful Retrofit of Bluetooth to 2007 c6 Corvette