C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from a 2008 c6 corvette to a 2015 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:56 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Good luck deciding what you want.

I vote for the corvette but what would expect on a corvette forum..
Old 06-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Jordan452
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sunburstLS3
Ya gotta wheel n' deal. Deals can always be made. If it was myself, and the dealership was fairly certain it was a fuel pump for example, but was going to cost $3K to repair, I'd see if I could trade that vette for a slightly newer one at that dealership, or maybe they could find you one too. They would be confident they could repair your vette. So they could take it off your hands for you, you'd take a tiny hit in trade-in value, and then maybe they'd give you a good discount off the sales price of the newer vette. Everyone comes out a winner!

Otherwise, your options become either paying $3K out of pocket to fix something, taking a big hit on trade-in value if you try to trade it somewhere else, or trying to trade it in somewhere else but not mentioning the gas smell <---not good, dishonest.

Wheel n' deal! Take advantage of a bad situation and turn it into a good one. The dealership can absorb their own cost of repairing something, plus they could move another vehicle to sell, get you near full price for your trade-in, discount on newer vette. Pitch these ideas to a dealer, used saleperson. They'll work for ya because they want to constantly move inventory, make numbers, and deals! Your vette is also arctic white!! Those are rare! It might sell easier. Tell the dealership that, they'd want to make a deal.
The only way I'll sell it myself is if I get it fixed, i won't sell a defective car I won't even feel right if i did that lol. Plus I have to make sure that my baby is in good hands and good shape if we part. Even if I do part from my vette it won't mean that down the road I won't get another, it's just the experience of this one kinda soured me. I LOVE corvettes I'll take a new one anyday if only I had the money for a new z06 seriously though I think since this is my only car I drive I think I need a newer car with a real warranty so I won't have to worry about it so I might just get the mustang cause I can get one for a really good price. She will be missed though I wonder since I have the only ls3 around my area,( the rest are ls2s and older models), how would a 15 5.0 stack against a c6 ls2 base?
Old 06-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

The reason they mfg all different kinds is so we can have what we want. A cat needs to drive what he likes and like what he drives.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I will add that while I have nothing against a Mustang for me to pay for one it would have to be a 70 Mach 1 or Boss... Newer it would have to be a Shelby.. Anything less just doesn't raise my heart rate but then again my first post applies to each individual.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:31 PM
Mavrick1
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wwwFLA
You are right, get the 'stang.
Good luck and good by.

Bye Felicia!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:06 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

you would look good in a Prius !!
Old 07-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Jman28
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys the update as promised, I believe we found the problem, on YouTube if you look up gas smell explained, EVERY SINGLE problem the guy had with his car is EXACTLY the same as mine. It's like a hairline fracture in the fuel pump. Also, yesterday I drove a mustang gt 2016 and I swear, compared to my vette, it wasn't even a comparison. I really think that they missed the mark, it was TOO quiet, even if u put the windows down it still was about the same. The interior wasn't really better than my vette cause I have an after market pioneer navigation screen that came installed when I got the car, also with magnaflows. The ride is...... interesting. Yeah sure, the ride with the IRS is a little bit softer than my sisters 14 5.0 BUT It's almost like they was trying to make it like a bmw or something. I would take the 14 over the 15 or 16 any day of the week . Also, going around town it didn't get NEARLY as much looks as my vette, people barely even acknowledged it when I first drove off the lot with my car(in my area a corvette is like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini in Florida) people was snapping necks lol. It didn't sit like a sport car at ALL, it was kinda like my 535i but with a v8 I came to my senses, the mustang hadNOTHING on my corvette
Old 07-03-2016, 11:42 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

If you care about the "go fast" feel in a car,the MUSTANG GT ain't gonna cut it. It big and heavy,just like the Camaro.You step on the gas and it's like nothing happens...compared to the Vette. That's not a biased opinion.I like the Stang too but I'd have to get a 600 hp one to compensate for the weight disadvantage it has compared to the Corvette.I've driven bot the GT and the Camaro. I'm talking about the Camaro of last gen and a GT with 300 HP.The New Stangs with the 420 HP are ok but not as fast as the Vette. I don't know squat about the gas issue.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 07-03-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Jman28
Cruising

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
If you care about the "go fast" feel in a car,the MUSTANG GT ain't gonna cut it. It big and heavy,just like the Camaro.You step on the gas and it's like nothing happens...compared to the Vette. That's not a biased opinion.I like the Stang too but I'd have to get a 600 hp one to compensate for the weight disadvantage it has compared to the Corvette.I've driven bot the GT and the Camaro. I'm talking about the Camaro of last gen and a GT with 300 HP.The New Stangs with the 420 HP are ok but not as fast as the Vette. I don't know squat about the gas issue.
what year model corvette u have, I'll put a link out
Old 07-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Jman28
Cruising

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
And you are right about that, the corvette is a different feeling all together. Maybe if I was coming from something like a Mercedes or luxury car then MAYBE, but honesty I like the 14 mustang better. The whole time I was driving the car it was honesty pretty boring, i didn't get excited in the least bit lol. As soon as I stepped back into the vette I was home. And lol I would still take a corvette stock rather than the 600 hp mustang. Well..... A second DD then I'll take it
Old 07-03-2016, 03:05 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

what year model corvette u have, I'll put a link out
Now I have a 2013 GS.6 SPEED MANUAL.I had an 08 when I drove the Camaro with the same motor and I drove an 07 GT Mustang too.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Jordan452
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

Ok guys to good news, the car is fixed now. Now what if the problem was is that we couldn't find a shop to go to that could find the problem, but in Jackson ms it is a Chevy dealership called herrin and gear Chevrolet and I'll tell u, driving those 2 hours there was well worth it. Actually, they found a HOLE in the tank. Also the fuel pump was cracked, hairline fractures. They replaced the crossover pipe also and the smell stopped. The car was gone for almost three weeks but it's worth the wait. Now I have plans for the car to make it even better and make up the lost time thanks guys for the support and fellow vette guys are awesome because I have a older friend that stays down the road from me and he has an 05 c6 and we talked and talked about the cars and when I told him I was looking to sell, did everything he could to talk me out of it lol. I test drove a mustang(idk if I already said this) and compared to the vette it felt....... Wayyyy too normal. I said no way I gotta get my baby fixed. thanks guys and have a good day
Old 07-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Dave502
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Get the Mustang!!!!....Life is all about trying different things....That's kinda like keeping your wife for the rest of your life....You got to be Crazy!!!!....
Old 07-25-2016, 12:50 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

I can't blame you. The GM service system is hit or miss depending on your dealer. The Mustangs are nice, fast cars. They are not Vettes. But, may fit your needs better than an eight year old Vette. Good Luck.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:30 PM
stew1100
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you got your car fixed. This is a good example to go by. The car is covered by the warrantee, the dealer did not fix it right the first time. Never go back to a dealer who not only does not fix I,t but also tells you not to go to anyone else. They do not know what they are doing and they don't want anyone else to know.

If you are looking for a car with a back seat, you do not want a mustang or a Camaro. The back seat in both of those cars are a joke. Even if your kids fit, it is a pain in the azz to put them in a car seat in the back.

Keep the vette for obvious reasons and get a mid size car for the family. You will be much happier.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Hans D
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan452
Ok guys I need help asap. I've owned my c6 corvette base for a year and I ran into a problem. It started smelling like gas and we took it to the nearest dealership to get it fixed and they would charge us to fix it but the problem would still be there. After three times we really got tired of bringing it to them and I started looking at a 2015 mustang 5.0 or a 15 Camaro ss or even a challenger or charger (like a 2012 cause that's around my price range and don't want a r/t. The service was VERY poor so I don't really want a Chevy anymore. GM or whatever idk is gonna call us soon to tell talk about it to us. U guys probably heard of the problem of a gas smell cause I seen some people complaining. I just want to get rid of it so I'm looking at like it said above a 15 gt. What do u guys think? I haven't test drove a 15 gt but my sister has a 14 mustang gt and it's pretty good. The vette was my daily driver and this mustang will be too. I believe I will miss the vette but what do u guys think cause I really still want to pull the trigger on a stang. Thanks. still love corvettes but any thoughts would be appreciated don't want this to become a boxing match lol
I read about this problem a while back. Besides some component actually leaking gas, the easiest suggestion was NOT to fill the tanks too full. When the gas pump kicks off the first time STOP there. Worked in my situation. Good luck either way.

Last edited by Hans D; 07-25-2016 at 02:45 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Ben101er
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Kidding aside. You have to do what you think is best. If you can't get your problem resolved, and a Mustang scratches your itch, then go for it. I like the 15 Mustang a whole lot better than the 16. If you look at a 16, from the front, if you could add whiskers to either side, it would look just like a catfish.

Last edited by Ben101er; 07-25-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Going from a 2008 c6 corvette to a 2015 mustang gt

Old 07-25-2016, 03:01 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Read this - it just came out

http://www.holmesontherange.com/15682%20Bulletin-1.pdf
Old 07-25-2016, 03:06 PM
magneticred99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ben101er
If you can't get your problem resolved, and a Mustang scratches your itch, then go for it. I like the 15 Mustang a whole lot better than the 16. If you look at a 16, from the front, if you could add whiskers to either side, it would look just like a catfish.
The '15 and '16's are the same. The '14s were the last year of the last generation. I currently have a '16 GT premium after trading in my '14 GT which I had along side my C5 until I ultimately sold it due to constant maintenance issues with the Vette. You don't want a '14. The S550's are much more refined and handle a helluva lot better.

FYI, was in line to purchase an '08 C6 a few months back before purchasing the Stang. They were about the same price, so I ultimately went with the new car with a full warranty. Somebody mentioned it, but the Mustang's don't have quite as much of a "sports car" feel as the Vette. It can be extremely docile around town shifting under 3k, but it really wakes up after that.

Both are great cars, but each has a different mission. The Mustang makes a much better year round DD in Michigan. The Corvette was a bit more fun to drive. For the price, a used C6 and a new GT are about the same...depends what fits your lifestyle better.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:54 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

I've got a GMPP policy and it does not restrict me to a certain dealership for coverage.

Quick Reply: Going from a 2008 c6 corvette to a 2015 mustang gt