C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Air Bag Special Coverage Program

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:55 AM
mch28
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was completely severed about 3 years ago. Soldered and shrink tubed the wires back together and tied everything up out of the way.

Last edited by mch28; 06-15-2016 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:16 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Wow....
Old 06-15-2016, 09:43 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I noticed that too. So what happens with the 05? It can have the same problem and is already beyond the 10 year point.
Thats my situation. Kinda sucks but what can you do. I'd rather not have the dealer touch my car anyways.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:10 PM
littlewinepress
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag Light

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Anyone else receive the letter from GM? It's about the connector under the seat that comes loose and gives the air bag alarm.
Most people have just tie wrapped the connector tightly to prevent it from happening.

I guess GM must of start getting a lot of complaints about it.

I'm sorry if this has previously been posted.

2007 Z06 8500 miles - I also got the letter. The airbag light has been intermittent but now on more nearly always. If you cycle the drivers seat back fully, it sometimes goes out but often then just comes back on. I took it in to the dealer. Initially they seemed clueless of the condition. After a 2.5 hour wait, service advisor came back and said you will have to leave the car for a day and the "wiring harness" under the seat would need to be replaced and to do this the seat has to come out. Then a half hour later, when gathering the car, he proceeds to tell me that the service bulletin #15643 indicates that the condition is due to a bad pin contact in the connector under the seat. Their repair instructions are to simply cut off the male / female connector and solder on spade connectors and use shrink tube insulation to prevent shorting. Of course, disable airbag before repair. I could not wait any longer so I just took the car and will have to address this later. The dealer made a note in the file against the VIN# that I have been advised of the condition and it may result in a fatal condition should a crash occur and the airbag not deploy. (Seems like the lawyers have trained the service advisors well.)
Fix seems to be the path of least resistance, not replacing the harness or connector. Shade tree mechanic fix. But don't screw up the airbag.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:55 PM
littlewinepress
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Bag Light continued

Looking at the yellow connector under the driver's seat, it is tied to a cross bar but is somewhat loose. If you adjust your seat low to the floor and have your setting such that the seat goes back all the way for entry & exit automatically when the emergency brake is engaged, their appears to be more likely that the connector and the wires are pulled along the carpet and must bind up. I like others on this post cinched up the connector with a wire tie, positioned the connector higher on the cross bar as to not drag on the carpet and pushed each of the wires in and out of both sides of the connector best I could working under the seat from the back. Now light is out. Will see if it stays out or comes back.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:37 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I''m going to say it plain and simple, again, this is should be a safety recall. It involves the airbag system.

Which should cover each and every C6, regardless of miles or years!
Old 06-18-2016, 04:34 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I''m going to say it plain and simple, again, this is should be a safety recall. It involves the airbag system.

Which should cover each and every C6, regardless of miles or years!

Along with the Harmonic Balancer, again a safety issue (to a lesser degree) with possibly loosing your power steering when a belt gets tossed while driving and/or your braking power if the engine quits ...

Last edited by extrapilot; 06-18-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:19 PM
RyaneC
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So did anyone get the repair done out of pocket?

I bought my 2005 2 months ago. So I purchased it out of warranty. It had a broken zip tie on it when I finally read about an tracked down the problem. I hit it with some electrical connector cleaner and re-applied a ziptie. Two weeks later it was doing it again. Don't understand why it's a TSB and not a recall. I guess not enough folks have died yet since the airbag didn't deploy.

I too am curious about the cost of fixing the problem out of pocket. Because yes, I'm dealing with the shifter issue now too... Sigh. And I thought buying a Corvette would get me away from piddly stupid GM problems...
Old 07-20-2016, 11:43 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

I got my letter two weeks ago. Light comes on if I use the seat memory option to exit and enter. I turned that option off and the light don't come on anymore. No one drives the car but me so I may take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Service Air Bag Special Coverage Program