C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inserting Nav disc and still get msg Please insert Nav Disc!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:03 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Inserting Nav disc and still get msg Please insert Nav Disc!

I insert the nav disc and the msg comes up please insert Navigation disc. Tried both slots! same msg, Any ideas on what is going wrong?
Old 05-24-2016, 04:35 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

If your DVD for the Nav is not scratched, then it could be that the DVD player laser lens is dirty. Try running a DVD cleaner through the slot, and then retry the Nav DVD. Those can be bought at amazon, or stapples, or just about anywhere including Walmart, etc.
Hopefully, that will solve the issue.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 05-24-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:51 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
If your DVD for the Nav is not scratched, then it could be that the DVD player laser lens is dirty. Try running a DVD cleaner through the slot, and then retry the Nav DVD. Those can be bought at amazon, or stapples, or just about anywhere including Walmart, etc.
Hopefully, that will solve the issue.
Or you could try a can of compressed air shot into the slot.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you try "fixing" the NAV/DVD unit I would try the disk in someone else's NAV just to be sure it's not just a bad disc.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:18 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Almost every time I insert a new nav disc (each year), I get the same message.

Step one is to just sit back and wait a minute, usually the message goes away by itself.
Occasionally, I have to eject it and re-insert, then wait another minute.

If you still have the problem, the suggestions above are worth considering.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:04 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Ive had this problem. Tried compressed air with no luck. Tried to see if unit could be taken apart and lens manually cleaned but found it was almost impossible to get the unit disassembled far enough to access the laser lens. Gave up and dealer replaced entire unit. The said they have seen lots of problems with them and the same unit is used in other GM vehicles like Cadillac etc. It costs about $1200 for a new one. The replacement they put in didn't even last 2 months before it did the same thing. They put a third one in that was supposed to be an "upgraded" unit and it has worked good ever since.

I wish this unit used internal memory instead of DVD. Optical storage access in a vehicle is just asking for trouble.

Last edited by CSixDude; 05-25-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

If the shot of canned air doesn't work and you're sure the DVD is OK, try disconnecting the battery "+" terminal and wait 10 minutes. Resetting all C6 controllers like this sometimes works miracles. (You will have to re-register both driver and passenger windows after you reconnect the battery.)
Old 05-25-2016, 01:14 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CSixDude
Ive had this problem. Tried compressed air with no luck. Tried to see if unit could be taken apart and lens manually cleaned but found it was almost impossible to get the unit disassembled far enough to access the laser lens. Gave up and dealer replaced entire unit. The said they have seen lots of problems with them and the same unit is used in other GM vehicles like Cadillac etc. It costs about $1200 for a new one. The replacement they put in didn't even last 2 months before it did the same thing. They put a third one in that was supposed to be an "upgraded" unit and it has worked good ever since.

I wish this unit used internal memory instead of DVD. Optical storage access in a vehicle is just asking for trouble.
Mine is an 08 but I do have extended warranty!!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:43 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Is it a valid OEM navigation DVD disk? Where was it purchased?

If you purchased anywhere else than from gm.navigation.com or a genuine GM dealer then you have most likely purchased a pirated DVD copy.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4G
Is it a valid OEM navigation DVD disk? Where was it purchased?

If you purchased anywhere else than from gm.navigation.com or a genuine GM dealer then you have most likely purchased a pirated DVD copy.

Copies are a shot in the dark... sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't, depending on disc quality, how they were burned, etc etc.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Got it from GM
Old 05-25-2016, 04:10 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

The problem isn't the disc, it's the Nav unit. GM has upgraded it 3 or 4 times already to try to fix issues reading discs. If you have an extended warranty I'd highly recommend getting the dealer to replace the Nav unit before your warranty expires. The have a diagnostic test they will run on it and they will replace it if it fails. Make sure they get the newest part number when they replace it because they have several part numbers in the system.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:04 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Johnny - By the way, I'd recommend you take it to Moritz Chevrolet on the west side of Ft Worth, near 820 and Camp Bowie. They do a lot of C6 work and are probably the best service center in the whole metroplex.

Last edited by CSixDude; 05-25-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I have found in the past, that when I used Nero Express and Verbatim CR-R to make MP3's, that they would work flawlessly. Just a few months ago, using the same process (Default on Nero Express) and Verbatim CD-R, the CD started to skip, and freeze up. A store bought Audio CD would work OK. I was thinking maybe the laser lens was a bit dirty, so I used air in a can, and a CD cleaner, and it seemed to work on the MP3 CD...for awhile, then the same thing happened, skip and freeze up. Just for fun, I tried another copy program, IMGBurn, with a Verbatim CD-R, and it hasn't missed a beat, works great again.
I'm not sure why the copy using Nero Express suddenly won't work as it did, so it remains a mystery.

Now, I have used IMGBurn with Verbatim DVD+R-DL to make a copy of the original NAV DVD, and that has always worked A-OK for the past 2 updates.
It appears that IMGBurn is the go to copy program for the C6 Radio (for now) Maybe the next IMGBurn program update will **** that up as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Inserting Nav disc and still get msg Please insert Nav Disc!

Quick Reply: Inserting Nav disc and still get msg Please insert Nav Disc!