C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Tvegas
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade Question

Looking to put an aftermarket double din stereo in my 2007 C6. My installer has assured me I won't lose my chimes (wired into factory radio) and that I can add an amp to the factory Bose speakers with no issues. Is this plausible? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:21 PM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I would post this in the audio section. Yes it cane be done, but you need to buy some other components that allow a aftermarket head unit to work with the factory equipment, steering controls, hud etc. There is a member markz ,I think that defiantly knows his stuff and you will see he has helped a lot of people trouble shoot and solve problems. The biggest problem or weak link most guys find is with the factory speakers themselves more so than the head unit. Read up lots of good info, and good luck.

Last edited by KABAL182; 05-17-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I've had an aftermarket in my '06 for years; didn't lose the 'chimes'. Still have Bose speakers/amp, so can't answer your question about adding an amp.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Tvegas
Intermediate

My bad-thank you!
Old 05-17-2016, 03:28 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Your chimes will work with the correct adapter. I am not sure if you can drive the Bose door speakers with an aftermarket amp.

Mine was a non Bose system, but I just replaced all of the speakers and added a sub when I added a Kenwood Nav head unit and a Kenwood amp.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Get the correct adapter and you will not lose any of the chimes. It's best to replace the Bose amp and speakers if you add a new head unit. Markz is a great source for info look in the audio section as suggested. For new equipment and good info go to Double D Mods
http://www.doubledmods.com/

Talk to Dennis he is by far the corvette audio guy. Best price and service by far.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:06 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

First, let me echo that Dennis at Double D Mods is great.

Next, you have a couple of options. I bought a new double din from Dennis last year and he pre-wired it with the correct adapters so it was completely plug and play into the existing amp and speakers.

Changing the door speakers is more complicated. They are self amplified and the size is odd so an adapter is necessary to fit new components. You would require a amp for them should you chose to replace them.

The other speakers are powered by the factory amp - yes, even the non Bose cars have an amp.

You could simply replace the head unit and have decent sound. Replacing the amplifier and other speakers, as you know, will be more work.

Please keep us posted. Pictures always welcome.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:25 PM
Tvegas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unixcorn
First, let me echo that Dennis at Double D Mods is great.

Next, you have a couple of options. I bought a new double din from Dennis last year and he pre-wired it with the correct adapters so it was completely plug and play into the existing amp and speakers.

Changing the door speakers is more complicated. They are self amplified and the size is odd so an adapter is necessary to fit new components. You would require a amp for them should you chose to replace them.

The other speakers are powered by the factory amp - yes, even the non Bose cars have an amp.

You could simply replace the head unit and have decent sound. Replacing the amplifier and other speakers, as you know, will be more work.

Please keep us posted. Pictures always welcome.
Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes. Everything arrives via FedEx next week
Old 05-18-2016, 01:14 AM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure where you were looking to add an amp w/o changing the speakers. Adding a extra amp between the headunit and the Bose amp will increase the chance of distortion, afaik. If you are going to add an amp between the Bose amp and the speakers, or cut out the Bose amp, you might as well just replace the speakers. The Bose speakers are mediocre to begin with and I doubt adding more power to them will do much.

Last edited by Firewater Burns; 05-18-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:31 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You can't replace just the Bose amps without replacing the Bose speakers too.

The Bose speakers require "special" tweaking and those features reside inside the Bose amps.

The radio/head-unit has a flat output so replacing it and then using the rest of the Bose system is relatively easy, but you need a specific "adapter" to retain the chimes.

IMO Dennis at DoubleD Mods is the best source for correct and well priced turn-key systems. Markcz is also an excellent source of information. Both can be tracked down on the Audio/Electronics Forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo Upgrade Question

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade Question