C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rodents Strike. Where's this Part From?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:02 AM
Thmprr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over here we can still use Wolfram baits, as soon as we saw the damage we put them around in that shed. So far no bodies found. We have another system we're going to try which is an ultrasonic device that plugs into a wall outlet, it's supposed to drive mice and rats crazy, also insects like spiders, cockroaches and ants.
We'll see how it works.
We heard from the company today that's got the job to repair it, unfortunately there is no Chevrolet parts structure in New Zealand, the GM car here is the Holden, but few parts interchange. So it looks like they will need to work online to source t he parts. The repair company are experienced in converting LHD USA cars to RHD, so work on most of the popular USA Sports type cars. They did say they may have to source some parts from salvaged cars. I don't have a problem with that as the car is an '06 anyway. All I want is for it to look as good as it was before the rodent attack, not to be a new car.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

How long was it left unattended to accrue this much damage?

I haven't had any luck with the ultrasonic generators. I hope your luck exceeds mine there.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 AM
cforcht
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thmprr
Over here we can still use Wolfram baits, as soon as we saw the damage we put them around in that shed. So far no bodies found. We have another system we're going to try which is an ultrasonic device that plugs into a wall outlet, it's supposed to drive mice and rats crazy, also insects like spiders, cockroaches and ants.
We'll see how it works.
been there done that. the ultrasonic devices DO NOT work. they are a scam. save your money and buy the raticator. I dont like to poison them because then they die somewhere like in the walls and so forth and are hard to get to to get rid of them. there is another trick that works pretty well. get a 5 gal bucket and fill it about 3/4 full of water then sprinkle the top of the water with sunflower seeds until the water is covered. then place a board from the ground up to the edge of the bucket so they can climb up there. will drown many of them at a go works for mice and rats. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Are those droppings in the picture with the hood strut? That will tell you what the critter was.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Thmprr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, those are Rat droppings, there was a big pile under the car. All that damage happened in 2 weeks!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:08 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Rats are amazing. We had a rat in one place I lived. It chewed through a steel can of food. Not aluminum, but steel. Scary in a way.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:30 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Glue traps or poison. Put it where other critters cant get to, like in a corner behind something. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:44 AM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Rats love to eat wiring. My son parks is 5 Series BMW outside. The car hadn't been used in a couple of days and then when his wife went to use it, they discovered the wiring had substantial damage. Insurance covered it.

I had a big Class A motorhome which had miles of wiring running thru and underneath it. I put rat poison in each of the bins in the basement of the coach. Even tho it was stored outdoors when not in use, I never had a problem with rat-eaten wiring.

Good luck. Hope your insurance covers you.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:20 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

This did remind me to renew/replace all of the cheese in the mouse traps in all my garages and sheds yesterday.

Quick Reply: Rodents Strike. Where's this Part From?