C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connected Battery, Alarm Won't Shut Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Connected Battery, Alarm Won't Shut Off

I was hoping to get the car out today after storing it for the winter since November, but when I connected my battery again, all the lights flashed and the alarm sounded, but neither of my fobs would shut it off. I disconnected the positive cable immediately. I did not wait to see if the alarm would shut itself off automatically out of not wanting to disturb any of my neighbours.

Since neither of my fobs responded, I am assuming I may be in need of a new car battery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the search function didn't yield any specific information.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2016, 09:41 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Battery is low. Charge the battery then put it back in the car. It thinks you are trying to steal the car.
The following users liked this post:
Polar Jet (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:32 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 523 Likes on 394 Posts

dead fobs?

I would get new fob batteries and charge car battery.
Polar Jet (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:35 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Did you have the battery plugged in to a charger since November? If not, the battery probably needs to be charged, or replaced. I would try charging it first. My guess is its just a low battery.
Polar Jet (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:48 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

That's a known symptom of a low car battery. Charge it up and then connect it.
Polar Jet (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:52 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Had the exact same symptom yesterday. I hopped in and the car didn't start. No FOB warning a couple of times. I tried the FOB in the glove box slot, still nothing. Nav DVD was spinning the whole time and the check engine light was also illuminated. I thought I'd try just resetting the system and disconnected the battery. After initial disconnect, I couldn't reconnect the battery without the alarm (or something like the alarm in it's final death throes) going off.

Pulled the battery out, took it to Pepboys for testing and it was showing 10.2 volts and no longer able to hold a charge. Picked up new battery and I was back in business!

I don't know if your battery is bad, but at a minimum it's low. I'd try charging it or jump starting the car (and driving around for a while to charge it) and see if that fixes your issue.

Last edited by DigitalWidgets; 04-18-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Polar Jet (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.
I had both fobs tested today and my #2 fob was dead so I replaced the battery in it. Since my #1 was sending signal, I can eliminate it as being the cause. I picked up a new car battery too and will throw it in next weekend.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:53 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Jet
I was hoping to get the car out today after storing it for the winter since November, but when I connected my battery aga#in, all the lights flashed and the alarm sounded, but neither of my fobs would shut it off. I disconnected the positive cable immediately. I did not wait to see if the alarm would shut itself off automatically out of not wanting to disturb any of my neighbours.

Since neither of my fobs responded, I am assuming I may be in need of a new car battery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the search function didn't yield any specific information.

Thanks
Open the door. Happened to me yesterday. Fob didnt stop it. Opened the door alarm stopped

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Connected Battery, Alarm Won't Shut Off

Quick Reply: Connected Battery, Alarm Won't Shut Off