C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:28 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Back up camera

Has anyone had a back up camera installed on their 06 C6?

If so, have you have any problems with it and what is an approximate cost?

I have been given a quote of about $600 installed and it would also us the nav screen.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2016, 05:59 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by rakuhn
Has anyone had a back up camera installed on their 06 C6?

If so, have you have any problems with it and what is an approximate cost?

I have been given a quote of about $600 installed and it would also us the nav screen.

Thanks
WOW!!! $600.00 to plug in a video input into an aftermarket Nav unit. Who is giving you this quote? Is it for the OEM Nav unit?

I have a back up camera (mounted in the front for parking) and mounted a stand alone monitor into the driver sunvisor. I think I paid $30.00 for both the monitor and the camera.

At the time, and still as of today, there is no easy way to interface the OEM Nav unit with a BU camera.
There was a product, Lock Pick 360, that interfaced the Nav unit, but it was very unreliable and after a few years, was no longer available.
A new company, NavTool, claims they can do it, but you have to send them the OEM Nav, they rewire it, for about $400.00. The company still hasn't completed one installation as of yet that I know of. It's just a pipe dream until it becomes a reality. There are many threads about it if you search. Many people have paid a down payment for the product, but none have the product as of yet.

If you have an aftermarket Nav unit, with video input, then it's easy to do yourself for way less than $600.00. Only the cost of a BU camera which comes with all the wiring required.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I have an '06 with an after market Kenwood stereo/NAV unit I installed a few years ago. Fortunately, it also had the backup camera option & I install one a couple months back. Camera cost me less then $40 dollars and it took a little over an hour to install ...
Attached Images   
Old 04-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Get_UmJ13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Welker1
I have an '06 with an after market Kenwood stereo/NAV unit I installed a few years ago. Fortunately, it also had the backup camera option & I install one a couple months back. Camera cost me less then $40 dollars and it took a little over an hour to install ...
I want to add this to my car as well. Haven't gotten around to it. Where did you find you backup camera and do you think I could wire it to work with the factory Nav screen?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:45 PM
yn1bennett
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Back Up Camera

I went to WISH.COM and purchased a monitor that has 2 inputs. I installed a backup camera and a front facing camera. I placed an ON/OFF switch under the dash above my left leg to turn on the front camera so I can turn it on anytime I want (especially when parking so I won't pull up on the concrete stop on each parking space).
The backup camera is connected to your backup lights and will come on only in reverse.
The monitor will only come on when it gets an input from the rear camera or the front camera.
If the front camera is on and I put the car in reverse, rear camera over-rides the front camera.
This is the way the monitor is programed.
Rear is first. Forward is on if the switch is on and not in reverse.
WISH.COM I think I have $45.00 in it all.

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Mikey_T
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I paid $499 for a complete Pioneer 4100 NEX unit and $60 for a rear camera. Installed it all myself and it works great.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:44 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to all and I see we continue to have some very talented folks on this site. I am learning more everyday.
Thanks and it will help me make an informed decision.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:10 PM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
WOW!!! $600.00 to plug in a video input into an aftermarket Nav unit. Who is giving you this quote? Is it for the OEM Nav unit?

I have a back up camera (mounted in the front for parking) and mounted a stand alone monitor into the driver sunvisor. I think I paid $30.00 for both the monitor and the camera.

Do you have specific info on the monitor and cameras you bought. This is the most cost effective thing I've seen, I was not keen on putting another montor somewhere on my dash, but putting it in the visor is genius! its out of the way and perfectly stealthy.

Great stuff!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Get_UmJ13
I want to add this to my car as well. Haven't gotten around to it. Where did you find you backup camera and do you think I could wire it to work with the factory Nav screen?
Got the camera off Amazon; what I really like about it is the base/mount wrapped perfectly around the hatch release button without interfering with its (the buttons) operation.

As I stated, I have an aftermarket stereo/NAV unit; I don't think you can wire a camera into the factory NAV. If you're going to keep the factory unit, I believe the only way to run a backup camera is to use a separate monitor.

Link to camera I purchased:

Amazon.com: Car Rear View Backup Parking Reverse Camera, Built-in Distance Scale Lines, Night Vision Waterproof Camera: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Car Rear View Backup Parking Reverse Camera, Built-in Distance Scale Lines, Night Vision Waterproof Camera: Car Electronics

Last edited by Welker1; 04-19-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:48 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I had an aftermarket stereo installed and had them put in the back up cam at the same time. I use it all the time. I think the entire cost for everything was around 400.00.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:35 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by yn1bennett
I went to WISH.COM and purchased a monitor that has 2 inputs. I installed a backup camera and a front facing camera. I placed an ON/OFF switch under the dash above my left leg to turn on the front camera so I can turn it on anytime I want (especially when parking so I won't pull up on the concrete stop on each parking space).
The backup camera is connected to your backup lights and will come on only in reverse.
The monitor will only come on when it gets an input from the rear camera or the front camera.
If the front camera is on and I put the car in reverse, rear camera over-rides the front camera.

Good luck.

I went to wish, but there is so much stuff that I could not filter it clearly enough. Can you give a model number, or sku, or maker, or something so that I can find that item?

thanks,

Jim
Old 04-20-2016, 12:55 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Mirrors work. Use them and save your cash.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:58 PM
goodd335
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default back up camera

Has anybody tried piecing together the factory Tahoe backup camera into a C6?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:50 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I clipped a mirror with screen in it over existing mirror and works well. See post 6 in this thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...up-camera.html
Old 04-20-2016, 02:03 PM
One Kick
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by goodd335
Has anybody tried piecing together the factory Tahoe backup camera into a C6?
More information on this, please! Thanks.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:42 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by yn1bennett

Good luck.
More info on the equipment you got off wish.com please. Interested in your setup and would like a dual camera monitor (front/rear) similar to your setup, especially at that price.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:01 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by kev1n
Do you have specific info on the monitor and cameras you bought. This is the most cost effective thing I've seen, I was not keen on putting another montor somewhere on my dash, but putting it in the visor is genius! its out of the way and perfectly stealthy.

Great stuff!
Thank You. It was a fairly easy decision once my vanity mirror cover hinge broke, Since I hardly used it, and I did want a BU camera (in my case, a front facing camera) for parking, it was easy to rip the vanity assembly out, cut out the vanity cover to fit the monitor, and attach the cover/monitor to the sunvisor.
I find it works well, is stealth and not seen unless the sunvisor is lowered to park.
Again, I seldom use the sunvisor to block the sun.
I have a PDF of the process, and the components I used if anyone wants it. Just PM me and ask for it.
As far as the BU camera and monitor, I just bought generic, low cost components, and they work just as well as higher priced items, which are probably made by the same manufacturer before they put their company name on them.
Amazon or e-bay has a wide selection at various price points.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:05 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I got mine from Dennis at Double D when I got my new radio head unit from him. Cost was about $50, so it's not the highest resolution in the world, but it works quite well. I've never had any problem with it. Installation was a part of the radio installation (which was free at the time, since he was running a special). I can't remember the brand, but I think some that he had were >$200. I just didn't see the need for an expensive one, and haven't regretted the decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Back up camera

Quick Reply: Back up camera