C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inexpensive mod that will put a smile in your face

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 PM
greatgonzer
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks really good. I'm impressed. Nice touch
Old 03-28-2016, 08:31 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice,I want to do this but my door panels are red&black so what do I use chrome?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:37 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

NSF ... if you get the 20-footer, do you think it would be economically feasible to split a package of the stuff with you? Wouldn't have a bunch of it laying around the house after finishing a subtle door trim that way.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:06 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bucwheat
Nice,I want to do this but my door panels are red&black so what do I use chrome?
White or silver?
Old 03-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I might try the amazon item in red since there are little touches of it in the interior already in the dash, seat belt receptacles, but just the door panels separation between the titanium and ebony, nothing more, subtlety is my motto
NSF

That yellow Kleenex pack in the door pocket really clashes with the Titanium interior...
Old 03-29-2016, 12:27 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I was thinking of getting the trim in red also but it's 20 feet long and costs a lot more. Did you find a link with it in 10 feet? This is the same brand as they yellow that was linked; there are other red ones but the ratings on them are not very good.
This is the one I ordered
NSF
Amazon.com: Red Gap Trim for Car SUV Truc Interior and Exterior 8 Feet Long: Automotive Amazon.com: Red Gap Trim for Car SUV Truc Interior and Exterior 8 Feet Long: Automotive
Old 03-29-2016, 12:29 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

NSF ... if you get the 20-footer, do you think it would be economically feasible to split a package of the stuff with you? Wouldn't have a bunch of it laying around the house after finishing a subtle door trim that way.
Amazon.com: Red Gap Trim for Car SUV Truc Interior and Exterior 8 Feet Long: Automotive Amazon.com: Red Gap Trim for Car SUV Truc Interior and Exterior 8 Feet Long: Automotive
NSF
Old 03-29-2016, 12:31 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
That yellow Kleenex pack in the door pocket really clashes with the Titanium interior...
Wifey just doesn't get it, drives me crazy I'm sort of **** if she changes the temp on her side I match mine
NSF
Old 03-29-2016, 01:04 AM
C5-1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Welker1
Fun idea, thanks ... I decided to give it a try. Have a DSOM, so I knew I could only come close. Fortunately, my oldest granddaughter has parachute cord in just about every color, so I found a dark orange that came close ...
Old 03-29-2016, 01:10 AM
C5-1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderxkx
Really great idea. I'll try and order the red trim from Amazon. I couldn't find anything with prime so 4-7 day wait will have to do. I have an ebony interior, and red really ought to give it a nice touch. Thanks for this easy and cool mod, OP.
You're welcome. It will be worth the wait
Old 03-29-2016, 01:19 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
Well I like to MOD and I get positive feedback at the car shows but a lot of CF members have an aversion to changing the looks so I keep most of the mods to myself where cf is concerned .
The hell with what CF thinks. I used an almost discarded toilet paper cardboard tube to dress up my shifter column. Looks bad-***!! Hahahah

Just kidding. But you do what you like. If we all remained status quo, there would be no individuality. Now, get out there and add them spinners to the wheels and them curb feelers. Hahahah

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 03-29-2016 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:35 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
The hell with what CF thinks. I used an almost discarded toilet paper cardboard tube to dress up my shifter column. Looks bad-***!! Hahahah

Just kidding. But you do what you like. If we all remained status quo, there would be no individuality. Now, get out there and add them spinners to the wheels and them curb feelers. Hahahah
I do what I want and often post it here; some like it, some don't. Most people who see my car in person, either at shows or else where, have nothing but positive comments (whether they're just being polite or not). Regardless, I do what I like, which is why I normally only ask for opinions on different product brands or experiences with a specific product. Also, hopefully, some of the things I post, like the op here, give other's ideas on things they can do.

Last edited by Welker1; 03-29-2016 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:07 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC

Well I definitely mod how I see fit and have posted plenty of photos but sometimes the mods just come off better in person.

It's funny you say spinners and curb feelers. In the early 80's I had a set of aftermarket black wheels with blue spinners and the late 70's curb feelers

I've modded everything I have ever owned since my first car. I don't plan on stopping now
Old 03-29-2016, 08:50 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Ah, thank you. I didn't see the shorter one, and that looks to be just about the right length. I think I'll order some ... need to get a few things from Amazon anyway. Good thing about this is that if it doesn't look all that great it's easily reversible and costs next to nothing.

Wonder how it'd look to put a piece of this stuff in the gap that seems to collect small stones, near the rear wheel?

Last edited by RocketDawg; 03-29-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:05 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Ah, thank you. I didn't see the shorter one, and that looks to be just about the right length. I think I'll order some ... need to get a few things from Amazon anyway. Good thing about this is that if it doesn't look all that great it's easily reversible and costs next to nothing.

Wonder how it'd look to put a piece of this stuff in the gap that seems to collect small stones, near the rear wheel?
Pipedreams (years ago) had a DYI on this using weather stripping.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:11 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The fix for the stone issue is to remove the rear wheel liners, and put a bead of caulking on the gap on the rear side. The DIY (in FAQ section) used the foam strips between the fender and the liner to close the gap so no stones would get into the cavity.
I had the wheel liners removed to add extra insulation in the cavity to reduce tire/road noise, and sealed that gap with caulking. No more issues.

Pipedreams DIY
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ml?forum_id=74

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 03-29-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:22 PM
grundy35
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think I have to give this a try!

Get notified of new replies

To Inexpensive mod that will put a smile in your face

Old 03-31-2016, 03:36 AM
drthomas60
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bought mine - ??

Thanks for the idea, with my victory red I thought the red welting would break up the ebony interior just enough. I do have a couple questions though. i hastily tried to install a test fit and I'm having a degree of difficulty in some spot going in smoothly, has anyone used any tools or just press in? it seems like only certain spots I was thinking of using a plastic butter knife to coax it along, as i dont want to scratch the door panel.. any ideas? I bought 1/8 inch red marine welting from fabricguru.com by the foot for those looking for certain lengths.

Second question is what are folks doing about the cut ends, i thought about digging out the foam inside and sealing the end someway, am i being too OCD to worry about the rough cut end? Maybe just a red sharpie on the white inner foam?

Thanks for the idea and I will post up photos when installed.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:52 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 694 Posts

TIP:

If you have an issue with the piece popping out at the ends (due to a trim gap that is a little too wide), use a little rubber cement on it before pushing in the gap. The excess glue rolls right off after drying and a toothpick can scrape out any remaining in the crack.

It also looks good curved around the radio/AC bezel where it meets the dash.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:30 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Joe B.
Nice little accent.
women say that to me all the time
Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Wifey just doesn't get it, drives me crazy I'm sort of **** if she changes the temp on her side I match mine
NSF
lol... I do that in my Jeep, they have to match.. there's a sync button so whenever she changes her side, I have to go back to the settings screen to sync them to change together when the drivers side gets changed... lmao

Quick Reply: Inexpensive mod that will put a smile in your face